Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:40 AM

14 posts, read 123,753 times

Advertisements

What kind of small town is Duncan? A place one could retire from? How's the housing situation? Any good steak houses?

Thx

Okiebound (Maybe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
It's a better looking than average Oklahoma town, thanks to previous oil booms. Decades ago Haliburton was headquartered there. It's not dumpy, but doesn't seem to be much on the grow. Why single out Duncan? From not coming from Duncan, I can't provide more insight.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Why Duncan

We're from the Halliburton family(not literally)and have been transferred 9 times in the last 1 years. Talk is we might be moving again and gave us some choices to pick from. We've lived the big city life and prefer a small town. My mother in law lives about 40 miles from Duncan . So we would be closer to her if she needs something.

Thanks for replying

Old 05-11-2007, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 16,167 times
I lived in Duncan 23 years before better pay lured me away. Good folks in Duncan, friendly, a bit more cosmopolitan than in other communities its size in Oklahoma, thanks to Halliburton's influence. More people with college and advanced degrees, also thanks to Halliburton. The downtown business area has been revitalized through the Main Street program, firefighters are all or nearly all EMTs or paramedics, the chamber is active in promoting quality of life and industrial recruitment. Duncan has an outstanding multipurpose activities center with basketball, racquetball, indoor pool, weight room, theater, meeting rooms. Duncan is also squarely located on the Chisholm Trail, has a world-class bronze statue of a cattle drive, and a unique visitor center and hands-on museum. Winters are mild, with an occasional ice storm as well as snow; summers can get into triple-digit temperatures but are bearable. Trees and grass and rolling hills, city-owned lakes known for state record bass. A good place to raise children. A good place to retire.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:33 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
I`ll be heading in the direction of Duncan (from Ca,) in 3 weeks.
I have studied Duncan for the last 6 months and found that I`s just what I`ve been looking for.
Life is slower,
all though wages are lower,
the cost of living is much lower also,
The population is a fraction of what it is here.(in this community)
There will be a difference in climate, but aslong as the humidity is`nt as bad as it was when I lived near Galvaston, Tx. it won`t be much of a problem.
I have written to the Governor of OK, in support of the new Immigration laws.

There are 2 businesses from Ca, that have just opened or in the process of opening in Duncan and I believe they are both located on Main st.

One is called "Lauras Coffee Shop" and the other is "Browns Lawnmower Repair"
I`ll be working for Browns repairing Garden/utility tractors and some farm equipment.
Has anyone noticed whether these businesses are open yet?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Default Duncan Restaurants

Not much in Duncan for restaurants. I've eaten at every place in town many times and about every place within driving range. There is a good Italian place in Marlow which is not that far away.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM

As long as the steaks are as good as I hear, I`ll be happy.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Steakhouse in Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
As long as the steaks are as good as I hear, I`ll be happy.
If you get there before I do, post the steak place here. We'll meet you there

Old 05-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebound View Post
If you get there before I do, post the steak place here. We'll meet you there

With pleasure

Old 05-28-2007, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 15,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebound View Post
What kind of small town is Duncan? A place one could retire from? How's the housing situation? Any good steak houses?

Thx

Okiebound (Maybe)
Duncan is a nice place. I lived there in 91 and 92, worked for the EMS. I live in Tulsa now. It has a nostalgic feel, the primary radio station played 50's and 60's music. The cost of living was very reasonable. The Duncan Police are always on-the-job, sometimes their tactics are a little questionable but there isn't much crime either. Goodners Steak house made a very good ribeye that didn't put a dent in the wallet, buffet style fixins. The bean salad was excellent. I rented a very clean two-bedroom for what was reasonable at the time. If I recall there are two power companies for electricity. Three lakes that can be reached in 20 minutes. OKC is about an hour away, Lawton is closer. There's the worlds largest garage sale every August. Oh yeah, and the women are very friendly. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma