Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,698 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a position in an energy corp in OKC, there is a good chance I accept the job.

I will need to relocate. I need some recommendations on schools and good neighborhoods. I lived in Tulsa for 3 years, so I know and like the Okie way of life . My kids are 15, 9 and 5 years old. The three of them are accomplished swimmers. I would like to have the opportunity to continue with the practice of this sport.

A modest house in a quite and family-friendly neighborhood will be great...

Thank you....!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Do you want in OKC proper, or are you looking at suburbs, as well?

Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 AM

498 posts, read 1,606,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua500 View Post
I've been offered a position in an energy corp in OKC, there is a good chance I accept the job.

I will need to relocate. I need some recommendations on schools and good neighborhoods. I lived in Tulsa for 3 years, so I know and like the Okie way of life . My kids are 15, 9 and 5 years old. The three of them are accomplished swimmers. I would like to have the opportunity to continue with the practice of this sport.

A modest house in a quite and family-friendly neighborhood will be great...

Thank you....!!!
Which energy company? You can send me a direct message if you prefer to respond in private. Just curious as I will begin my hunt next year.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

259 posts, read 1,072,996 times
With young kids you'll probably want to stick to suburban schools districts. Mustang public schools have a swimteam and down here you are within close proximity to OCCC aquatic facility (great for yr round swimming and it's open to the public). There's plenty of nice suburban neighborhoods in the Mustang school district and you'll be able to find new construction for under $200k. Somer's Pointe and Somer's Village are two nice Ideal Homes neighborhoods off of Garth Brooks Blvd. in Yukon (you'd be really close to shopping/ chain restaurants). If you can afford something with some land/bigger lots then there's lots of nice homes up and down HWY 92 (aka Cemetery Rd) from Mustang (hwy 152) to Yukon (1-40). All of these are Mustang schools.

Ok moving past Mustang...lol Edmond schools will more than likely have a good swim program. Their high schools are known for great athletics. And finally, depending on where your energy corp is located, Norman schools are good as well- however if you're working downtown or north of downtown (Chesapeake), then Norman will be a long commute (30-50 minutes).

Putnam City schools is another district to consider, but look at homes that attend Putman North High school since it seems to be nicest of the three. So this would put you west and north of Lake Hefner- which is an awesome area for running/biking/sailing.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

180 posts, read 668,646 times
The further you can move from the city center, the better. Avoid NE and S OKC (the part in OK county) like the plague.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
I would look at Edmond. The schools here are excellent and there are lots of swimmers/swim teams. I know each of the 3 high schools have them as well as swim clubs. I believe that currently the swim teams practice at both the YMCA and the pool at UCO, but the city just passed a bond election to build a new aquatics center. It is a joint venture between the city, school district and the YMCA. This will be 50 meter pool that will be used for swim meets.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:27 PM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Edmond Memorial recently put a female swimmer (Samantha Woodward) at Stanford. Very rare for an Oklahoma swimmer to get a scholarship to a program of that stature.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 178,737 times
Edmond schools has a swimming team.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,698 times
Thank you so much for all the information...It'll be very helpful...!!!...for me, comfort, good schools, sports are very important....I don't mind living at the suburbs....I'll be working at OKC downtown...

It's great to have an OK Swimmer on scholarship for a university swim Program...That's exactly what I want for my kids...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,660 times
Don't move to Mustang.

I grew up there from elementary through most of middle school so I know what I'm talking about here. Yes, it has seen a lot of growth and the new neighborhoods run on the nicer side, but if you drive straight through on Highway 152, most of the town just looks ugly and rather "white trash"-like. Just about every business advertises themselves along Highway 152 with huge signs that are UGLY.

People who own older homes in Mustang seem to just let them go and deteriorate...

The high school has gotten some renovation but is still very old and has the reputation nickname "Slutstang." Mustang schools are great, but they certainly don't come off as such... The 9th graders of MHS attend in the old middle school building. When I was in middle school, we went there for something that I can't remember, and man that building is G-H-E-T-T-O.

The adults are protective, conservative Christians while their kids are rebels. This is going off of what old friends have told me.

Downtown Mustang? There isn't one. At all. Mustang's "downtown" consists of 2 drugstores and 2 strip malls at the intersection of Highways 4 and 152.

And Yukon is Mustang's twin. Yukon actually has a downtown though, but quite honestly... It's horrific.

I recommend Edmond. The city is nice (landscaped roads, not as many truck stop-like signs) and the schools are great. I spent 8th grade in Edmond schools and it was a nice experience. There aren't as many older areas but from what I've seen, the homeowners of older homes seem to at least try to keep them kept up.

Downtown Edmond is also actually a downtown.

Since I spent a year in Edmond as opposed to 8 years in Mustang, I can't offer so much to compare. Don't get me wrong, I like Mustang - my dad lives there now and I visit him very often from college in Norman, but there are other areas of the OKC metro (Edmond) that are sooooo much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma