Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
It seems that a lot of the issues in Oklahoma originate at the state level -- tax cuts that caused budget shortfalls that led to poor maintenance, inadequate teacher pay, insufficient funding for law enforcement, etc. Is that starting to change?
Please do we have to rehash teacher pay? Which US state does not have those issues and more?
OP is in IT and shopping. My five cents after 16 moves - get a job which allowed you to up your standard of living. The rest will fall into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 07:42 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
It seems that a lot of the issues in Oklahoma originate at the state level -- tax cuts that caused budget shortfalls that led to poor maintenance, inadequate teacher pay, insufficient funding for law enforcement, etc. Is that starting to change?
Because of Oklahoma laws, school capital projects for construction and maintenance can be voted on and paid for locally in the school districts themselves so even urban TPS has pretty good school facilities and the suburban districts have generally really good to excellent school buildings and facilities. Teacher funding and pay is dictated by the state and definitely lags.

Law enforcement is a locally funded and generally is OK, but due to current law is only funded by local city sales taxes so in economic downturns it can be a problem. Crime rate issues have more to due with zero state emphasis on helping impoverished communities and outright hostility to helping have good social services, pay and healthcare for poor people. Oklahoma is a good place to live if you have even just a decent income, and a terrible place to be poor.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please do we have to rehash teacher pay? Which US state does not have those issues and more?
OP is in IT and shopping. My five cents after 16 moves - get a job which allowed you to up your standard of living. The rest will fall into place.
My peers at my company in the same job as I have in the Bay Area make quite a bit more money than I do, but they also have a far lesser standard of living. I have a better house, in a better neighborhood with better schools and a 15 minute commute compared to 2-3 hours and end up with more spending money. Where do you want to live? It might sound great to make $150k a year, but if you end up living in a 1400 sq ft house 2 hours from the office, is it really great?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
My peers at my company in the same job as I have in the Bay Area make quite a bit more money than I do, but they also have a far lesser standard of living. I have a better house, in a better neighborhood with better schools and a 15 minute commute compared to 2-3 hours and end up with more spending money. Where do you want to live? It might sound great to make $150k a year, but if you end up living in a 1400 sq ft house 2 hours from the office, is it really great?
To each his own We moved 16 times - across the US and three continents. OK suits us just fine but for the food dessert and I am coping with that though reluctantly.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
To each his own We moved 16 times - across the US and three continents. OK suits us just fine but for the food dessert and I am coping with that though reluctantly.
Food desert? How so? Where do you live?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Food desert? How so? Where do you live?
Mustang - no decent grocery stores unless you drive into OKC and then nothing to write home about. Fresh vegetables/fruits are hard to find.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Mustang - no decent grocery stores unless you drive into OKC and then nothing to write home about. Fresh vegetables/fruits are hard to find.
You're lucky to have what you got. At best, small town Oklahoma outside the metro areas has a Wal-Mart, maybe one more grocery store, along with a dollar store.

Fresh vegetables and fruits aren't in season yet.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
My wife's sister lives in Mustang. It seems nice but I have no idea about grocery stores. Years ago I lived in OKC and Norman and outside of Albertson's (which is long gone from Oklahoma) the stores were terrible.

I live in Jenks and we have a Reasor's, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (that I will not shop at) and a little Asian grocery here in town.

Within a 10-15 minute drive I also have two Whole Foods, a Sprouts, a Fresh Market, Costco, two Targets, Sams, two Wal-Mart Supercenters, a couple of Aldi's, a couple more Reasor's locations, a couple of Hispanic stores, an Indian market, German market, a couple more Asian markets, two good meat markets, a fish market that flies in fresh fish twice a day and the Bixby fresh produce markets. I have no issues.

It might be that Tulsa also has better grocery options.

Last edited by swake; 02-25-2020 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 11:21 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
I posted earlier that I'm planning to move to Tulsa in about a year. As part of my planning I checked out the food scene. It looks good for a city of that size. In addition to the grocery stores, there are a number of middle-eastern restaurants, including a Persian place (not that common), a Burmese restaurant, several Indian places, and an interesting assortment of other nationalities. More sophisticated than I expected.

Where's that fish market? I need to check it out.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
My wife's sister lives in Mustang. It seems nice but I have no idea about grocery stores. Years ago I lived in OKC and Norman and outside of Albertson's (which is long gone from Oklahoma) the stores were terrible.

I live in Jenks and we have a Reasor's, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (that I will not shop at) and a little Asian grocery here in town.

Within a 10-15 minute drive I also have two Whole Foods, a Sprouts, a Fresh Market, Costco, two Targets, Sams, two Wal-Mart Supercenters, a couple of Aldi's, a couple more Reasor's locations, a couple of Hispanic stores, an Indian market, German market, a couple more Asian markets, two good meat markets, a fish market that flies in fresh fish twice a day and the Bixby fresh produce markets. I have no issues.

That is great for you. I just do not have the time or the desire for a road trip once or twice a week. Aldi/Sprouts in Yukon were ok until what looks like management changes last summer. Tried Tinker AFB - dried crud from the pink liquid in pre packages Perdue chicken throughout the poultry section. Vegetables/fruit not fresh and prices extremely high.
Little Saigon's two markets seem to have the best vegetable section.
It is what it is. Locals do not display signs of scurvy and friends coming from out of state by car know what to bring
There is not even a farmers market. Please do not say the whole sale market is one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma