Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 01:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I hope I didn't offend you, its just my first impressions. You have to consider that I also don't know anyone here, so exploring the city has been slow. No, the summers are not as brutal in Atlanta, nor are the winters, and the weather is much more predictable.

Thats funny that you say I should meet someone at church. How does that work exactly? I went to a mega church in Atlanta with tons of singles and still couldn't meet anyone. I'm an introvert, but still. I don't see it happening at church. Other ideas?

Every city's zoo is supposed to be one of the best. I've heard the same about Atlanta's zoo. Even the Atlanta Aquarium isn't all that great, and it was hyped. San Diego Zoo is the best, but I guess checking out OKC's would be a good way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I don't like basketball, but hard not to want to see the Thunder play given all the excitement over them.

I felt the same way about West Palm Beach, FL when I left there for Atlanta in 1996. Over the years I grew to dislike Atlanta (aside from the sports and weather), which had more to do with my career situation than anything I guess. If I had this job in Atlanta, I'd be having a blast. All anyone says is that this city "grows on you". OK, I sure hope so because I'm kind of bored and the weather sucks. I think if I could meet a woman to settle down with, my view might change. Dating here is very tough though. Being here alone and not knowing anyone is just no fun. For whatever reason, when I moved to Atlanta and didn't know anyone in '96, I recall it being much easier to meet people. Maybe it was because I was young and now I'm old because people here are much friendlier than in Atlanta, thats for sure.
Have you tried a singles club? I don't know if the Solo Club still operates, but, I went to a couple of their dances when I lived in OKCity. From my perspective, there were many nice women there, but, not so much about the men. The reason I never went back is a fellow who may have been more than I thought, but, I couldn't get rid of him. There was an older couple who had open house for singles in OKC every Thursday evening. (They attended Church of the Servant, which later built a mego-church way out on MacArthur.) I'm sure they are gone now, but, many people met there and dated. Some married later. A big crowd gathered with some sitting on the floor. The lady told me they'd done this for 15 years and no one had ever stolen anything.

Do you play bridge? Bridge players are everywhere. Be sure to read the Gazette. Things to do are listed and are good places to meet people. Kirkpatrick Center has an art gallery and there are exhibits. The receptions are free, as are many gallery receptions and well attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I was born here and moved away when I was eight, having moved west. Eleven years later I spent a little time here and realized it wasn't for me, so I moved back where I came from. A few years after that I moved to East Asia, living in a city of 25 million people. My contract expired and I came back stateside, still out west for a few more years, though after that experience I wanted to live in a denser, more compact city. I lost my job during the thick of the recession and eventually blew through almost all my savings. Oklahoma was my only safety net and I wasn't able to find work in time, so I was forced to come here.

No, I don't like it here. I don't identify with the culture or politics...
I definitely feel where you are coming from, particularly with regards to politics and religion. But in the years I've spent in the state, I've managed to avoid many run-ins or head-buttings with people whose views are 180 degrees away from mine. Usually I try to find common ground...there's usually something you can relate to another person about.

But I do understand what you are saying. It may be different for me because I'm older (though I don't know your age) or because I have a family of my own (though I do not know if you do as well) or perhaps just "different strokes."

Oklahoma may not be the first place I would choose if I could live anywhere in the world, but I've spent enough time away doing other things, experiencing other places, etc. that I kind of like the pace here now. It's an easy place to live, really.

Just to mention, I have lived in every corner of the USA from St. Paul, Minnesota to Austin, Texas to upstate New York to Portland, Oregon. I've lived in over a dozen states. Ive also traveled pretty far into Mexico, Canada and several Central-Eastern European countries. I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to move around like that and see large swaths of the world.

Obviously different places have different cultures and amenities, but in my experience a large part of being able to enjoy or feel at home in a place is what you make of it.

This in no way is meant as a criticism of you or your post or your opinions...

Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I definitely feel where you are coming from, particularly with regards to politics and religion. But in the years I've spent in the state, I've managed to avoid many run-ins or head-buttings with people whose views are 180 degrees away from mine. Usually I try to find common ground...there's usually something you can relate to another person about.

But I do understand what you are saying. It may be different for me because I'm older (though I don't know your age) or because I have a family of my own (though I do not know if you do as well) or perhaps just "different strokes."

Oklahoma may not be the first place I would choose if I could live anywhere in the world, but I've spent enough time away doing other things, experiencing other places, etc. that I kind of like the pace here now. It's an easy place to live, really.

Just to mention, I have lived in every corner of the USA from St. Paul, Minnesota to Austin, Texas to upstate New York to Portland, Oregon. I've lived in over a dozen states. Ive also traveled pretty far into Mexico, Canada and several Central-Eastern European countries. I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to move around like that and see large swaths of the world.

Obviously different places have different cultures and amenities, but in my experience a large part of being able to enjoy or feel at home in a place is what you make of it.

This in no way is meant as a criticism of you or your post or your opinions...
My issue with politics/religion is when those views are forced onto me when I don't share their outlook. Of course, I understand that there are laws in every state with which I don't agree, but some are more in line than others. I'm in my early 30s and single, and do not wish to have children, so family anything isn't at all a concerning factor for me. Personally I find Oklahoma to be a very hard place to live, as I need extreme stimulation. Without that I get antsy, nervous and start to deteriorate. I've lived in a few states, plus Europe and Asia, and I've been on every continent except Antarctica, so I'm pretty well-traveled too. There are actually very few places I've been that I've disliked.

The way I feel about a home is that it should be symbiotic: I provide for the city, and the city provides for me. However, I feel like the present area is more parasitic to me, as I'm providing discretionary spending and tax revenue, but I'm not really getting anything in return. I didn't take your opinion as a criticism of my thoughts, but I am elaborating on my philosophy and perspective.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
My issue with politics/religion is when those views are forced onto me when I don't share their outlook. Of course, I understand that there are laws in every state with which I don't agree, but some are more in line than others. I'm in my early 30s and single, and do not wish to have children, so family anything isn't at all a concerning factor for me. Personally I find Oklahoma to be a very hard place to live, as I need extreme stimulation. Without that I get antsy, nervous and start to deteriorate. I've lived in a few states, plus Europe and Asia, and I've been on every continent except Antarctica, so I'm pretty well-traveled too. There are actually very few places I've been that I've disliked.

The way I feel about a home is that it should be symbiotic: I provide for the city, and the city provides for me. However, I feel like the present area is more parasitic to me, as I'm providing discretionary spending and tax revenue, but I'm not really getting anything in return. I didn't take your opinion as a criticism of my thoughts, but I am elaborating on my philosophy and perspective.
The problem you have is that at least in the United States few places will suit your demands very well with the exception of a few major metro areas and a handful of university towns.

If I were you I'd pack my stuff and drive to either Austin or Boulder and try it there.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The problem you have is that at least in the United States few places will suit your demands very well with the exception of a few major metro areas and a handful of university towns.

If I were you I'd pack my stuff and drive to either Austin or Boulder and try it there.
Why would I go to those two cities? Neither one is particularly striking or inviting, and both are car-dependent, which is a quality I don't want in a city. Now that I'm in a better position to move I'm trying for the East Coast. The kind of jobs I want are most concentrated in a handful of cities up there, so it works out for me.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Why would I go to those two cities? Neither one is particularly striking or inviting, and both are car-dependent, which is a quality I don't want in a city. Now that I'm in a better position to move I'm trying for the East Coast. The kind of jobs I want are most concentrated in a handful of cities up there, so it works out for me.
Why would you go to those two cities? Because they are the closest to here and probably the only two that are anywhere close to what you are looking for. Not saying you have to stay there but you might find like minded people to get you through the short term.

From what you have stated I can't think of any place besides Seattle, San Francisco, New York that would work. Boston and Philly have some of what you want but I don't think they are a perfect fit.

But if you stay in Oklahoma there are some like minded people in OKC and Tulsa if you seek them out. The groups tend to be small as you would expect but they are there and you might enjoy them while you try to get out of here.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Quote:

dvxhd,

I cannot recommend Portland, Oregon highly enough based on what you were saying about a symbiotic relationship as well as the fact it is probably the most bike- and pedestrian-friendly city in the US. It also has a wonderful public transport system.

I just lived the better part of four years in Portland and thought it was a great place. The best place I've ever lived, really.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
dvxhd,

I cannot recommend Portland, Oregon highly enough based on what you were saying about a symbiotic relationship as well as the fact it is probably the most bike- and pedestrian-friendly city in the US. It also has a wonderful public transport system.

I just lived the better part of four years in Portland and thought it was a great place. The best place I've ever lived, really.
Actually... I really don't know why, but I didn't like Portland. I've been twice, and though its cityscape and culture are in line with what I want out of a city, I just didn't like it there for some reason. I think its relatively slow pace is part of it, but I'm not entirely sure. In any case, I'm mostly focused on the Northeast because I know the cities offer what I want, and the industries in which I can best market myself are heavily concentrated there. New York especially just feels more like home, i.e. when I'm there I feel like I belong there. It feels natural and welcoming being there, whereas I feel awkward, out of place and unwelcome in Oklahoma.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Actually... I really don't know why, but I didn't like Portland. I've been twice, and though its cityscape and culture are in line with what I want out of a city, I just didn't like it there for some reason. I think its relatively slow pace is part of it, but I'm not entirely sure. In any case, I'm mostly focused on the Northeast because I know the cities offer what I want, and the industries in which I can best market myself are heavily concentrated there. New York especially just feels more like home, i.e. when I'm there I feel like I belong there. It feels natural and welcoming being there, whereas I feel awkward, out of place and unwelcome in Oklahoma.
Well, I understand. Portland does have its own quirky kind of pace, but lots of great entertainment as well.

Personally, I Love NYC. Spent a lot of time there, and in Boston. I lived in upstate NY for about three years (most of 2006-2009) about 60-90 minutes North of The City and for some reason, while I enjoyed all our many trips to NYC and to Boston (which was also fairly nearby) I didn't click with the Northeast as much as I'd hoped or expected to.

The weather was pretty oppressive...so hot and humid in Summer, then Winters so harsh with tons of snow and ice...plus for a third of the year it seemed to get dark at 4:00-4:30 in the afternoon. The scenery and landscape of upstate NY and what we saw of New England was certainly beautiful and I really enjoyed the history of that region...seeing Revolutionary War-era cemeteries and old villages, not to mention the amazing museums and so on.

But outside the large metros, I found most of the area kind of bleak and depressing.

I much prefer the West Coast...I'm not so much an LA guy (though if I were single I could see living there) but I do really love SF and Portland and Seattle.

Seattle, incidentally, is considerably more bustling than Portland. But you are probably aware of that.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Welcome home, Griffis.

I've lived in OK 22 years and love it.

Ignore fools like webster. S/He has proven who has the low IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma