Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:50 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Proper spelling and math never go out of style. I don't consider myself an Okie and will consider other states ways superior as long as the misspelling on the Capitol stands. It's not cute, historic, or religious. Actually misspelling sabbath even has satanic connotations if you believe the Puritans.
I Googled that. That shouldn't be at any state capitol and if it has to be there they could at least get the spelling right.

That said, I enjoy visiting family in Oklahoma City. Its clean, modern and attractive. My family there is actually do betting economically than most of use out here now. That was of course not the case during the tail end of the Great Depression when my parents came to California, but the land of milk and honey in the Central Valley is definitely no longer the case. Chronically high unemployment, poor schools, too much immigration by unskilled people and a third-world style agricultural based economy has pretty much ended that. I'm a bit embarrassed when my Okie relatives come out here to visit. Too bad my family didn't settle in the Bay Area instead of the San Joaquin Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Never lived in any state that didn't have a silly government that some faction either loved or hated. OK is okay! I lived there nearly 30 years and would go back in a second if I could. America is not Europe. We don't have a patchwork of unique countries. We have a patchwork of people, some amazing visual effects, and a couple of unique states. The Native State is one. It is amazing what one can learn in this state that is not in a classroom.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
The worst part about living in Oklahoma is the tornadoes. Every year, April 15-June 15 is a very intense time as has proven to be true this year (and as of May 19, its not over yet). Many of the other negatives about OKC I could probably learn to live with but this one is a deal-breaker. A lot of people point out that earthquakes and hurricanes do far more damage and that is true, but they are also rare. Tornadoes hit OKC every year, sometimes multiple times.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Oh, well, not every town in Oklahoma gets tornadoes every year. While there has been some close calls, Stillwater hasn't been hit by a tornado since 1990.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 AM

17,800 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Tornadoes are obviously an issue in Oklahoma yet they occur over a large swath of north America.

As for people's perception of Oklahoma? Let 'em have it. As long as we keep working to improve and don't buy into what outsiders say then we will continue to improve our quality of life for our own residents and others who choose to come here.

We have a heck of a lot more to offer than people think we do and much of what we don't have is a day drive away (snow skiing, the coast etc).

Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
What the rest of the country is seeing, if they are actually watching, is Oklahoma kicking the rest of the states asses in economic growth. And it is not just energy related. Oklahoma is doing very well. While states like California pat themselves on the back for spending millions of dollars for excessively extravagant and frivolous projects (and are broker every decade for it), Oklahoma has been a rising star and is known as a fiscally conservative state run by actual adults, rather than the frivolous, idealistic children who are elected to govern many other states. Oklahoma's balance sheet is strong and GDP growth leads the nation. We must be doing something right.
BOOM!!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,546,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I have only lived here for the past 3 years and have seen little of this common sense from the State Govt. Mispelled words on monuments that go uncorrected, defunded education departments, cutting taxes while running larger deficits, ect. is what the country sees of Oklahoma. Her people, at least the ones I have met, do not deserve the backward hick government they voted themselves. Maybe I don't get out enough but someone has to be electing and re-electing these dopes and I don't know who they are.

Proper spelling and math never go out of style. I don't consider myself an Okie and will consider other states ways superior as long as the misspelling on the Capitol stands. It's not cute, historic, or religious. Actually misspelling sabbath even has satanic connotations if you believe the Puritans.
What misspelling are you referring to?

And you can always move to one of those superior states .................

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The worst part about living in Oklahoma is the tornadoes. Every year, April 15-June 15 is a very intense time as has proven to be true this year (and as of May 19, its not over yet). Many of the other negatives about OKC I could probably learn to live with but this one is a deal-breaker. A lot of people point out that earthquakes and hurricanes do far more damage and that is true, but they are also rare. Tornadoes hit OKC every year, sometimes multiple times.
Before I moved here I lived about 15/20 miles from the most probably spot the san andreas is going to go when it builds enough pressure to slip. When I live would be in dire straits, and we're talking millions of people minus power and water. We had a 3.0 quake the month before which mimmincked the pattern and virtually everyone wondered before it didn't become the big one if it was. I was upstairs and the place shook like jello, 1960/1970 buildings with termite problems. My neighbor downstairs couldn't get out and figured if it was she was done.

I was glad to move. When I was in OK looking at my house, I went to Kansas and we had a tornado coming into town and our convention was about to be evacuated when it went the other way. I had to be calm sitting at my desk. But I thought about that. Scary but a different kind of scary.

I still moved. I understand how people feel about tornados here, since I felt pretty much the same about quakes. What I want is an in-ground shelter, given that a closet is not always safe. That's a precaution. I'd use it. There is neither warning or a chance to find that sturdy table in a quake. Not that I wish to experience either, but push comes to shove, a really big quake still scares me more. There is something bad or threatening or scary about everywere.

A real deal breaker for me would be guarenteed mounds of snow all around you all winter and roaring winter blizzards providing it.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
A friend in Dallas says the OKC storms form in Tx and get power from the Red River. If it is true the storms generally move SW to NE, the safer place to live would be in the NW or SE. But I wouldn't do it until I researched the history of the town I was considering first.

The storm season started with a bang. The massive flooding in the Midwest was the worst since 1943. Its been followed by the massive storms in OKC area. Not a good outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post

Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
I lived in OK 2006-2010 due to a job transfer, and I loved it. I wouldn't have moved away except for family. Friendly people everywhere. A beautiful all-brick home. And enough variety in weather to please anybody. I didn't care for the ice storms or the tornados, but everywhere you live is going to have some sort of issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma