Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 15,272 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving to North Dallas (Plano), TX from Kansas City, KS and I am new to the region totally. I will be driving my car with my family and staying night at hotel nearby the route. Can someone suggest me the best route from Kansas City to North Dallas and typical toll expenses (and how do I pay it ? buy pass in advance or pay at toll booth) ? I was told it can be expensive, but I am OK to pay like $30 or so till I reach Dallas.
I was thinking about this route.
1. Kansas City -> Wichita -> Oklahoma City ( mostly I-35 S )
2. Oklahoma City -> Plano ( I-35 )
I prefer to drive on interstate due to increased speed limit, access to gas, hotel, restaurant, and very importantly to garage in case of car breakdown.

Google maps shows another route, Kansas City to Plano (via Fort Scott KS, McAlester TX) on US-69 S, which is 90 miles less than Oklahoma route. But I am not sure about availability of gas, hotel etc.

Any suggestions, inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kris

Last edited by bkris982; 08-28-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 01:23 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
How far apart do you think KC and Dallas are? You're going to stop overnight in middle of a seven hour drive? If you leave Kansas City at nine you will be in Plano before dinner.

US-69 is fine, it's a divided four lane highway the whole way with good sized towns along the highway, though a couple of the towns in southern Oklahoma don't have by-passes around them. That route would have a bit of a toll on I-44, but not more than two or three dollars.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
How far apart do you think KC and Dallas are? You're going to stop overnight in middle of a seven hour drive? If you leave Kansas City at nine you will be in Plano before dinner.
Unfortunately my plan is to start in the evening (after work!) from KC.

Quote:
US-69 is fine, it's a divided four lane highway the whole way with good sized towns along the highway, though a couple of the towns in southern Oklahoma don't have by-passes around them. That route would have a bit of a toll on I-44, but not more than two or three dollars.
That's great! I never knew it is 4 lane. Thank you!

Old 08-29-2015, 09:25 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I'd travel 69 as well. Only caveat.....do the speed limit through places like Choteau and Stringtown....

Old 09-03-2015, 03:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Calera south of dura the on 69/75 is also a speed trap.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
What? No brainer, take 35S the whole way. Maybe 7-8 dollars in tolls in KS, and no tolls in OK on 35, and most of Texas. When you get to Plano, there might be some tolls but shouldn't be more than a few dollars. You won't have to stop to pay a toll in TX, they will take a pic of license and bill you. It's easy to pay the toll online. Stay the night in Northern OK or OKC, but if possible, just leave the next day from KC. It's not that long of a drive, like 7-8 hours. U.S. 69 will be slower. 75 mph in KS, 70 in OK, and 75 in Texas on 35.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:13 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
What? No brainer, take 35S the whole way. Maybe 7-8 dollars in tolls in KS, and no tolls in OK on 35, and most of Texas. When you get to Plano, there might be some tolls but shouldn't be more than a few dollars. You won't have to stop to pay a toll in TX, they will take a pic of license and bill you. It's easy to pay the toll online. Stay the night in Northern OK or OKC, but if possible, just leave the next day from KC. It's not that long of a drive, like 7-8 hours. U.S. 69 will be slower. 75 mph in KS, 70 in OK, and 75 in Texas on 35.

That route is over 100 miles further than taking US-69 and you have to go through traffic in both Wichita and Oklahoma City AND it takes you to the wrong side of the Metroplex. Even with the small towns in southern Oklahoma you will save at least an hour going on US-69.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:10 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Try this route from KC to Dallas.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUm-Ns2Ea6w

Old 09-11-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
That route is over 100 miles further than taking US-69 and you have to go through traffic in both Wichita and Oklahoma City AND it takes you to the wrong side of the Metroplex. Even with the small towns in southern Oklahoma you will save at least an hour going on US-69.
Thank you everyone for the awesome inputs ! I took US-69 and it took 5 hours and 30 mins from KC to McAlester, OK. I paid some 4 bucks for toll before (Miami,OK) I-44 . And from there, it took 3 hours to reach Dallas Fortworth as there were lot of construction going on somewhere near StringTown, OK. The only problem was using K-7 from FortScott (45 miles, mostly undivided 2 lanes, speed limit was 45 or less) was slow down. Yeah, I know. My GPS directed me via K-7 and I trusted it. Otherwise, everything was good. I could see decent sized towns at least every 20 minutes throughout the drive. And, thank you @Johnhw2. I was cautious as you mentioned about Speed trap in Calera past Durant. That was helpful ! Hope this helps someone.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Welcome and welcome to plano. It's a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma