Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times

Advertisements

At noon, a shot was fired signaling the beginning of the Oklahoma Land Rush. 50,000 settlers scurried to make their claims on about 2 million acres opened by the federal government. By that afternoon, both Oklahoma City and Guthrie had gone from zero population to 10,000 each, with streets laid out, town lots staked off, and the beginnings of local government set up.

Happy birthday, Oklahoma................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:40 PM

498 posts, read 1,606,256 times
Happy Land Run Day, everyone!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:31 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
I remember a movie once, a long time ago [it was black and white, so it must have been a long time ago, right?], where this one family lost their last horse or ox or whatever it was, and the whole family got together and pulled the wagon just far enough to cross the line and staked out their parcel right there instead of racing off after everyone else. It was legal, too, the land judges or whoever they were granted it to them.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:40 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,922 times
I wonder what would happen if i re-enacted it by shooting a gun in the air and running around claiming properties...

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM

I just did......of course, I was on my own property........

Old 04-22-2009, 09:40 PM

297 posts, read 586,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I remember a movie once, a long time ago [it was black and white, so it must have been a long time ago, right?], where this one family lost their last horse or ox or whatever it was, and the whole family got together and pulled the wagon just far enough to cross the line and staked out their parcel right there instead of racing off after everyone else. It was legal, too, the land judges or whoever they were granted it to them.
Was it Cimarron?

I just happened to catch the last 30 or so minutes of that movie the other day, and without checking I knew it was about Oklahoma, because I saw the scene where they just barely make it over the line and claim that plot of land. What I saw of it was really, really good. I love older movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I just did......of course, I was on my own property........
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
I wonder what would happen if i re-enacted it by shooting a gun in the air and running around claiming properties...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:32 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post
Was it Cimarron?

I just happened to catch the last 30 or so minutes of that movie the other day, and without checking I knew it was about Oklahoma, because I saw the scene where they just barely make it over the line and claim that plot of land. What I saw of it was really, really good. I love older movies.
Might have been, I don't know. It was well over 50 years ago, aftar all!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:41 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
At noon, a shot was fired signaling the beginning of the Oklahoma Land Rush. 50,000 settlers scurried to make their claims on about 2 million acres opened by the federal government. By that afternoon, both Oklahoma City and Guthrie had gone from zero population to 10,000 each, with streets laid out, town lots staked off, and the beginnings of local government set up.

Happy birthday, Oklahoma................
Okay, GP, maybe you can answer a question for me that's bugged me for years. Ever since I heard about the land rush, back in high school, I think, I always wondered how they claimed the land. In other words, did they just stake out parcels themselves, or were they already parceled out before the land rush started? I mean, here you are racing into open land, and how do you say, okay, this is mine???? I could never visualize it.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 AM

491 posts, read 1,475,871 times
Anybody going to an 89er day celebration? The one in Lexington is good. They used to have a horse race across the river but I don't know if they still do that or not.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
Okay, GP, maybe you can answer a question for me that's bugged me for years. Ever since I heard about the land rush, back in high school, I think, I always wondered how they claimed the land. In other words, did they just stake out parcels themselves, or were they already parceled out before the land rush started? I mean, here you are racing into open land, and how do you say, okay, this is mine???? I could never visualize it.
the land was surveyed into quarter sections and marked with a marker. If you claimed the land, you marked it with a stake. Many disputes went to court, some resulted in gunfights and brawls.

LAND RUN of 1889

Quote:
Families that remained behind at the line cheered as a husband or father made his wild dash to choose his 160 acres. He would then determine its range and township from the surveyors' cornerstone markers and plant a stake bearing notice of his name and location. Some would immediately begin making token improvements such as digging a well or arranging logs for a potential home. Others would hurry to the land office to register their claim.
Quote:
April 22, 1889, was a day of chaos, excitement, and utter confusion. Men and women rushed to claim homesteads or to purchase lots in one of the many new towns that sprang into existence overnight. An estimated eleven thousand agricultural homesteads were claimed. There would be many hardships ahead, and many would be forced to contest others who claimed the same farm or lot. A few sooner contests made it to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma