Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,758,068 times

Advertisements

But I didn't ask about alcohol. How come it was considered so wrong to sell cars on Sunday that it was banned to do so. even though cars and alcohol are about as different from each other as can be. Otherwise, there's not much else that's widely followed that should not be sold on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 06:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,354,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But I didn't ask about alcohol. How come it was considered so wrong to sell cars on Sunday that it was banned to do so. even though cars and alcohol are about as different from each other as can be. Otherwise, there's not much else that's widely followed that should not be sold on Sunday.
It all goes back to the Puritan Ethic. The Sabbath is supposed to be a day of rest, and selling anything is not resting. After the Flower Child/Hippie movement in the late '60s-early '70s, there were a lot more considerably more ridiculous [IMO] town ordinances enacted. Couldn't go into a store without a shirt, tie, shoes, etc. As soon as someone figured out a way to get around one ordinance, another would be enacted. Seemed pretty silly when 2 and 3 year olds suddenly had to wear t-shirts and shoes in order to go along grocery shopping with their mothers, for instance - at least the 'tie' part was only for teens and adults. When I was a kid, we simply didn't wear shoes in the summer other than to go to church. And no kid wore anything but shorts until they were about 4.

The biggest problem I see with it is that once a community gets the idea they can regulate some parts of the community's life, they start trying to regulate other parts as well. There are a lot of places where they will tell you how long the grass can be in your yard, how much of your property you can fence, what kind of fencing you can use, what colors you can paint your house, what kinds of bags have to be used to dispose of yard waste. I've seen it, and I don't like it. I don't want to be told what I can do with my property and how I have to do it, or how many people are allowed to live in it. I actually know of one case where a man and his wife had to sell their house because he had custody of his two children by a previous marriage, and he and his wife had 3 more of their own - it made too many non-related people [the stepmother and his two previous chldren] living in the same house. Didn't matter that they'd bought the house outright in the first place because of the excellent schools they'd anticipated all the kids attending.

Last edited by karibear; 08-07-2008 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,758,068 times
And so I still find myself asking why lawmakers in another time thought it would be doing something special to target cars as something not to sell on Sundays. Furniture stores open on Sunday, but not car lots. Why????? I gather it's a highly fascinating mystery, a strange tradition that just won't die in Oklahoma. And politicians don't seem to dare attack it.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Here are a few others:
Loony Laws - Outrageous Ordinances and Silly Statutes

I've seen/had books compiled of silly laws. In one state, it was illegal for a taxi not to have a bale of hay in it's trunk, for the horses that used to pull cabs. In another, it was illegal to commit suicide. I always wondered how they'd punish a corpse, but then, I've always had a somewhat skewed sense of humor. Actually, some of the 'loony laws' are tied to Federal laws and humane treatment of animals, so they aren't quite as loony as they appear.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:04 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,962,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
There are too many variables; it's too difficult to get an exact measurement for each batch, from what I understand.
I see, but that doesn't seem to be a problem w/ hard liquors, which clearly state the proof value for each bottle (per serving, of course).

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

687 posts, read 2,357,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I see, but that doesn't seem to be a problem w/ hard liquors, which clearly state the proof value for each bottle (per serving, of course).
Because the distilling process makes it inherently easier to control the amount of alcohol in the drink. With beer, you have yeast acting on it's own, so there are variables. How active is the yeast? Is the batch the correct temperature? That plays into all of it.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:10 PM

17,029 posts, read 31,034,452 times
OKC has a major league sports team now. They better repeal some of the drinking laws otherwise thats big $$$ lost.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
OKC has a major league sports team now. They better repeal some of the drinking laws otherwise thats big $$$ lost.
Just as long as all know that Mike's Hard Lemonade is actually alcoholic. Some guy got arrested at a game of some kind within the past year for letting his son sip it. They thought it was regular lemonade, until one of the security guards told him otherwise and arrested him and put his little boy into the state's child welfare system.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM

6 posts, read 26,157 times
Anybody who says they don't like the "taste of beer" never spent a summer working in the fields when the temp was 100+. Coming home when the day finally slips to night and your legs are rubber, your skin is parched from the heat, your hands and feet ache, and a cold beer is the most refreshing thing you have ever tasted (even if you were only 16).

Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 PM

6 posts, read 26,157 times
There are counties in TX that are completely dry. NO ALCOHOL SALES. That is way worse than 3.2 beer. Even in the DFW area there are place that they cannot sell alcohol. As far as surrounding states that have the best alcohol regulation look to Missouri. You can walk in a quick stop and buy a half gallon of crown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma