Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,532 times

Advertisements

You should follow your gut instinct and heed the warning these men are giving you. I have debated about putting this out there but I believe it is time. When Jerry Sr. was alive, he let a man from another state, another church come and work at the Ranch. Jerry Sr. thought that this man could be reformed, rehabilitated. From what you ask? Molesting young boys. We are unclear as to whether or not Sr. told Jerry Jr. the truth about this man before he passed away. Over these past years, the Ranch lost monetary support due to the fact of this man working there and finally decided it was in their best interest for him to move on. How I pray to God daily that this man did not touch any of the young boys while he was there... while the Ranch decided to look the other way....instead of standing up and admitting their mistake which was in letting him come there! Concerned citizens did let the local authorities know who this man was and what he was just in case someone came forward with accusations. How do you in good conscience let a man who hides under the umbrella of religion in order to satisfy his lust for young men come to a place for troubled boys and have full access to them? HOW....? Then, when the heat is on you let him go to yet another church like nothing at all? What does that tell you folks about this Ranch?

Last edited by explorer2013; 01-04-2015 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,534 times
I was there In 2006 ... there was so much sex going on between all the younger guys and older guys. Lol made so much money for them selling candles. Piece of **** place
Praise the Lord on Wed Sun Proverbs every day then s3x in between. So confusing to a kid the adult. I was finishing high school which btw is not even a GED. I was shocked when joining the Navy lol jerk offs anyways this totally made me loose faith in Men of God...any and all.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:08 AM

8 posts, read 28,889 times
I was there from August 15, 1988 to May 29, 1992. Everybody had a different experience there. There were times that I hated it and there were times I actually enjoyed it. My faith in Christ began at CBR. I wasn't a Christian before and I was certainly on my way to hell. My mother had died when I was 10 in 1985 from a car accident and I had a father who didn't want to raise me. I was pawned off to my grandparents who then placed me in the boys home. My grandmother swore that I would be there for only 1 year. She lied.

My first year was really tough. Four days after my arrival, I received "licks" or as normal people call them, "swats" for the first time. That paddle scared me so bad that I requested Bible pages almost every time I got disciplined. Now am I saying that spanking your kids is wrong? NO, but being spanked with a 3/4" thick piece of wood is definitely harsh punishment.

Some of the previous posts by other people who attended CBR are going to be different than mine. For instance, while I was there nobody was having sex with the young men. Although there was a time that a young man was caught having sex with a horse. This individual had some serious problems. Like real psychotic behavior. Right, John Robinson? You didn't know that we saw you doing that out at David's ranch.
HA! That's what you get for punching me behind the Old Kitchen when I wasn't looking. JERK!

Then again, there were young men that I will never forget. Amazing people who will always mean the world to me.

I will name you:
Eric Silvers, Tray Amburn (rest in peace, I love you, BROTHER. See you in heaven. Wait for me.), Israel Contreras, Tommy Johnson, Alex Carriaga (thanks for letting me stay at your house in 2009. I will always remember your kindness), Nathan Furrh, Kenny Anderson, Gene Grosscup, Chris Fuhrmann, Ron Tucker, Lundy English, Jeremy Rainwater, Randy Wilmott, DJ Ketcher, Shawn Ham, Michael Alexander, Guy Nolan, Bill Marshall, Jeremy Carter, Al Wright (I'll never forget when you got Bell's palsy. That was nuts), Steve McGee (Dude, I swear, I never meant to hit your nose on the basketball court. Total accident. I'm so sorry.), Paul Bunn, Johnny Wenzel (you're a good dude, I'm sorry I put Flex-All 454 in your underwear. Didn't think it would mess you up. Was just trying to have a chuckle), Brett Watson, Jerry Bowman, Brandon Burley, Bob Mendenhall (thank you for teaching me how to play chess. You have a beautiful family), Billy & Robert Bradshaw, John Lindow, Clayton Crider (glad you got a hold of me. You were just a little dude. I felt so bad for you), & BRAD POTEET (you are a great man of God and I am glad we are neighbors and always will be brothers).

If you weren't mentioned, I'm sorry. I'm 41 with four kids. It's hard to remember everyone. Just be glad you are not on my next list.
The guys who were total A-holes to me and made life there much harder than it already was:
Aaron Newell (you're a total dick), Nick and Andy Krontz (stop your arguing), Chris Propes (you have no clue), Jerry Harris (you are so full of yourself. You made children feel worthless and you should have never been a staff member), George Hall (you are just plain ignorant), John Goucher (you bug), John Robinson (*********), Kevin Deyhle (you lied to get people in trouble), Bill Roy (need I say anything?), and last of all Brother Jeff (you are a terrible human being).

Phew! Glad that's off my chest.

Now considering there were probably 100 more people I can't even think of, those odds aren't that bad.

It took me a while to accept my place in life. I had to believe God had something in store for me. Life had to be better than my experience at CBR. But one thing is certain, I would not be who I am today, had I not gone there. Sure times were bad. And sometimes they were good. High school life in an all boys facility is not gonna be fun all the time. No girls, no proms, minimal communication with family members, no high school track/football/baseball/etc. Try bottling up the testosterone of 50 men. Good luck with that.

Ron Dice- I'm sorry your departure from the Ranch was under those circumstances. I always thought you were very cool and it surprised me when you left. I was there for only a few months at the time. Weren't you courting Martha? Lol

Old 01-06-2016, 03:58 AM

I was there for 4 years (1988-1992) . I have no idea who you are talking about. Nobody was having any sex while I was there.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Are there any public records of their wrong doing or were there any charges against them? Can you point me in any direction so that I can find out about this place today? I am inquiring for a dear friends great grandson. Thank you for any help you may offer.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:24 AM

All the allegations concerning sexual misconduct about the staff are completely false. To the best of my knowledge, staff members weren't forcing young men to do anything sexually. The man who is saying this is quite bitter about the ranch and his time there. Two ways to look at life: You can go on in life blaming your past for what a failure you turned out to be or you can move on and just do better.

Like I said in previous comments. I was unhappy with certain people while I was there. Some of them were staff, but I was never violated. I was however, in a vulnerable position as a young teen and some of the staff were insensitive to my personal needs. Many of the young men that were there became some of my greatest friends. I still talk to several of them via internet and every once in a while a phone call.

The format of the ranch is very much like a juvenile detention center. Sad but true, it has to be. Many of the young men that go there are from terrible upbringing. Some need harsh discipline to "wake up" in life. Several young men that were there when I attended had serious issues. Many other kids didn't belong there. There was nothing wrong with them. They should have been at home but mom and dad sent them away.

Would I recommend this place?
YES. Only to a kid who has absolutely no remorse for doing bad, inflicts harm on others physically, and needs spiritual awakening.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,134 times
Thank you all so much for your honest reviews! I was seriously about to send my 14yr old troubled boy there. As I read brought their rules, my stomach turned. While I hear most of you say you're no longer believers of The Word, please let me tell you that what they did has nothing to do with Jesus. I am so thankful for discernment and His guidance making me sick to my stomach......it is the only reason I started searching for reviews....thank you, thank you, thank you for saving my son from the horror you all endured.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 PM

Sometimes kids seem like bad kids. Sometimes they do bad things, but they're kids. The power of a loving parent is 1,000 times greater when the kid feels it. If your son is having trouble in general or is struggling with adjustments of growing up, don't give up on him. If you send him away, he will only think you have no place in your heart for him. Parenting is extremely difficult. I know, I have 4 children. My daughter will be 18 in February and it's a miracle that she is not pregnant, dropping out of school, doing drugs, or worse. My sons are still very young, but I can see the struggle unfolding with their personal developments as young men.
My point is: Please try to devote more personal time with your son. He may not want to be around you. He may want to see friends or hang out with a girlfriend. If this is the case, you have to make the effort even more. But YOU have to do it no matter what. Your kid's life hangs in the balance.
Spend as much time with him as possible. Let him know all about you. Your troubles, your failures, your struggles, and your joys.

Sending him away has greater potential for failure rather than success.

I am by no means pointing fingers. Every situation is completely different.
But from personal experience, I can attest that 95% of the boys that went through the Boy's Home could have been better kids if the parents just gave the kid the attention they craved. Don't spoil him, just communicate. You might find yourself understanding him a little better.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,990 times
Hi there. I'd just like to say that all these post about how terrible "Calvary Boys Ranch" is, they're all false!!!
#1- the correct name is Calvary Christian Boarding Academy. It hasn't been called Calvary Boys Ranch in a long time because the name was changed.
#2- they're have never been "beatings" or "things of horror" done to any members or student of Calvary Boarding Academy or Calvary Baptist Ministries.
Tears came to my eyes as I read all these lies!! Bro. Jerry was one of the kindest, sweetest and REALEST men I have ever met. And Bro. JR is the same way. Bro. Jerry Sr had a heart for teens and wanted to help them the best he could. Some (as you can tell my their outrageous post) didn't want help and wanted to remain lazy idiots their whole life Mission accomplished fellas!!
This ministry has changed my life! I know first hand that all the staff here sweet, devoted people! God has called them to do a work and they are serving the Lord to the best of their abilities! The ministry has changed over the years. A major have lift was done on the church and other areas of the ministry. But thank God they still believe the KJV Bible and have not wavered on their convictions.
No one has ever been beat! The boys go outside all the time. It's not a prison but it is a boarding academy. Even though they don't all like it, there is rules and they must obey the rules. Society today is teaching young people to break rules and not to let anyone hold you back. Thankfully, there are places like Calvary who are teaching young men to be MEN and obey rules and learn how to be an adult. Something that is lacking in our day today!!
About boys being violated, it was unknown to staff of what was happening. But when it was found out about, it was stopped!!
Calvary Baptist Ministries has helped thousands of boys and touched thousands of lives. There's bound to be a few that don't like discipline and want to make up lies about them. When you're the scum of the earth you try to bring down others to your level.
Anyone thinking of sending someone to Calvary, please don't pay attention to the previous lies posted by bums who sit on their computers all day. Take it from someone who knows this place very well that you won't regret sending someone to this place. They do everything in their power to help in any way they can.
I hope this helps someone.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Brother Jerry loved you anyway.

Brother Jerry Sr. was a great man. IF it had not been for him, I would never have become a Christian and my life would be utter turmoil. My children know Jesus because of Bro. Jerry. He was very caring and did NOT waiver from the WORD of GOD.
I was saddened to hear of his passing, but I know where he is and I'll see him again.

CLARIFICATION- In my previous statements, I am by NO MEANS abasing the Boarding Academy. It is a wonderful school and I have NO ill repute toward it. On occasion, things happened amongst boys and sometimes amongst staff that were improper. I wasn't an angel myself. Many times Bro. Jerry was either unaware, uninformed, or lied to about these incidents. After all, he is just one man and can't be every where at one time. Monitoring all the children and staff is a daunting task and it is relentless. Had he known of any wrong doing, it would be taken care of immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma