Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 03:09 PM

23 posts, read 76,230 times

Advertisements

Our house was pretty run down, paint peeling, they replaced the carpet once we got in here, nail holes in the wall, just basically not what Im used to by Army standards...My husband has been in for 15 years also and this is by far the worst housing that we have lived in... we are being put up in lodging for a week, next week while they take care of a mold problem. ~ not a great first impression. Like I said though, Picerne is taking over housing in November and will hopefully make great improvements.
If we thought that we would be here for any amount of time I would consider moving off of base, but my husband is only here for a brief period to heal after a back fusion, so he already is hoping to go back to a "normal" infantry unit. We are in the E7-E9 housing, and my husband was blown away that they would put E9 in this so... I am more than willing to take pics or if you find out which housing you qualify for I will take pics for you.... my email is lham3214@hotmail.com I believe your housing is nice judging from the outside.. good luck making your decision! WE just got back from driving to the top of Mount Scott, what a view, it was goregous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:04 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Question What Happened?

I keep reading about all the problems you good folks are having with the housing status at Ft Sill, and frankly I'm quite dumbfounded. I was stationed there back in 1979 til 1982, and the housing units were run by a tough, strick department. I mean, they would do a walk through inspection with you when you first got it, so if there were any missed problems they would taked care of it immediately. And then when you were ready to turn it back over to them they did another walk through inspection. And everything had better be perfect when you were turning it back over to then too, or you would pay for it dearly. Has this new generation gotten that lazy? Or, has the Army just gotten too soft? God, I remember when the First Sgt would just walk right into you barracks room on a weekend and do an inspection, and it had better be perfect. Its no wonder this country is going to Hell in a had basket on a rocket propelled rail, even the military has gone soft and lazy.

Military retired, 21 yrs. and proud of it.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 PM

I have lived in military housing at Drum, Bragg, and Riley and this is not like any other. I am used to the standard that you refer to with the walk throughs and having a perfect house when you left it, or you had to pay for it. I was told that due to the privatization that is occuring in November "our" house had fallen through the cracks...

Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lham3214 View Post
I have lived in military housing at Drum, Bragg, and Riley and this is not like any other. I am used to the standard that you refer to with the walk throughs and having a perfect house when you left it, or you had to pay for it. I was told that due to the privatization that is occuring in November "our" house had fallen through the cracks...
Now theres a word that turns my stomach, "Privatization". Thats another word for "Haliburton" I think I spelled that right or one of its many sister companies.
Big mistake, Real Big Mistake. Almost makes me want to leave this country all together. I once heard a retired General say that in another 25 to 30 yrs our military will no longer exist, it will be a private military by a very large company. If this is true, I hope I'm dead by then.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Now theres a word that turns my stomach, "Privatization". Thats another word for "Haliburton" I think I spelled that right or one of its many sister companies.
Big mistake, Real Big Mistake. Almost makes me want to leave this country all together. I once heard a retired General say that in another 25 to 30 yrs our military will no longer exist, it will be a private military by a very large company. If this is true, I hope I'm dead by then.
Hey be nice now. http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/twak.gif (broken link) My Daddy retired from Halliburton and they are currently employing my g-baby's Daddy! But I hear what you are saying... really I do. The big "H" divorced itself from the "sister company" you are talking about awhile back. (KBR is the name, and don't get me started on them! ) but KBR isn't the one that takes care of the housing on base at Ft. Sill... That has changed hands a few times in the last couple of years.

Hubby was working for one of those companies a few years ago and it is a GOOD thing that they lost their *contract*. Problem with contracting outside of the Military by taking the lowest bidder is that you also wind up with the lowest *quality* . The new housing on base is very nice, but the older stuff is in need of much repair. I THOUGHT they had abandoned most of the older housing altogether, to build new... but it sounds like they haven't. Hopefully the new Company taking over will do RIGHT by these families that need decent housing!

The Family housing that you remember from the 70's is still there and they haven't done much (if anything) to upgrade them...

Old 07-20-2008, 03:42 PM

I think that 1970s housing is what IM living in!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM

102 posts, read 287,683 times
Thanks Iham3214 for your offer to take pics. If I remember it right, the housing for us (if we ever really get one) would be in academy heights? This would be the first time we get to live on post. We toured the area every time we went there (4 trips in all.) I'm curious what the inside looks like. It looked safe and peaceful to me (that being on post.) We are still stewing on what to do. Not giving up hope yet. Lots of lookers but no offer yet. Getting old.

We did make it to the top of Mt. Scott. What a spectacular view! There is a subdivision nearby that is called Oak Meadows. It's like a paradise out there. Unfortunately it's so far away from the business area although the kids would get to go to Elgin Schood District. I need to be close to the University for kids' music lessons (piano, violin and cello.) Also for church. Anyway, thanks and till next posting.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Academic Heights is right around the corner, about 2 roads down, they look pretty nice. Post is nice and quiet most the time, and everything is so close. We found lots of ponds and lakes around us for fishing. If it doesnt look good as time gets closer, stay in contact with the housing office, and maybe they would let you look inside one, several of them look unoccupied ( we walk around the neighborhood with the kids). We are settling in nicely, housing is making lots of repairs and genuinely seem to feel bad about the condition of our house. Good Luck

Old 07-26-2008, 02:39 PM

102 posts, read 287,683 times
Still waiting for our house to get sold. Can't wait to get moving. Not that we are miserable here in Ft. Hood. The schools are great and houses are at least $30-40 thousand cheaper than in Ft. Sill for the kind that we like. I'd rather stay here if the army would allow us. Oh well, at least my husband won't have to worry about 11 residents and "babysit" them.

Yes, I will definitely need to stay in contact with housing. We might get a miracle next week. Will keep you posted. Thanks Iham. Looking forward to enjoying the lakes.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,033 times
I feel I must brag a little on my hometown of Elgin, OK. There is much new construction going on, excellent school system, and all around its a pretty good place to live. I think you mentioned an edition out by the lake.... that is a nice area as well, however there isn't a grocery store close by if you need to run to the store for milk.. if you know what I mean.
I have lived in this area for my whole life (I do know there are other places on the earth!) and I can't say that I would live in Lawton! I don't mind going there for things that need to be done... work, WalMart, etc... But I would not want to live there.
My mom worked Civil Service at Fort Sill for 35years and drove from Elgin daily!
I hope this is helpful to you!
(My dad just happens to be building some new homes in the Elgin school district. They are very affordable and of the very best quality!! You can email me if you have any questions!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma