Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,593 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate my family to Lawton Ok. We have two boys.. 17 and 11. What are you thoughts? What is it to do there? We are from S. FL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Rough army town, but I wouldn't think that Lawton would be any worse than anywhere else in this part of the world in accordance to your query. Lawton is 21.5% black which is more than Tulsa or OKC. So obviously black people are a significant presence there and on base. I have heard some black people complain about Lawton but I still think it would be better than some of the other places in this section of the country.

With kids that age you might check into the schools. From what I understand, right now, Lawton High is doing better than the other two Lawton schools.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:01 AM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
Lawton is an Army town, but like I have always said, it is what you make of it.

Things to do:
Water Park, Lakes for Fishing, Mountains close by for Hiking and seeing things like Eagles and Elk, Typical shopping centers and stores that most big cities have, several places to catch a new Movie, Book worms love the Library, Go-Cart Track near Good Year Tire plant, Lawton Speedway for some fun Saturday night race car watching.

Schools -
Lawton Sr. High is located in the center part of town - It is a 6A school (highest level for Schools) in all activities
MacArthur Sr. High is located on the East side of town - It is a 5A school
Eisenhower Sr. High is located on the West side of Town - It is also a 5A school

4 Middle (Jr. High) schools and 17 Elementary Schools.

Youth sports is big in Lawton. Everything from soccer, football, baseball, swimming - if your sons are athletic they should have no problems fitting in.

if you look outside of Lawton, close by there area several smaller cities that are growing in size due to people moving away from Lawton. Problem with these smaller cities is there is really nothing to do in them, so most kids/families go to Lawton to do their shopping and what not.
Geronimo to the south, its school system is a 3A.
Cache to the West, its school system is 4A
Elgin to the North East, its school system is 4A and probably will be 5A in a year or two since they are already playing some sports in 5A now. Elgin is the fastest growing city in the area since it is located just off the highway and so much quieter than Lawton. Not much here though, McDonald's located with a gas station, Sonic, Subway and quite a few mom and pop restaurants, a gym and grocery store.

In my personal opinion, the Big Plus about Lawton is that is located a few short hours from several cities that you can explore and have fun in -
Oklahoma City - 75 miles to the North East (about 1 hour drive) - Bricktown, Museums, Zoo, Concerts, Water Parks, Small Amusement Park, Sports Teams and more
Dallas/Fort Worth - 185 miles to the South East (about 3 hour drive) - Museums, Zoo, Concerts, Water Park, Six Flags Amusement Park, NASCAR, All Major Sports teams and lots more.

Hope that helps?

Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 AM

226 posts, read 483,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
Lawton is an Army town, but like I have always said, it is what you make of it.

Things to do:
Water Park, Lakes for Fishing, Mountains close by for Hiking and seeing things like Eagles and Elk, Typical shopping centers and stores that most big cities have, several places to catch a new Movie, Book worms love the Library, Go-Cart Track near Good Year Tire plant, Lawton Speedway for some fun Saturday night race car watching.

Schools -
Lawton Sr. High is located in the center part of town - It is a 6A school (highest level for Schools) in all activities
MacArthur Sr. High is located on the East side of town - It is a 5A school
Eisenhower Sr. High is located on the West side of Town - It is also a 5A school

4 Middle (Jr. High) schools and 17 Elementary Schools.

Youth sports is big in Lawton. Everything from soccer, football, baseball, swimming - if your sons are athletic they should have no problems fitting in.

if you look outside of Lawton, close by there area several smaller cities that are growing in size due to people moving away from Lawton. Problem with these smaller cities is there is really nothing to do in them, so most kids/families go to Lawton to do their shopping and what not.
Geronimo to the south, its school system is a 3A.
Cache to the West, its school system is 4A
Elgin to the North East, its school system is 4A and probably will be 5A in a year or two since they are already playing some sports in 5A now. Elgin is the fastest growing city in the area since it is located just off the highway and so much quieter than Lawton. Not much here though, McDonald's located with a gas station, Sonic, Subway and quite a few mom and pop restaurants, a gym and grocery store.

In my personal opinion, the Big Plus about Lawton is that is located a few short hours from several cities that you can explore and have fun in -
Oklahoma City - 75 miles to the North East (about 1 hour drive) - Bricktown, Museums, Zoo, Concerts, Water Parks, Small Amusement Park, Sports Teams and more
Dallas/Fort Worth - 185 miles to the South East (about 3 hour drive) - Museums, Zoo, Concerts, Water Park, Six Flags Amusement Park, NASCAR, All Major Sports teams and lots more.

Hope that helps?
What about employment opportunities? What's the building industry like there plus hospitals care. I'm also from south Florida and my friend have been thinking about moving to Oklahoma.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Lawton is the best you can do in Oklahoma, when you can't or don't want to move to the Oklahoma City or Tulsa areas. The small rocky mountain scenery there is a treat from the dullness of the plains.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
What about employment opportunities? What's the building industry like there plus hospitals care. I'm also from south Florida and my friend have been thinking about moving to Oklahoma.
Wages in Lawton lag OKC and Tulsa, but the cost of living is lower as well. Building industry, as in construction? Not a lot of that out here, the economy is tied to Fort Sill and the Army, so there isn't a lot of growth. Goodyear and Cameron University also provide employment opportunities. Comanche County Memorial Hospital is first-rate.

What I like about living down here in SW OK is the weather, the diversity of the terrain, and the proximity to DFW and OKC. It is what you make of it.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:22 AM

81 posts, read 293,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
There are two main hospitals in Lawton:
Comanche County (Center part of city)
Southwestern (South West park of City
Some people like one over the other while others only go to one based on where their Dr. works out of.

There are two other hospitals - Ft. Sill and an Indian Hospital.
Ft. Sill has become more of a huge Dr. Clinc for those that are in the Military and their families.
The Indian Hospital treats those that are allowed to go there based on heritage (I think)

There is a Cancer research center on the Comanche County Hospital campus and it just recently finished an expansion of their ER rooms and other items. It seems to be the go to place when you need an ER.

Employment - Really depends on what your Skill set is, there are jobs here for just about anyone, if you want to work.
Fast food jobs for teenagers are everywhere.
Sold jobs for adults are there if you are willing to do the work and find one that you want.
With Ft. Sill there are all sorts of contractor jobs open, but you must also qualify for them and have a clean record to be able to work on the Military post.
2 Walmart's and a Sam's Club are the big shopping items there is a Mall, but over the years it has begun its decline on the style of shops that are in it.

Building industry - Home building is the main thing around here. Several of the smaller cities around Lawton are growing like weeds. New homes / housing areas are popping up left and right. And with a 2000 sq ft. house selling for around $189-$220K people are willing to move to those smaller towns and enjoy the quite nights.

Manufacturing - Goodyear Tire plant is the main one here, largest in the world.
Bar-S Food - Makes Hot dogs and other meat items - nice size plant here and about 60 miles east in Altus and North in Clinton there are two more of these plants.

There has always been talk of something new coming to Lawton but it has yet to happen. Not sure if it is because Goodyear has a hold on those style jobs or what.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,559 times
Lawton High is arguably the worst school in Lawton. It's rife with violence and a student was on the roof threatening to blow the school up last year.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:32 PM

I replied to the wrong comment

Old 02-15-2018, 09:37 PM

But just to add on to what you said, there's a sheet rock paper plant and the GEO prison, and I'm pretty sure the wildlife refuge has some jobs. Medicine park isn't too far away, and it's got a few fast food, cashier, and waiter jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma