Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 13,594 times

Advertisements

We are searching for a new place to live, have two small children, preschool and elementary and need to know how things are in Chickasha. I read that the crime rate is very high and that bothers me. But I would really like to hear about the city and how it entertains its people. How are the schools and are there private schools? Are the people friendly? Which areas are ideal to bring up a family, realizing that there is no perfect place. Also, how is the job situation? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM

17,780 posts, read 13,673,847 times
I lived in Chickasha for a while (in fact my house is for sale there) and I liked it a lot. Most of the crime is north of downtown and you will never have to go there as there are no schools, retail or anything up there.

Chickasha is a great place to me. It still seems like a sleepy small town but is just 30 minutes from OKC or Norman. It is big enough to have most of the things you need but small enough that you don't have traffic to any degree.
Has superwalmart, fast food, and a few decent locally owned restaurants.

The schools are just fine. My son went there and participated in sports and activities and made good friends even though he didn't get there until 9th grade. The hospital and the local doctors are excellent. I worked at the hospital and I can vouch for them.

The old part of Chickasha is green and has a lot of great old homes. There are newer parts of town that have more traditional suburban housing. They have a couple of golf courses if you like that type of thing.

The college there is the only liberal arts college in Oklahoma. Very small but provides an excellent education. They also provide some cultural events. Plays, sports, concerts etc. The local theatre playhouse is a big deal there.

I still have a lot of connections there if you need to know anything.

I live fairly close to Hobart now (which you mentioned in another thread) and I would pick Chickasha over Hobart unless you want to be in a really small town.

I think Chickasha is the least appreciated town in the OKC metro. Very underrated.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 13,594 times
Smile thank you Eddie

Your reply was extremely helpful. it was ironic that you were in the city I asked about and then moved close to the town I asked about in another thread. We are rather untraditional older parents to young children, our second set of children, missed the other ones too much, but anyway, I would appreciate any other advice that I can get. I do worry about the schools still, one preschool and one elementary and in another year going into middle school. So I will keep checking for more good advice. Thank you so very much.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,827,860 times
If you decide to settle in Chickasha, drop back by and I will give you recommendation on a FANTASTIC Dentist. We drive all the way from Duncan, and I just love them to pieces.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:36 AM

41 posts, read 168,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doriselm View Post
Your reply was extremely helpful. it was ironic that you were in the city I asked about and then moved close to the town I asked about in another thread. We are rather untraditional older parents to young children, our second set of children, missed the other ones too much, but anyway, I would appreciate any other advice that I can get. I do worry about the schools still, one preschool and one elementary and in another year going into middle school. So I will keep checking for more good advice. Thank you so very much.
I might be inclined to live in Chickasha, for many reasons. It's small, but close to OKC and the highway is right THERE! Wichita Falls is also easy. It's still a small town, but they have groovy sports facilities, Wal-mart and other conveniences. My nieces friend is a smart cookie, so I figure the schools are half decent, but I would check. They're probably better than Hobart schools.

(No offense to anyone in Hobart, just a personal opinion.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma