Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 10:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,650 times

Advertisements

I am Cherokee, and currently living in Kansas City, MO. I want to move to Oklahoma, honestly, because I can get a financial break on housing and school there, since I have my Indian card. I would like opinions on who has the best courses on jewelry making and gemstones. I looked at OU, and it looks like they have great classes. I lived in LA for 17 years, and have been collecting vintage costume and fine jewelry. I now want to learn as much as I can..Any feedback about the school and the location as far as things to do, meeting available men, decent housing and a music scene (particularly REGGAE Music ) would be GREAT !!!! Thanks, Beccaboom7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:32 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Check and verify what areas you can live in to get Cherokee assistance. If I am not mistaken they will only help you if you reside in the Cherokee Nation. That may not apply to University, but I think, even for that, you have to maintain residence within the Cherokee boundaries. You can find a lot more assistance at Cherokee Nation

For the rest of it, the school is great, there is a thriving music scene in both Tulsa and the OKC metro area (Tulsa has an annual reggae fest), and both cities have lots to do, and as they compete with each other they try to out do each other in innovative and fun things.....and as they are only an hour and a half apart, they are accessible to everyone in both communities. As far as men are concerned, never having looked for one, I wouldn't know......but judging from the smiles on most womens faces on a daily basis, I am sure somewhere out there there are some pretty good ones......and enough to provide a good selection......

PS: I should have mentioned Stillwater.......it is every bit as good a school as OU in many areas, the music scene is, if anything, superior, and if you have a hankering for a marlboro type guy, that would be the place to visit..........

Old 06-18-2008, 11:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
if you are interested in Jewelry making you might check into Bacone College. My step father took a jewelry class there and loved it. Cherokee Nation might even help ya pay more than a regular school. It is an Indian school. Check it out.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
And if you really want to immerse yourself in the arts, I recommend IAIA, which is in Santa Fe, NM.

Institute of American Indian Arts

Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Hi guys and girls....THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH ! I AM GOING TO CHECK OUT ALL OF THE LEADS YOU GAVE. GOODPASTURE, YOU ARE CORRECT ABOUT BEING ABLE TO LIVE ONLY CERTAIN PLACES..RIGHT NOW THE RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM COVERS EAST TULSA, BARTLESVILLE, VINTA, GROVE, COLLINSVILLE, ALL IN WHAT THEY CALL AREA 2 AND AREA 4. HOWEVER, I AM ALSO DISABLED, SO I MAY BE ABLE TO FIND HOUSING THAT WAY. I AM TRYING TO REDUCE MY BILLS, AS THE HOUSE I AM IN NOW ENDS UP COSTING ABOUT 1100. BY THE TIME I PAY FOR EVERYTHING. LOVE THAT THERE IS A REGGAE SCENE !
OKPONDLADY, I WILL DEFINITELY CHECK OUT BACONE COLLEGE. REDBIRD, TRUST ME, IF I COULD AFFORD SANTA FE, I WOULD BE THERE ! I HAVE A SISTER THAT DEALS IN MUSEAM QUALITY NAVAJO RUGS, AND SHE DOES QUITE WELL. SHE LIVES IN THE BAY AREA, AND DRIVES THERE...THANKS TO ALL OF YOU..BLESSINGS, BECCA

Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 PM

Default To okpondlady from becca boom

Hi there...I just checked out Bacone college, and I love the selection of classes. I have always wanted to study Native Arts, crafts, dancing, painting, etc. One bummer, though, is that they canceled the silver smithing classes for some reason. They do offer a bronze casting, and maybe they are looking for a new instructor. I will call them tomorrow, but so far it sounds excellent. Thanks again..ps, do you have any Koi by chance. I love them so, and since you have a pond in your name, just wondered...becca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma