Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 01:49 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,682,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

The only truly depressing story I can think of is if I am unable to make this move stick and end up back in Oklahoma, but broke and unemployed.
If you come back, we'll see if we can get you a job with the OKC Chamber of Commerce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 06:08 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
You will find your niche, bawac.

Luckily, I worked in a field which most people shun, corrections. There will always be a job waiting no matter what state I live in. Prison is always there.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:52 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Bawac34618 Will Find His Niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You will find your niche, bawac.

Luckily, I worked in a field which most people shun, corrections. There will always be a job waiting no matter what state I live in. Prison is always there.

When I was separating from the Military in 1980 separation employment advisors ( Military ) were pushing
Hard ) trying to funnel soon to be Ex Military Personnel into the ( Correction Officers) field that Field was hyped as a employment Gold Mine.

However I cold turned that field down , along with being a " gate Keepers " at the mental hospitals ....

THREE months before I was separated from the service I completed a Application for the Contra Costra County Fire Department California and was accepted for placement on the employment list.

To show you how stupid I was in 1980 I didn't even train for the Fire Department PHYSICAL/APTITUDE
Tests ....having the attitude of a Veteran of two different military services....I got enough mental
and physical toughness and heart to get through any type of training without even training.

LOL...the above is never true in real life situations ....THE PHYSICAL TESTING almost killed me , I didn't
vomit thank GOD , but my KNEE'S where shaking so hard that I could barely even stand up...LOL

The last HOOP that I had to jump through was going before the hiring panel which had the Contra Costra Fire Chief on it with other high ranking fire personnel (HE) told me that they were going to hire me
because of my USCG United State Coast Guard fire fighting background......fighting fire at sea and on
land. Never heard from the FIRE CHIEF , I guess that some USCG ADMIRALS and CAPT'S Black Balled
me , because I kept mailing complaints letter to the ADMIRALS.....LOL...LOL....

The only first responder that I really wanted to be was a FIREMAN , but Lo And Behold The ADMIRALS took All Of That Away From ME.... _Redbird_ you were right about ( CO'S ) but no one wants to be a
first responder.....However I'm worried about BAWAC34618 not having a JOB OFFER BEFORE HE LEAVES OOOOOOOOOklahoma.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:15 PM

I took the fireman physical test. You are correct. It was tough! It nearly killed me and I was young.

Wackenhut (private prison) is located in Lawton and they get a LOT of veterans leaving Fort Sill. Good thing too, because that is one mean prison. They call it Stabbinghut.

Oh, I never said no one wants to be a first responder, I said no one wants to work in prison. No weapon, no nightstick, just a radio and a set of keys.

Bawac, don't set yourself up for failure. Get some job skills.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:21 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
I took the fireman physical test. You are correct. It was tough! It nearly killed me and I was young.

Wackenhut (private prison) is located in Lawton and they get a LOT of veterans leaving Fort Sill. Good thing too, because that is one mean prison. They call it Stabbinghut.

Oh, I never said no one wants to be a first responder, I said no one wants to work in prison. No weapon, no nightstick, just a radio and a set of keys.

Working at whacking ( Hut ) Prison , Man I salute your manhood and bravery _red bird_ I know men from a couple of my old churches that retired from a career of being a CO........

Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:

I have a degree and several years of experience, though I would be in better shape had I left my current job about three years ago.

My issue was that it's nearly impossible at my career level to find a job out of state without actually living there first. Most employers only want local candidates. Moving without a job is pretty much a requirement, unless I had something here in OKC that allowed me to transfer (which I don't), and I could not have done that before I got my car paid off. Well I could have, but it would have required me wrecking my credit with an auto repossession. So, I did the responsible thing and waited it out.

However, I am fairly confident that I'm going to be able to make this work.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Working at whacking ( Hut ) Prison , Man I salute your manhood and bravery _red bird_ I know men from a couple of my old churches that retired from a career of being a CO........
I was never duty stationed to StabbinHut. I went there to do some Parole reports.

Bawac, you need to contact someone who will help you get some job training that won't keep you down or beholden to any company. I prefer working for the state or federal, they have good benefits.

There have to be headhunters or some type of organization that helps people find jobs. Try USA Jobs for Federal jobs.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:27 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I was never duty stationed to StabbinHut. I went there to do some Parole reports.

Bawac, you need to contact someone who will help you get some job training that won't keep you down or beholden to any company. I prefer working for the state or federal, they have good benefits.

There have to be headhunters or some type of organization that helps people find jobs. Try USA Jobs for Federal jobs.
I offered as did others. But I do not smoke weed, complain about OK, whine about self inflicted debt, ... . Disqualified myself.

Fed jobs IT support are few and between. Most get handled by contractor companies and their requirements are strict when it comes to recreation.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
I have lived in Salina,Kansas and it’s a nice small town that is reasonable. I am a liberal democrat but had many friends in Kansas. I also lived in Wichita and it’s cheap as I visit my son there. The weather sucks and I had a weather radio to wake me up to go to the basement during tornado season. I left because I am seriously allergic to what grows there to the point where I was sick all the time. I live just fine at 4500 ft with asthma.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I offered as did others. But I do not smoke weed, complain about OK, whine about self inflicted debt, ... . Disqualified myself.
. I smoke weed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma