Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:41 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I hear ya Marmom. I grew up poor too. Why do people think that all Americans are rich?
I know, it's crazy huh? People in other countries think the streets are paved with gold here. Granted our standard of living is a lot higher than some other countries, but no denying there are some reallly poor folks in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I know, it's crazy huh? People in other countries think the streets are paved with gold here. Granted our standard of living is a lot higher than some other countries, but no denying there are some reallly poor folks in this country.
I think "poor" is a state of mind more than a physical condition.

GL2

Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I think "poor" is a state of mind more than a physical condition.

GL2
I agree with you GL2. It's like the quote "abundance is not something you acquire, it's something you tap into." However people whose basic needs (e.g. food, shelter) are not met might disagree... But the quality of most of everything in life is determined by state of mind. There are poor people who are happy and content, and then there are people who seemingly have it all and are still miserable. Look at Mel Gibson.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
You do realize that you are contradicting yourself here, don't you?

If they are being stopped and have a licence and registration, then they clearly were stopped on false assumptions.
There has been a lot of disinformation put out about these laws that have been coming up. None of them allow LE to approach someone that hasn't committed some kind of infraction of the law. Under the Federal Law I believe a Border Agent can. My point is that the new laws are more lenient than the Federal Laws.

I'm sorry if my message was confusing, I'm not very articulate. What I meant was that LE can't stop you unless you break the law. And if they stop you and you have license and registration you will be sent on your way, just like it has always been.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
I agree with you GL2. It's like the quote "abundance is not something you acquire, it's something you tap into." However people whose basic needs (e.g. food, shelter) are not met might disagree... But the quality of most of everything in life is determined by state of mind. There are poor people who are happy and content, and then there are people who seemingly have it all and are still miserable. Look at Mel Gibson.
I absolutely agree. Growing up poor I learned to appreciate everything I had. I had three kids and went through a divorce. I had to go on welfare for 2 years while I went to school. I decided to continue my education and get my bachelors and I could have stayed on Welfare for 2 more years. But allowing someone else to provide for my family made me feel very weak so I worked for the second 2 years that I went to school.

My kids grew up knowing how important it is to take responsibility for your actions and to be thankful for what you have instead of looking at what someone else has and feeling sorry for yourself for what you don't have.

I guess for me happiness comes from within. I've been fortunate in that I've worked hard and have aquired "things". And that is all they really are is "things". But happiness is not derived from "things". It comes from knowing that I worked hard along the way to make things easier at this point in my life. And probably more important is that I know as well, what I can live "without".

I have been fortunate enough to travel to Mexico on vacation and get to know some Mexicans there. They are wonderful people that may not have much but are thankful for what they have. There are a couple families there that I have tried to help out but I always have them make me something in return so they can take my gift with dignaty. They are proud, kind and giving people. And very happy, even though thay don't have a lot of "things".

After all this rambling (sorry) it's not what you have but who you are that matters. And an advantage to growing up poor is that if I ever lose it all I will still be happy because I know how to live without all the "things".

Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
I never said anyone breaking the laws were "justified". I'm speaking up on the hate and bigotry against them. If people took the time to educate themselves on the lives and individual life stories of each illegal..they'd know there is a heck of a lot more to it than "breaking the law".
I'm not asking for any rules or laws to be broekn, but that a human touch needs to be shown. Compassion, sympathy and love for humans who were led to these curcumstances because of their poverty stricken lives.

Its much like someone who kills someone for molesting their child. Its WRONG to murder and take another persons life Regardless of the circumstances. But if we know the background of the situation we are mor elikely to have compassion and less hate.
Wow, you are a very scary person. You defend criminals of all types. If someone molests a child, we're supposed to check out their background, and if they had a bad childhood, we are supposed to feel Compassion for them????? "oh its ok george, you poor thing, its ok you sexually abused my child cause you were beat as a child" My gawd dont you realize how illegals are destroying this country?? You think its ok for them to get freebies here while WE pay for it? What about my 78 yr old neighbor who is paying her Large share to support illegal familes, but she cant afford her life saving meds??? Do YOU feel compassion for her??

Do you not get, that if we didnt have the illegal burden, WE wouldnt be forced to live at a poverty level?? Because mexico doesnt take care of their own, WE have to sink to their way of life? So we build this great country and you think its ok to let another country destroy us?? I'm all for empathy, but I'm sure not gonna let my kids starve to save the world. You do know we have staving and homeless CHILDREN here dont you? Where's your empathy for them? And guess what, some of them are brown too...American born though, so I guess they dont count.

And as far as our movie stars hiring nannies...I'd sure like to make what they make! They dont even come close to making slave labor monies, PLUS they get to live in a mansion & go on expensive trips! Poor babies...
You, for some reason think millions of people that DONT belong here, get to enjoy the good life at our expense. WE pay for their freebies! Why???? You must not be affected by the invasion, thats the only reason anyone in their right mind would feel its fair for one group to support another. I do blame the media, they put all the poor little sob stories on, but ignore all the harm these criminals cause. I beg of you, do some research,...see the other side. Find the Americans sob stories..it will break your heart. Go find the videos of them mocking us, disrespecting our flag, yelling for us to leave & go to europe. Listen to them saying they are going to kill our white babies. Listen to them explain their plan to breed like rabbits so they can be the majority. And I dont mean all of them, some are very nice, but they still broke our laws...laws that are NO where near as strict as from the country they come from!

Rant over, but I have never read anyone defend them in such a way as you have...thats why I'm going to believe your ill informed.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Quote:
If you are living in the US and can still say this than you are dilussional. We also have a population of underpriveledged here. And no, we can't just walk in to the welfare office or hospital and get what we want for free. And ya see, nothing is free. SOMEONE is paying for it, just not you!

Part of the problem with trying to intellectually debate this issue is that those that feel "entitled" to the benefits of US citizens, argue their point by assuming that all Americans live in nice homes and have cable and the whole list that you concocted. It's a falacy that Calderone or someone else fed you.
And I'm sorry I make you sick because I don't feel responsible for feeding the world. I gladly pay my share to help citizens that are here LEGALLY as well as volunteering and giving to charity. Am I bigotted and biased when I do that or am I only bigotted and biased when I don't want to support someone that comes here illegally and tries to steal the things I give willingly to legal citizens.

Please respond.
You are a ray of sunshine & sanity in this thread. I posted before I read a lot of yours & you said it better than me. I think we're beating a dead horse, but I think your right where you gave the reason for all of the crazy posts here...I think we're trying to convice some of the "benefters" of having the illeagls here. Keep up the good work & wish I could rep you a million times!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I absolutely agree. Growing up poor I learned to appreciate everything I had. I had three kids and went through a divorce. I had to go on welfare for 2 years while I went to school. I decided to continue my education and get my bachelors and I could have stayed on Welfare for 2 more years. But allowing someone else to provide for my family made me feel very weak so I worked for the second 2 years that I went to school.

My kids grew up knowing how important it is to take responsibility for your actions and to be thankful for what you have instead of looking at what someone else has and feeling sorry for yourself for what you don't have.

I guess for me happiness comes from within. I've been fortunate in that I've worked hard and have aquired "things". And that is all they really are is "things". But happiness is not derived from "things". It comes from knowing that I worked hard along the way to make things easier at this point in my life. And probably more important is that I know as well, what I can live "without".

I have been fortunate enough to travel to Mexico on vacation and get to know some Mexicans there. They are wonderful people that may not have much but are thankful for what they have. There are a couple families there that I have tried to help out but I always have them make me something in return so they can take my gift with dignaty. They are proud, kind and giving people. And very happy, even though thay don't have a lot of "things".

After all this rambling (sorry) it's not what you have but who you are that matters. And an advantage to growing up poor is that if I ever lose it all I will still be happy because I know how to live without all the "things".
You are simply awesome . Thanks for sharing your story!!!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Wow, you are a very scary person. You defend criminals of all types. If someone molests a child, we're supposed to check out their background, and if they had a bad childhood, we are supposed to feel Compassion for them????? "oh its ok george, you poor thing, its ok you sexually abused my child cause you were beat as a child" My gawd dont you realize how illegals are destroying this country?? You think its ok for them to get freebies here while WE pay for it? What about my 78 yr old neighbor who is paying her Large share to support illegal familes, but she cant afford her life saving meds??? Do YOU feel compassion for her??

Do you not get, that if we didnt have the illegal burden, WE wouldnt be forced to live at a poverty level?? Because mexico doesnt take care of their own, WE have to sink to their way of life? So we build this great country and you think its ok to let another country destroy us?? I'm all for empathy, but I'm sure not gonna let my kids starve to save the world. You do know we have staving and homeless CHILDREN here dont you? Where's your empathy for them? And guess what, some of them are brown too...American born though, so I guess they dont count.

And as far as our movie stars hiring nannies...I'd sure like to make what they make! They dont even come close to making slave labor monies, PLUS they get to live in a mansion & go on expensive trips! Poor babies...
You, for some reason think millions of people that DONT belong here, get to enjoy the good life at our expense. WE pay for their freebies! Why???? You must not be affected by the invasion, thats the only reason anyone in their right mind would feel its fair for one group to support another. I do blame the media, they put all the poor little sob stories on, but ignore all the harm these criminals cause. I beg of you, do some research,...see the other side. Find the Americans sob stories..it will break your heart. Go find the videos of them mocking us, disrespecting our flag, yelling for us to leave & go to europe. Listen to them saying they are going to kill our white babies. Listen to them explain their plan to breed like rabbits so they can be the majority. And I dont mean all of them, some are very nice, but they still broke our laws...laws that are NO where near as strict as from the country they come from!

Rant over, but I have never read anyone defend them in such a way as you have...thats why I'm going to believe your ill informed.
Thank you for your wonderful, eloquent and truthful post...

Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM

116 posts, read 281,944 times
I think I am in love with Ambermerci.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha