Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 20,531 times

Advertisements

I am curious if anyone here is or knows anyone who is an EMT. I'm about to start my classes for this soon and I want to have a general idea what someone in that field makes. What is your salary?

I'm aiming for Oklahoma City/Moore area.

Thanks,
Billy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 01:41 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
Seems like everyone "use to be one". Around here the primary reason for no longer being an EMT is the pay. However, since you are going to be in one of the larger towns/cities, maybe your pay will be higher than rural areas.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 AM

657 posts, read 1,599,551 times
The reason I'm no longer one is because I never got nationally certified.. and have yet to go back to school here for it. eventually I'll get around to it..

for me, it's not the pay. as long as i can eat, I'll do what i love, and helping people is what i love doing.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 AM

I get that. That's the reason I'm getting into the medical field is to help people, but I need to pay for my classes so I was wondering if EMT then Physician's Assistant was the way for me to go.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:29 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
EMTs are the first responders in so many cases and they see such horrible things. It's almost like being a Soldier or Marine that sees bad things so often it creates PTSD.

It takes a special person to be an EMT. My hat's off to all of them. They certainly aren't paid what they are worth.

They're right up there with the military, firemen, and police IMO.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM

274 posts, read 518,462 times
I was a NR-EMT for most of my military career. I didn't continue with it after I retired. I may get certified again after I move if there is a shortage of medical personnel in the area. I wouldn't really be looking for much if any money. I would even consider a volunteer ambulance just to make some new friends.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 12,989 times
Default EMT's Alive and Well in Oklahoma!

There are lots of EMT's in Oklahoma 7K+..... The majority are in Rural OKC and those of us who are out here are volunteers. We do it for little or no money because we feel the need. I am scared of guns and refuse to run into a burning building so I do what I love, help through the medical side.

Oklahoma requires us to be nationally registered as EMT's, we have to meet all of the same requirements that paid services and crewmembers must. We are equal in almost every way!... The only difference is the wage....or lack thereof.

I wouldn't trade my time in the field for any desk job in the world. EMT's work in an unstable environment and make order out of chaos. The ulitmate rush.

If you are planning to come to OK and be paid as an EMT, OKC, Tulsa have EMSA, it is a good company, There are several other paid services, Enid, Norman, Woodward, Shawnee, Ardmore just to name a few. The pay scale is not horrible and the guys and gals are professionals with heart.

I would love to get some dialogue going here about EMS in Oklahoma today and the uphill battle we have for survival. Any takers?

Old 05-23-2009, 10:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,911,752 times
Good EMT's are almost as valuable as Doctors. In many cases, they ARE more valuable because they can mean life and death for a patient, well before a Doctor has a chance.

And there are a lot of good ones out there because of the statements made in this very thread "You're in it with your heart."

Old 05-24-2009, 03:18 PM

I love that there are people out there who can do EMT through volunteer, but since I'm wanting to help people while continuing my education and living in my apartment I would love it to get paid at the same time. Therefore, I cannot afford to volunteer my services. I really want to do EMT or some kind of area where I can help people to suppliment my education to become a physical therapist. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 12,989 times
I realize that you are looking for work (paid) for EMS. I listed several services that are paid services that you should look at. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I actually work full-time for a volunteer service.

You could also try the OSU Fire Training services. They are always running classes for EMT, FR, FF, etcetera.

EMS is like a fire in the blood. It keeps you moving, training, helping. The feeling of doing something to help others cannot be explained. We work in the uncontrolled area of the real world. Takes a measure of compassion, a whole lot of training and a good sized dollop of insanity. Not always in that order!!

Any thoughts on the EMT/OHP video that was posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma