Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Oh dear, form the Texas border I-40 to I-44 through Tulsa is not a toll road. And you don't pay tolls into MO. Go into Kansas and pick US 160 EAST. You will enter Missouri North of Joplin, MO and South of Pittsburg, KS.
Yes, I-44 from OKC through Tulsa to the Missouri line is a toll road. In fact, it's two of them: The Turner and Will Rogers turnpikes.

Quote:
At this junction, find I-71.
[1] Go South on I-71 S to I-44, or continue south to Pea Ridge Civll War Battlefield, Eureka Springs, War Eagle Mill, Fayetteville and Hot Springs, AR. If she does this she will cross through three mountain ranges: Ozark, Boston, and Quichita.
It's not I-71. That's in Ohio. It's US-71 and it does not go through Hot Springs. In NW Arkansas, it's I-540.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM

35 posts, read 60,886 times
Default Ok

There is one toll that will only take change, its on the H.E. Bailey turnpike.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponypenny View Post
Thank you. I just didn't want to get a ticket if the tollroads only require that you have a Parkpass. Some of the tollroads in California, where we are coming from, require you to have a transponder because they don't take cash.

right you are all bridges in california take cash and allow for electronic transponders , and some freeways have dedicated toll lanes and other freeways are toll roads and only use electronic transponders (no cash) but this is only in socal so far not norcal.

https://www.thetollroads.com/commonq...ns/general.php

the oklahoma system seem to only uses the transponders and cash method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahom...pike_Authority

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-12-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I-44 from OKC through Tulsa to the Missouri line is a toll road. In fact, it's two of them: The Turner and Will Rogers turnpikes.

It's not I-71. That's in Ohio. It's US-71 and it does not go through Hot Springs. In NW Arkansas, it's I-540.
I'm going to disgree to this point. I've driven many time from OK to California and never paid one cent from East Tulsa to California. Did OK change all the roads to Toll? Maybe.

I've driven a few times to Hot Springs and I hopped on a 4-lane highway called 71 at the 412 junction. Whether or not there is a new interchange at Hot Springs, I don't know. And I don't know if the route numbers were changed either. It doesn't matter; you'll still have a good time when you get there. It is as unique and as different as Eureka Springs, and the scenery driving down is spectacular.

In off-season many businesses are closed in both towns.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I'm going to disgree to this point. I've driven many time from OK to California and never paid one cent from East Tulsa to California. Did OK change all the roads to Toll? Maybe.

I've driven a few times to Hot Springs and I hopped on a 4-lane highway called 71 at the 412 junction. Whether or not there is a new interchange at Hot Springs, I don't know. And I don't know if the route numbers were changed either. It doesn't matter; you'll still have a good time when you get there. It is as unique and as different as Eureka Springs, and the scenery driving down is spectacular.

In off-season many businesses are closed in both towns.

If you didn't pay a toll between Tulsa and OKC on I-44, it's because you got away with passing the toll booth near Bristow. It's been a toll road since 1953.

Hot Springs: Yes, that's a limited access freeway, but it's US-71, not I-71. US highways are marked with a white shield logo, while interstates have the familiar red and white and blue signs.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:56 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Yes, I-44 between OKC and Tulsa is a toll road. I drive it all the time and have been driving it regularly for the last 6 years. It is the Turner Turnpike.

Once you cross I-35 into OKC it becomes the Kilpatrick Turnpike (but it's not I-44 any longer). I-44 cuts diagonally across OKC from northeast to southwest and is a free road through the city. South of the city, it becomes a toll road once again and goes southwest towards Lawton. If you continue on the Kilpatrick, it basically functions as a loop around the north side of the city and you will end up at I-40 on the west side of town, by Yukon. But none of this really matters because the OP isn't going to Tulsa. She's going to Stillwater.

So the OP could drive I-40/I-44 through OKC without paying a toll, but she mentioned that they need to stop at the Pikepass store which is on the Kilpatrick, so they will need to pick up the turnpike on the west side of town while coming in on I-40, take the Turnpike around town, stop at the Pikepass store, taking the MacArthur exit, and then returning to the turnpike and continuing on to I-35 where they will head north.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times
Once I-44 gets to Tulsa from OKC it's free, but once near Claremore and all the way to the Missouri state line on the way to Joplin, Springfield and St Louis, it becomes a toll road again, the Rogers Turnpike.

See the OK DOT site for the depiction of the turnpikes in OK. Opens a PDF file.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

256 posts, read 617,186 times
Thanks for all the replies. The main turnpike she will be taking is the Cimmaron Turnpike from Stillwater to Tulsa and the Rogers Turnpike from Tulsa to the Missouri State Line. After arriving to Stillwater and spending a few days there getting daughter settled into the dorm at OSU, we took the Cimmaron Turnpike to the Tulsa Airport and it was a easy drive except I ran over a coyote. She will be flying out of Tulsa a few times in the next few months for horseshows and getting her the Pikepass seemed like the easiest way for her to get to Tulsa and you can park at the airport using a Pikepass. She may drive to Missouri too, so I wanted to make sure she did not have to stop for tolls on I-44.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma