Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,303 times

Advertisements

Hi My name is Debbie,I have a husband and two kids, and a dog. We are living in Hungary right now and we are planning on moving to Oklahoma in middle of June. We are looking for a house to rent for about 1,200 dollars per month. I am a registered nurse and my husband is a cook, but willing to do just about anything. We are interested to find out about employment opportunities, salary pay, utility costs, and cost of living in that area. We are also interested to find anything out about the schools and preschools around there. Aslo what the weather is like.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,620,799 times
Hi Debbie, welcome to the forum!

Here is a link that shows some examples of advertisements for house rentals. $1200 per month should get a fairly nice place. Just click on all days to see more ads.

Houses For Rent-Edmond(2 listed)

The cost of living is lower in Oklahoma, but so are the salaries.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Hi Debbie, and welcome. I'm a fairly new Okie, but I think I can answer some of your questions. The employment in Oklahoma, particularly near Oklahoma City is very good. If you are a nurse, you should have no problem finding a job. I'm sure there is plenty of work for your husband as a cook as well. As Peggy said, the salaries are lower than other parts of the country, but the cost of living is much lower. I moved here from New Jersey, and the pirce of my house was way lower than a comparable house in NJ, my property taxes are much lower, as is my car insurance and utilities. The only thing that is more expensive is my homeowners insurance, due to some severe weather that Oklahoma experiences. The price of gas and food is about the same as New Jersey.

If you want to check out the schools in various areas around the state, you can go to Public School Review or Great Schools. Some of the towns around Oklahoma City that I am familiar with and seem to be nice are: Edmond, Mustang, Yukon, Moore and Norman. There are others, but I'm not familiar with them. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:49 PM

3 posts, read 8,303 times
Thanks you all so much for answering us. It has been extremely helpful all the info.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:32 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
Hi Debbie welcome to the forum! u will have tons of fun here oh and alot of info haha

WELCOME!!

Old 04-02-2008, 04:39 PM

266 posts, read 972,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zharsanyi72 View Post
Hi My name is Debbie,I have a husband and two kids, and a dog. We are living in Hungary right now and we are planning on moving to Oklahoma in middle of June. We are looking for a house to rent for about 1,200 dollars per month. I am a registered nurse and my husband is a cook, but willing to do just about anything. We are interested to find out about employment opportunities, salary pay, utility costs, and cost of living in that area. We are also interested to find anything out about the schools and preschools around there. Aslo what the weather is like.
Well, cost of living is rather low (compared to the big time media hub cities like Seattle, L.A., Miami, Chicago, Houston, you know.) But as stated earlier, salary is lower. Oklahoma is known for poor education and I believe we are 47th in the nation when it comes to cost for schools, meaning we are 47th in paying for overall education which is not good. And well, the weather... This is Oklahoma!! You get everything and anything! It can be sunny and 100 degrees one minute and 30 minutes later you can have a thunderstorm going on. But i'll sum it up, I guess it really depends on your area but for the most part we have cold/mild winters (wet and dry) and we get snow and ice, all that good stuff. Summer, it can get up to triple digits easily. But the Oklahoma Autumn and Spring is what you want to live for. You can't beat Oklahoma in the Fall or Spring. Absolutely beautiful and the weather is mild, warm and cool, not blistering hot or freezing cold. And the colors of nature are breathtaking.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM

432 posts, read 669,305 times
Hello Debbie, and welcome to the forum! I hope that you've enjoyed your visit(s) so far. You can get to know people from Oklahoma by coming back, and you can enjoy their friendliness like I have.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
OKC the armpit of Oklahoma? Yeah, whatever...typical elitist Tulsa attitude there. F.Y.I. parts of West Tulsa such as Oakhurst sure are dumpy.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:46 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
OKC the armpit of Oklahoma? Yeah, whatever...typical elitist Tulsa attitude there. F.Y.I. parts of West Tulsa such as Oakhurst sure are dumpy.
OKC has their fair share of Elitists; I know this for a fact. There's enough love to spread around there. And fact of the matter is, we pretty much let Sapulpa have Oakhurst, if I'm not mistaken.

Both cities have their pros and cons. OKC is relatively flat and plain looking (IMO). Tulsa is much more green and hilly.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:24 PM

708 posts, read 688,293 times
I sure like Norman...very pretty there and my grandparents seem to love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma