Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,974 times

Advertisements

Yes. I got a ticket yesterday for "failing to stop at a stop sign". It occurred about 1:30 yesterday afternoon two blocks away from campus. In the middle of a neighborhood at a 4 way stop with absolutely no traffic. Yes, I admit I didn't come to a complete stop. I did the usual roll, but I sure went from 25 all the way down to 2 or 3.

I had never even had any previous citations and this cop gives me a full blown ticket for that. I'm sorry but I lose all respect for people like that. The only reason I got a ticket is because I'm an 18 year old male driving a Mustang near a college campus. If I was a 40 year old female in a Subaru I wouldn't have even been pulled over. Heck I bet even a girl my age would've gotten off with a warning. But a full fledged ticket!? That's outrageous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 02:29 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,582 times
So should tickets be reflective of how much or how little you break the law?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
So should tickets be reflective of how much or how little you break the law?
Breaking the law is breaking the law. Not that I haven't seen many cops do exactly what I did themselves. Its disgusting how they stake out land near a college campus to pick people up on the most minor of violations. My question is though: If what I did didn't deserve a warning than what exactly is a warning deserved for? There's no doubt in my mind I was "discriminated" against

Old 11-12-2008, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 47,517 times
Dear Nameless,

I believe the law is something like right turn after stopping at a stop sign. You admit you did not stop. Get over it. You rolled the stop sign and if your post indicates your attitude at the time the officer contacted you, you got what you deserve.

If you were polite, admitted you were wrong, seemed truly sorry, maybe the officer did his job, which is to give tickets to folks that break the law.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM

330 posts, read 970,129 times
Well, they always have discretion. I suppose he could have given a warning, but he chose not to. Just like when people go flying down the highway, they don't exactly pullover everyone. Did he even say anything, give a lecture, or just write the ticket?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
I recently got a ticket from one of those video cameras located at an intersection in Irving (Texas). Those cameras are supposed to be visibly marked, but this one was not.

I rolled close to a stop at a red light and then turned right (on red).

The funny thing about those video camera tickets is that they DO NOT go on your driving record because it's a civil fine that doesn't exceed $100. I know your ticket wasn't the result of a camera, but I wanted to share my experience. It's the first time I've had a ticket in over a decade.

I could fight it and should win because the camera wasn't marked but I figure the judge would just slap me with the fine anyway; it's a city revenue thing.

Don't take it personal, the cop was probably told not to issue warnings because the city of Norman is needed a little extra "capital" this month.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Default Live and learn

All college campuses are like that. It's like shooting goldfish in a barrel. And all us old folks just sit back and chuckle because we done been there, done that.

No offense, but that donut is going to taste better with that ticket written. Just accept it as another one of life's lessons.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Dear Nameless,

I believe the law is something like right turn after stopping at a stop sign. You admit you did not stop. Get over it. You rolled the stop sign and if your post indicates your attitude at the time the officer contacted you, you got what you deserve.

If you were polite, admitted you were wrong, seemed truly sorry, maybe the officer did his job, which is to give tickets to folks that break the law.
I got what I deserved? Come on, I'm in college...the last thing I deserve is a driving ticket 15 seconds after getting in my car. All I did was nod and say okay. Don't you all go on pretending you don't roll them, some don't...most do.

And techie, all he did was when he got to my window told me he pulled me over for failure to stop at a stop sign and just asked for my license and registration. Then he came back and issue me the ticket and that was all. Heck, before he told me what I did I had no clue why he even stopped me.

Not like I'm asking you all to back me up because technically I broke the law. The oldest one in the book. I'm just positive because of the location it occurred in that the area was staked out and they were just waiting for some sucker. Preferably a college student with a fast car.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:21 PM

10 posts, read 47,517 times
Since it has been 40 years since college, I apologize, I did not know that today's college kids do not deserve traffic tickets for violating traffic laws.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM

779 posts, read 2,246,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I recently got a ticket from one of those video cameras located at an intersection in Irving (Texas). Those cameras are supposed to be visibly marked, but this one was not.

I rolled close to a stop at a red light and then turned right (on red).

The funny thing about those video camera tickets is that they DO NOT go on your driving record because it's a civil fine that doesn't exceed $100. I know your ticket wasn't the result of a camera, but I wanted to share my experience. It's the first time I've had a ticket in over a decade.

I could fight it and should win because the camera wasn't marked but I figure the judge would just slap me with the fine anyway; it's a city revenue thing.

Don't take it personal, the cop was probably told not to issue warnings because the city of Norman is needed a little extra "capital" this month.
You know what is crazy, Synopsis. I was in Dallas over the summer and in Plano, I was driving about 50 past some intersection 2 seconds after the light changed red twice. This intersection does have cameras and I though to myself that I was sure to receive two 75 dollar tickets in the mail because my car has Oklahoma tags. People in Plano tell me that the cameras have to flash in order for them to capture your license plates. Needless to say, I did not receive any tickets in the mail because the cameras did not flash (I am guessing they were not activated at the time). But man, when I ran the same intersection twice with camera's, my mom was in the car and was like, "are you serious, John?" That is the thing about driving in Texas, when I am on those roads, I cruise over the speed limit, like every one else and it is so great, lol.

Sorry to the OP who received a ticket at a stop sign. You have to be careful about the Oklahoma Police. They do not play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma