Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 43,661 times

Advertisements

A number of years ago while traveling, we met a veteran and his wife who said they were home based in such a community. They showed pictures of the tall pines and told of the peaceful, safe, inexpensive lifestyle. We always meant to check the place out but never got there. Now that sort of lifestyle is starting to look pretty good and our information seems to have been lost. My google search revealed nothing. Finding this site, am hopeful someone out there knows what I am talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 10:13 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,953 times
Here is a link:

United War Vets Colony

I drove through the colony years ago. My then husband was a vet and I tried to get him to join, but he was a confirmed city boy. It is in a very beautiful area of big hills (actually mountains) and clear streams. I suggest you visit the area first (stay at beautiful Robber's Cave State Park cabins), and see if it is compatible to your tastes.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:54 AM

I guess I'll have to take a day trip over there to see the museum.

This is from the travelok.com website:

You'll find Wilburton nestled between the San Bois and Winding Stair
Mountains, along the infamous Robbers Trail. The sandstone caves at Robbers
Cave State Park reportedly were favored hideouts for the likes of Frank and
Jesse James, and Belle Starr. Visitors can stay in cabins, the 20-room
lodge, or in one of five campgrounds. Park amenities include fishing, a
swimming pool, lake, miniature golf, hiking and biking and horseback riding
trails, a full-menu restaurant and a restored CCC-built bathhouse - now a
nature center and gift shop. Local museums include the Lutie Coal Miner's
Museum (early-day mining exhibits displayed in a 1901 coal company house)
and Veterans' Museum (located in the only U.S. colony established for
veterans of the Spanish-American War).

Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,204 times
Default Have Maps and RULES for Membership @ Vet Colony

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrdaze View Post
A number of years ago while traveling, we met a veteran and his wife who said they were home based in such a community. They showed pictures of the tall pines and told of the peaceful, safe, inexpensive lifestyle. We always meant to check the place out but never got there. Now that sort of lifestyle is starting to look pretty good and our information seems to have been lost. My google search revealed nothing. Finding this site, am hopeful someone out there knows what I am talking about?
It's still only about $200 to join for life there and they have a really fine place.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 43,661 times
Thank you so much for your help and information. This is certainly worth a look. Interesting in that there are no taxes and a lot is only $200.? Must be a stampede to this place??? The maps show it as being very green.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 AM

I don't think there is any stampede to the colony. This is a very rural area, no malls, nightlife, yuppie restaurants, so it is not everyone's cup of tea. Yes, it is very green, as in pine trees.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM

20 posts, read 98,743 times
Default Wilburton Resident

Hi.

I live here in Wilburton, and the guy you need is Loyd Herndon. His number is 1918 465 3871.

We have information about the city at Wilburton Chamber of Commerce

You can call the chamber at 465 2579. They have houses for sale at the colony, which includes the city lake area, I think. Ask about the city lake housing if you get in touch with them. You can ask me in this forum if you need more help.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi Wintertime

Do you have any good local restaurants in Wilburton that are open late afternoon?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Resteraunts

Yes, Dos Primos is open from 11-9, their number is 465 4900. They have great shrimp quesadeas, and they are located behind the E-Z mart on main. there is also adelitas 465 0118. Nixon's BBQ is inside the choctaw travel plaza. It's pretty good. A new resteraunt, Granny's Kitchen will be opening at the park later this year. I think it will be a dinner.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM

There is also a wealth of information about the town with pictures and numbers on the chamber site. Everything from food to the college and contact information for realtors or people with rental property.

Wilburton Chamber of Commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma