Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

774 posts, read 1,857,132 times

Advertisements

Any one have any comments on Guthrie?

I've heard it originally was a black township and that Langston University is there (a black university) ... but I recently drove through the area and was surprised to see that it appears to be ... about 70% white (at least) and that the area was larger ... and growing ... than I assumed it would be.

From the truck window, people seemed to be getting along fine ... but I've heard that life there isn't as ... harmonious as one would think.

What have you heard? Are there racial problems ... areas of "stress"?

I want to find a little town to move OUTSIDE of. I've met some black "country" guys from Oklahoma who talked about rural life south of Oklahoma City. "THem good people down theah ... dey ain't racist ... dey juss country!"

(Before you take offense ... I'm black ... from California ... and I think the hardest ... problems I'm going to have adjusting to country life won't be racial ... as much as cultural. Rural people look at things differently ... and people who live in rural areas tend to need their neighbors more than alienated people from urban areas.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 03:49 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
veganwriter, as you know there are no perfect places. There is a thread here on guthrie, but it doesn't cover racial issues. i hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:05 PM

533 posts, read 1,710,878 times
Langston University has always been in Langston, OK as far as I know at least. It is historically black but is now integrated of course. The community is still heavily black. It isn't far from Guthrie - maybe 10 miles or so.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,046 times
Hello fellow Californian. Please don't come to Guthrie. I moved here 3 years ago thinking it would be a great place for my kids to grow up........WOW was I wrong. This town is a pit. Ya it looks cute and we talked to a lot of people including the police department before we decided to move here they all said it's a great town, nice quiet place to live. Only because no one is talking. We called the police every day for almost a year to get the crack heads out of our yard and off the streets. We deal with punk kids who have no parental control, the police are useless. Look at the sex offender website for the town. Guthrie seems to welcome them. Someone tried to take my son in the midle of the day outside our house. Just do yourself a favor stay away forget you ever heard of Guthrie OK.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:59 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I prefer country over city or community any day. Langston is a pretty decent school. There really is no town to speak of. I don't think there is even a decent cafe off campus. Guthrie is the home of the majority of the faculty and staff from Langston U. I find Guthrie has three purposes in life. 1) they still whine about being the original state capital and having lost it. 2) they focus on history, not the future. 3) they are rapidly being turned into a bedroom community for OKC and they don't like it.

If you want a predominately black community in the OKC area, look for property around Spencer. It is a nice area and is an easy commute to OKC. If you are looking for a predominately black area around Tulsa, look in the Redbird/Haskell area south of Coweta. I don't think race will be an issue wherever you land, but if it is an issue for you, then those communities are worth looking into. I know Tulsa has a large enough Buddhist to have a pretty nice temple, so there must be a vegan community in the area.....but I bet you're gonna have more trouble being vegan, than being black, at least in Oklahoma.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:08 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,497 times
"but I bet you're gonna have more trouble being vegan, than being black, at least in Oklahoma"

That's funny GP, and probably true.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
I am an immigrant with an accent and a pagan. I have NEVER encountered anything but pleasant, friendly and open-minded people.

Of course, that is how I present myself so I guess "you reap what you sow" has some truth to it.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I am an immigrant with an accent and a pagan. "you reap what you sow" has some truth to it.
That's awfully biblical for a pagan schousse!
(Hey GP... Thank me for getting her ire focussed off you for a change!)

Old 03-18-2008, 07:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
That's awfully biblical for a pagan schousse!
(Hey GP... Thank me for getting her ire focussed off you for a change!)
Phooey. Whoever said paganism was equal to ignorance? If you're interested, you learn. My opinions and beliefs are my own, but that doesn't keep me from learning about other ways, and I very much doubt it stops many other people, either. Not if they are curious, anyway.

My mother was one of the 'not curious' types. She remained utterly convinced to the bitter end that the internet was the antichrist in disguise. She'd have prayed for you diligently. After all, computers are the tools of the devil!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I am an immigrant with an accent........
She sounds a lot like she is from Mass.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma