Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I can't believe there are apartments in NJ with no A/C???? Can she get a window a/c? I can't imagine going through a summer in NJ with no A/C. I barely tolerated it when I was a kid.
The place where they are staying is the cheapest we could find without it being in a dangerous area. There is a place for an ac unit, and as soon as we can afford it we're going to have one put in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
Default Tusla Winters

really not much of a winter.....a couple of cold spells, little to moderate snow....no need for chains or really a 4WD vehicle.

I have experinced snow of upstate New York, Eastern Utah, Nebraska, and Rapid City, SD. Possible for up to two feet of snow in a storm. Serious problems.

Someone asked why so few basements.......#1 is probably COST, #2 Soil type (rocky many areas) NE of Tulsa apt to be high water table around Claremore.

People are friendly and won't bother you but will respond to your desire for friendship or to be just left alone, if that is your desire.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 AM

445 posts, read 1,071,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icvegan View Post
seriously? Tulsa number 1? Not that i hate tulsa or anything, but out of the entire country tulsa is number 1? On what did they base this? Did we get bonus points for the number of meth labs or something? I like tulsa just fine, but this really surprises me.
lol...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 AM

445 posts, read 1,071,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
My experience has always been that people from west of Oklahoma think Oklahoma is humid, and people from east of Oklahoma think it's dry. Humidity is relative, no pun intended.
You're right! Born and raised in Maryland. There, it can get very humid, but temps are bearable. Here, IMO, since I've been here. Dry, but hot to the point of irritation, lol. I was in Georgia, UGH, sauna type humidity. Texas, IMO, dry, and hot as hell. I don't know which is worse, humidity that leaves you sticky and brings out the waves in your hair, or HOT temps, that make your skin feel taut...sigh. I'll take hot over cold anyday, though, lol.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Location: Canadian in Tulsa, OK...counting down 2 years and a wake up
51 posts, read 158,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Humidity in South Korea with no air conditioning available......that beats all of you! I went for years without a/c....each summer, never had clothes that were not damp--either from humidity, not drying after being washed three days before, or sweat.
LOL S. Korea...oh yea the humidity and the Winter sucks...especially standing in formation in that weather!!!

I loved TX weather though even when I was in the military. But Polk (LA) is got to be the Afro capital of the US. Really humid!

I'm originally from Toronto so I love the Snow...and I'm a winter baby so gotta love the Snow.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:54 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
When I think of a great city, I think there should be a variety of professional sports teams, a well established theater district, a thriving local music scene, a mountain or an ocean nearby, etc. Tulsa has some good fundamental numbers, but I don't think it has the intangibles.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:49 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Tulsa is a pretty city, and you can get around in it easily. I can see why it was chosen. I am not one to even like cities, and my choices would have nothing to do with jobs but beauty. My brother believes that Portland is the most beautiful American city, and I trust his judgment on that. I would choose a town like Eureka Springs, AR or Gutherie. Smaller, yes. I would probably love Portland except for the rain.

Try living in LA?

That is the truth. I just hope that people don't start pouring into OKC and Tulsa and make it as unliveable as LA. Perhaps the tornadoes will keep them away. But many of us left CA to get out of traffic and as usual wish to close the door behind us. But we are never hostile about it. We still welcome newcomers here.

Humidity?

OK is nothing like the coast of Florida. At 7 a.m. in Florida you can be sitting still and your clothing will be absolutely wet. I could not even garden in Florida. MS was the same--almost.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The other day, when it was in the 70s here, my wife called me from New Jersey (the apt. has no air conditioning) and it was 94 degrees. She said it was horrible and she's on the 16th floor. I check the weather online and sure enough it was that hot there and had been for a couple of days.

You know, I lived all over Texas, and I can't remember the humidity being a problem. (I know, you wife is in NJ) But I do remember MS and FL. What I do remember is the unbearable heat in Laredo, TX. More unbearable than anywhere else I had lived. (Was it humid? Don't remember.)

Old 06-12-2009, 07:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Tulsa is a pretty city, and you can get around in it easily. I can see why it was chosen. I am not one to even like cities, and my choices would have nothing to do with jobs but beauty. My brother believes that Portland is the most beautiful American city, and I trust his judgment on that. I would choose a town like Eureka Springs, AR or Gutherie. Smaller, yes. I would probably love Portland except for the rain.

Try living in LA?

That is the truth. I just hope that people don't start pouring into OKC and Tulsa and make it as unliveable as LA. Perhaps the tornadoes will keep them away. But many of us left CA to get out of traffic and as usual wish to close the door behind us. But we are never hostile about it. We still welcome newcomers here.

Humidity?

OK is nothing like the coast of Florida. At 7 a.m. in Florida you can be sitting still and your clothing will be absolutely wet. I could not even garden in Florida. MS was the same--almost.
Eureka Springs is ONE BEAUTIFUL CITY. I'd love to live there. Regarding humidity, Florida and MS are horrible regarding humidity.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
My experience has always been that people from west of Oklahoma think Oklahoma is humid, and people from east of Oklahoma think it's dry. Humidity is relative, no pun intended.
lol, well said.

i grew up in new mexico where the air was so dry that you could take a piece of bread out and lay it on the table, and crush it into breadcrumbs 5 minutes later. west texas, in comparison, seemed very humid. when i moved to lubbock and had a job at texas tech as a go-fer running errands in a nicely air-conditioned ford f-150, i thought something was wrong with the truck because it kept dripping; never saw water condense out of the air like that before! my friends thought i must be some kind of idiot

then i moved to galveston and learned what real humidity was..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma