Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times

Advertisements

I lived in Omaha about 15 years ago and have recently become enchanted with the idea of returning there to raise our two young children. However the perceptions of a young college student, which I was at the time, might not be accurate or the same a decade and a half later. So here go some goofy questions...

First, how would you describe the people of Omaha? You know how different areas have a different feel to the population. When I lived in Austin people were very friendly, always smiling and talking to complete strangers. Here in Albuquerque people are still friendly, but more guarded. What I remember of Omaha is that people were friendly, but very real. No pretentiousness, no fake-nice, and a degree of stoicism. It was something I liked very much.

Second, is there a noticeable difference between people in the Omaha metro area and people in rural Nebraska? In my personal experience during the three years I lived there, every single experience I had in rural Nebraska was less than friendly. In fact, a few interactions were downright condescending and rude. Was it just my imagination??? Or is there animosity between urbanites and ruralites?

Third, I seem to remember Omahans being fairly laid back. For example, would it be unusual to go to a doctor's appointment and to see your doctor wearing a dress shirt and pants - but no tie? Can you dine at a nicer restaurant wearing jeans without standing out? If I am the kind of woman who refuses high-lights, botox, and french manicures, will I be frowned upon by other women? You get my point...

Thanks in advance for any replies

-Omaha Dreamer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 AM

119 posts, read 438,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
First, how would you describe the people of Omaha? You know how different areas have a different feel to the population. When I lived in Austin people were very friendly, always smiling and talking to complete strangers. Here in Albuquerque people are still friendly, but more guarded. What I remember of Omaha is that people were friendly, but very real. No pretentiousness, no fake-nice, and a degree of stoicism. It was something I liked very much.
People are generally nice. I wouldn't say they talk to complete strangers all the time, but that depends on where you are at. If you are at an event or place where people go for more than just doing their business or running errands (like one of the farmer's markets or the Old Market Downtown area, etc) you might get chatted up by a stranger a lot more easily than you would at a grocery store or a gas station. Many people will smile or say hello if you say hello first. In my experience, many strangers (especially men) have waited and held open doors for me even though I was some distance behind them. Of course, there are always jerks out there but you never know for sure if they are having a bad day or just aren't from around here.

Quote:
Second, is there a noticeable difference between people in the Omaha metro area and people in rural Nebraska? In my personal experience during the three years I lived there, every single experience I had in rural Nebraska was less than friendly. In fact, a few interactions were downright condescending and rude. Was it just my imagination??? Or is there animosity between urbanites and ruralites?
I don't spend a lot of time in rural areas but my interactions have never left a bad impression. I took a road trip around Nebraska a few years back, avoiding the interstate, and the worst treatment I received was at a Pizza Hut in Valentine where no one noticed we were waiting to be seated, and when we seated ourselves, failed to notice us then also. That may have had more to do with the teenaged staff and the fact that it was a slow night an hour before closing.

Quote:
Third, I seem to remember Omahans being fairly laid back. For example, would it be unusual to go to a doctor's appointment and to see your doctor wearing a dress shirt and pants - but no tie? Can you dine at a nicer restaurant wearing jeans without standing out? If I am the kind of woman who refuses high-lights, botox, and french manicures, will I be frowned upon by other women? You get my point...
People definitely dress on the more casual side for all things. One of my doctors usually dresses as you've described. I haven't gone to any of the places that Omaha considers 'fine dining' like Paxton Chophouse or other pricey places, but I can say that most restaraunts just under that category jeans are acceptable, I usually dress them up with a nice top and accessories. I don't highlight my hair or get manicures anymore, and don't bother with pedicures when wearing sandals, and if anyone has ever looked down on me, they haven't mentioned it or I haven't noticed. The only time I ever felt out of place was *maybe* at O!fest (formerly Taste of West Omaha) a few weeks ago when the Cougars and cougars in training were out in full force and dressed to go clubbing. I'd never seen so many surgical enhancements, fake tans, giant sunglasses and ridiculously trendy shoes in one place outside of reality tv!

Fortunately, the event was not completely over-run with these types, but it was a marked difference from the more diverse crowd I've witnessed at a similar downtown event.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 AM
CCJ

55 posts, read 168,860 times
I grew up in Rio Rancho/Albuquerque, then spent 5 years in San Antonio and we just moved to Omaha about 6 weeks ago. In my opinion, Texas was much more friendly than New Mexico. One of those things you don't notice until you are away from it. I wasn't sure what to expect of Omaha, but I have not been disappointed. We feel very welcomed in our neighborhood and when I have been out and about, I found the same. I haven't been out in rural NE yet, so no comment there.

Overall, Omaha feels more laid back than anywhere I have been but I mostly notice in relation to parenting. In NM & TX, our kids didn't play outside without an adult there with them (unless it was in a closed back yard). Here everyone seems much more comfortable with letting their kids play much more independently and it took some getting used to for us. My kids do have boundaries and have to ask permission to go into friends houses, but it is a far cry from the way things went in TX. And I am not a high maintenance girl either, and I haven't felt out of place at all. I will be sad when I have to put away the flip flops though!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times
Thanks for the replies, they help a lot!

Vpandora - lol "cougars and cougars in training" Also glad to hear that you've had pleasant experiences in rural areas. My experiences probably stemmed from me being a snotty teenager at the time!

CCJ - nice to hear from a fellow New Mexican gone Nebraskan! Hope it's going well for you and yours. I know I will miss the balloon fiesta, perfect weather, chili, sky, air, mountains, etc when we eventually move - but I won't miss being in a state that is at the bottom of most good lists and the top of most bad lists, won't miss the pervasive crime, lack of criminal justice, extreme corruption, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha