Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

One of my Catholic friends told me her sister went to college in OU in Norman. All of her family, including her sister, grew up Catholic, but her sister converted to become an Evangelical Presbyterian. My friend said that Catholicism and Protestantism are theologically compatible and that the reason her sister converted was because "there weren't any Catholic churches around where [her sister] was."

I know Oklahoma (even Oklahoma city) is solidly Republican and Southern Baptist. Do you know any Catholics (in Oklahoma or an otherwise solidly Protestant area) who converted to become evangelicals because there weren't any Catholic churches in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
No, I don't. It is surely a sparsely populated area in Oklahoma where is no Catholic church. So someone must have been given false info and accepted it as true.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-12-2018 at 10:37 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 09:52 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Hi all,

One of my Catholic friends told me her sister went to college in OU in Norman. All of her family, including her sister, grew up Catholic, but her sister converted to become an Evangelical Presbyterian. My friend said that Catholicism and Protestantism are theologically compatible and that the reason her sister converted was because "there weren't any Catholic churches around where [her sister] was."

I know Oklahoma (even Oklahoma city) is solidly Republican and Southern Baptist. Do you know any Catholics (in Oklahoma or an otherwise solidly Protestant area) who converted to become evangelicals because there weren't any Catholic churches in the area?
Norman itself has five Catholic churches. I'm not sure how that could be possible.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Just Google diocese or Catholic Church by zip code or city.

If there is no significant difference - read up on Luther's theses or the 30-Year-War.

Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I have a priest friend in New Jersey who grew up Catholic in Oklahoma. She became an Episcopalian because the Catholic Church doesn't ordain women, and she felt called to the priesthood. I believe that she said most of her family still lives in Oklahoma and that they remained Catholic.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:54 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Norman itself has five Catholic churches. I'm not sure how that could be possible.
St Thomas Moore is a Catholic church that is right on campus at OU.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Just Google diocese or Catholic Church by zip code or city.

If there is no significant difference - read up on Luther's theses or the 30-Year-War.
My friend is rather ill informed on religion, I must admit.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Hi all,

https://archokc.org/parishfinder

Quote:

To say the least.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM

664 posts, read 2,094,667 times
Quote:
Sounds like your friend's sister used that as an excuse. Easier to say I had to versus I wanted to. But that's just my guess.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:50 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Hi all,

McGuinness High in OKC is Catholic. Lots of Catholic folks associated with it.

Having said that, OKC/Norman and Oklahoma in general is overtly Southern Baptist to the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma