Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:25 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
I used to sleep right through the HUGE sounding thunderstorms in the White Mountains because they were relatively harmless.

In OK storms take on a whole new meaning...
If I lived alone, I'd still sleep through them,
I still tend to go right back to sleep...
But I'm responsible for 3 other people, so I HAVE to pay attention
and check out the situation...

Back in MA, we were at a hotel in Cape Cod and the fire alarm went off....
My wife got all upset when I wanted to go back to sleep...
My reasoning was that the place had cement between rooms....
(Turned out to be some clown set off fireworks in the stairwell.)

I live on the border of 2 counties, so I get 2 sirens here...
It's like living in England during WW-II.

But like I said, I don't worry too much about the alerts and sirens
these days...
It's been all new to me. It seems every other week or so there is some weather alert. Of course my husband says this is a really unusual year. As I mentioned before I get blaimed for all the weather. He says nothing happened till I got here. I am a weather witch. I flew home to see m kids in Utah and the day I got there they had a huge snow storm and the day I left it was a white out and it snowed constantly after that. My kids blamed me for that too...ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 03:37 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
It's been all new to me. It seems every other week or so there is some weather alert. Of course my husband says this is a really unusual year. As I mentioned before I get blaimed for all the weather. He says nothing happened till I got here. I am a weather witch. I flew home to see m kids in Utah and the day I got there they had a huge snow storm and the day I left it was a white out and it snowed constantly after that. My kids blamed me for that too...ha ha
Your husband is right as usual...
(He's paying me for the good P.R.)

Except for the part about you being the "Weather Witch"....
Everyone knows it's MK's fault that the weather went haywire.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:24 PM

99 posts, read 310,895 times
Having survived an F5 tornado, that was on the ground for 71 miles, starting in Kansas through Ruskin Heights, Missouri, in 1957, I don't find them fascinating, more like terrorizing. I am a cloud watcher, thanks to the tornado. And having a basement or a storm cellar is a good thing.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:39 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texangelwings View Post
Having survived an F5 tornado, that was on the ground for 71 miles, starting in Kansas through Ruskin Heights, Missouri, in 1957, I don't find them fascinating, more like terrorizing. I am a cloud watcher, thanks to the tornado. And having a basement or a storm cellar is a good thing.
How close was it to you?

Perhaps if you can describe the actual terror to those who
have no idea, you can change a few folks' ideas about them.

Never saw a tornado in person, and never want to....
(Sorry, just not that adventurous or crazy...)

People have a lot of romantic and exciting ideas about them,
but I don't need to see one in person to have respect for them.

While I don't live in fear of tornadoes, I don't look forward to
experiencing one either.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
How close was it to you?

Perhaps if you can describe the actual terror to those who
have no idea, you can change a few folks' ideas about them.

Never saw a tornado in person, and never want to....
(Sorry, just not that adventurous or crazy...)

People have a lot of romantic and exciting ideas about them,
but I don't need to see one in person to have respect for them.

While I don't live in fear of tornadoes, I don't look forward to
experiencing one either.
How close? Looking at the bottom of the pic, v shaped road, going left, then right on the first street, then right on the next street, third what is left of a house, with car sitting in front on this web address;

KC History Popup Image (broken link)

I will be back, later, to describe what it is like to go through a tornado. Heading for the swimming pool....

Old 06-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Surviving a tornado

The booklet that was published by the local paper, with pictures of the destruction of the "Twilight Twister" that hit, later to be determined to be an F5 tornado.

The Civil Defense sirens were blasting the warning of a tornado. We had to decide where we would go, we went outside and saw neighbors heading for the corner house, to go to the basement. We no more reached the front picture window of the house, when the adults stated the could see the tornado. They yelled head for the basement. In the basement there were old mattresses that the adults held over everyones heads, to protect us from flying glass of the basement windows. The sounds of breaking glass, roaring winds that were like a million trains, the sounds of debris flying everywhere, the air was like it was a vaccuum and then the silence, a calm after the storm. The smell of natural gas begin to fill the air. We quickly got out of the basement. As I was standing there waiting to find out where we were going to go next, I watched the tornado's tail still dancing back and forth as it traveled off in the distance, with lightening flashing all around.

After my father located us, he found a man that had a car that was running, so we hitched a ride into Kansas City, that night, to stay with my grandmother. It took us over 5 hours to get to KC, because of so many roads were blocked from power lines down across the roads.

It was scary and is something I will never forget!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
It is an awesome display of the power of Mother Nature. Good post, Texangelwings.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
It is an awesome display of the power of Mother Nature. Good post, Texangelwings.
Thank you redbird4848! Yes, you are right, a tornado is a very powerful display of Mother Nature!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Your husband is right as usual...
(He's paying me for the good P.R.)

Except for the part about you being the "Weather Witch"....
Everyone knows it's MK's fault that the weather went haywire.
I am sure he is paying someone and he is always pretty much right. Who is MK

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Ok I hope I never see or hear one. Good description and good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma