Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times

Advertisements

The "Bucking Horse and Rider" (unofficially referred to as the "Steamboat" symbol" has been the University of Wyoming's official symbol (as well as state symbol) since the early 1920's.

Oklahoma State and Wyoming reached some sort of agreement in 1993 over the use of Pistol Pete, but i cant find as to what this fully entails.
The origins of the famous drawing of Pistol Pete (below) seam up for debate. Both schools claim they came up with it. The assistant athletic director at Wyoming (Kevin McKinney) eluded that 1993 agreement basically ended a legal standoff over the symbol after both sides decided that it would be better to share the symbol then loose it completely. (Super important note: this is largely conjecture as Kevin wouldn't/couldn't be straight with me)

The caricature below was officially sanctioned/adopted by OSU in 1984 (It was used prior to that but never officially by the college. Most often by merchandisers and student groups). Wyoming used it in a official capacity much earlier.

Note: I've been interested in this subject for some time and came across this message board while doing some searching.

I tried doing a trademark search for both, but both schools seam to be constantly submitting variants on both of them.

Link's of interest:

WYOMING OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Traditions
Oklahoma State University - Library - Home

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Pistol_Pete.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma