Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

Well let's see. I've been in dust storms, earthquake, T-storms, straight line winds spawned by tornadoes, extreme heat, floods, and arctic winter temperatures, black ice and whit out. I lived in Tornado Alley in OK, and was in Chicago when all the underpasses were flooded and water was 6" deep in yards. After that they replaced the 100 year old sewer system; it hasn't flooded since.

The point is disaster can strike anyone and at any time and anywhere. The name of the state is not as important as where one lives. There are "hot spots in every state. OKC and Tulsa, OK. Joplin and Springfield, MO., Springfield and Bloomington, IL . These cities all have three things in common: [1] interstate highway, [2] tornado history, and [3] an interconnected route 1-40 to 1-44 to 1-55.

I lived 20 miles SE of I-44 for many years and was not bothered by tornadic activity. Then I moved 20 miles WNW of I-71 and 5 miles north of I-44 and was not bothered. I've been watching OK tornado alley for 13 years. It seems that a few miles NE or SE of OKC or Tulsa are safer areas and less bothered by tornadic activity. I don't know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Water is trucked in to your cattle troughs or well or storage tanks and you drink and cook with bottled water. It isn't rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If the water supply dries up where would go for water, unless willing and able to pay to have drinking water shipped in.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:28 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
No place is perfect. Nevada has experienced many earthquakes all the way up to a 7.8 back in 1915.

Source:

Nevada State Natural Disasters and Weather Extremes
Great website - thank you. I can plug in any state and see the stats. California is #1 for Earthquakes, yippee! No surprise. I think Southern Nevada is less risky than Northern Nevada regarding earthquakes. Arizona has a very low earthquake risk, very interesting.

Yes water is a huge issue in the west, but I don't think anyone is basing relocation based on water. Right now New Mexico is looking the worst in terms of the drought.

Desalination plants are staring to be built along the California coast, so that will help with supply.

I am more afraid of natural disasters right now than running out of water.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I would say yes. Arizona and Nevada are looking better and better. They seem to have the fewest natural disasters. Away from the California earthquakes and fires but not into "Tornado Alley" and no where near hurricanes.
The only problem I see with Arizona and Nevada is eventually there is going to be a water crisis. I do really like Phoenix though and wouldn't mind living there.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I would say yes. Arizona and Nevada are looking better and better. They seem to have the fewest natural disasters. Away from the California earthquakes and fires but not into "Tornado Alley" and no where near hurricanes.
But you get the monsoons and brush fires and sand storms and the heat is awful. A dear friend of mine lives in Arizona and I loved the visit, but don't want to live there. Anywhere you go there will be unpleasent moments....

Old 06-02-2013, 12:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Water is trucked in to your cattle troughs or well or storage tanks and you drink and cook with bottled water. It isn't rocket science.
But if the whole population must have bottled water, that drives up demand and the price.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:51 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Well let's see. I've been in dust storms, earthquake, T-storms, straight line winds spawned by tornadoes, extreme heat, floods, and arctic winter temperatures, black ice and whit out. I lived in Tornado Alley in OK, and was in Chicago when all the underpasses were flooded and water was 6" deep in yards. After that they replaced the 100 year old sewer system; it hasn't flooded since.

The point is disaster can strike anyone and at any time and anywhere. The name of the state is not as important as where one lives. There are "hot spots in every state. OKC and Tulsa, OK. Joplin and Springfield, MO., Springfield and Bloomington, IL . These cities all have three things in common: [1] interstate highway, [2] tornado history, and [3] an interconnected route 1-40 to 1-44 to 1-55.

I lived 20 miles SE of I-44 for many years and was not bothered by tornadic activity. Then I moved 20 miles WNW of I-71 and 5 miles north of I-44 and was not bothered. I've been watching OK tornado alley for 13 years. It seems that a few miles NE or SE of OKC or Tulsa are safer areas and less bothered by tornadic activity. I don't know why.
It's more about how the economy is doing rather than worrying how natural disasters might affect things. It's going to take another dust bowl or for the prices in the oil and gas industry to collapse to make a lot of people move out of or avoid Oklahoma. A few tornadoes every year isn't going to drive out the energy industry as long as there is money to be made. Same with agriculture and other industries in Oklahoma.

Northern Lincoln County, which is just to the NE of Oklahoma City sure hasn't been safe from tornadoes this year. Stillwater has been safe from tornadoes since 1990, if you can live with the close calls and misses nearly every year.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-02-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 12:52 AM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The only problem I see with Arizona and Nevada is eventually there is going to be a water crisis. I do really like Phoenix though and wouldn't mind living there.
I agree. There is especially going to be a water crises along the Colorado River valley between California and Arizona. Hopefully, with the desalinization plants being built along the Pacific coast in SoCal, there will be more divergence of water to those desert areas and less reliance on the Colorado River itself.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default No Because The Type Of People That Move To Oklahoma Could Care Less

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
Will recent tornadoes discourage people from choosing
Oklahoma as a new home? I believe it will cause some to look elsewhere or stay
where they are who may have recently been considering Oklahoma as a possible new
home.

For at least a while, I foresee that new residents will either be brave,
fool-hearty, or oblivious, depending on how you look at it. Frightened mice
will probably continue their search for utopia. Bad things can happen anywhere,
whether they be natural disasters or personal tragedies. I personally would
prefer to live in Oklahoma over living somewhere with a higher crime rate, or
living somewhere where I feel overwhelmed by dense traffic, dense population,
and less friendly people.

What do you think? Will the severe weather slow the inflow of new
residents?

No Because The Type Of People That Move To Oklahoma Could Care Less....as a matter of fact
I'm retiring to Oklahoma to be around relatives , but will put a tornado shelter into the ground
as sure as I'm born.

The type of people moving to Oklahoma are moving to Oklahoma City which is the " Bulls Eye " of
Tornado Alley....go wrap your head around that will ya ?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:33 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Desaltization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I agree. There is especially going to be a water crises along the Colorado River valley between California and Arizona. Hopefully, with the desalinization plants being built along the Pacific coast in SoCal, there will be more divergence of water to those desert areas and less reliance on the Colorado River itself.

Desaltization will spread from California to Arizona and Nevada as a means a water supply for the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma