Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 02:03 PM

17 posts, read 62,657 times

Advertisements

What about the limits of Benson??

Is it in the middle of North Omaha??

I still do not get how Omaha neighborhoods work.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,558,418 times
Some of the neighborhoods were actually small towns who's history goes back to the start of the region... Omaha as it grew eventually annexed them (Benson, Florence, Millard, Elkhorn, etc)....

Benson is not in the middle of "North Omaha" if using that term in the traditional sense... "North Omaha" is actually now northeast Omaha south of Florence and north of downtown...

Geographically I guess Benson probably is the midlle of the northern section of town. The actual boundaries of Benson would be about 72nd to Fontenelle and Western to Ames. Here is a link to the Benson Neighborhood Assoc.

As you move west the names you hear of neighborhoods are generally subdivision names and not names of old towns.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,326 times
DowntownBenson.com :: Omaha's Classic Neighborhood :: Welcome

Old 05-21-2008, 06:06 AM

57 posts, read 230,403 times
We wanted to explore the Benson area a couple of weeks ago (on a SAturday morning) but we could not find anyplace to park and finally gave up. All the spots on the street were taken and all the side roads (at least the three or four we turned down) had no parking signs on them. We'll have to come back another time to try again, because it looked interesting. I guess not enough parking is a good problem to have, as it means that lots of people were there.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,976 times
There is an old area just East of the University of Arizona with some nice old homes. There are no-parking signs there, too. I have seen a couple of places around town where you are not allowed to park unless you live there. Otherwise, I suppose that the residents could not park.
I came here from Omaha in 1944 and Tucson was really nice for years, all laid back. It's nickname is The Old Pueblo. Just this week, the mayor and some businessmen want to call it something else because they think that the name is too old and dusty, and will not attract business.
They can go jump. Plenty of us who grew up here like the name. It identifies the town in a nice way. I don't know why no-one would want to open a business here, simply because of a nick-name.
Lots of people have opened businesses in New Amsterdam, ignoring idiots like Bloomberg, who is the mayor there. Actually, Tucson is way too big, as there is a water problem. There are too many Easterners and Northerners coming here, plus quite a few from South of town, if you get my drift.
I think that I will print my list here.
If you are thinking of moving to Arizona, don't, because we have:
1)poisonous snakes--our two baseball clubs are the Diamondbacks and Sidewinders
2)scorpions
3)black widow spiders
4)tarantulas
5)no water
6)lots of forest fires
7)mountain lions running loose
8)wild pigs
9)rabid coyotes
10)tens of millions of cacti
11)unbearable heat--many weeks over 100 degrees
12)wages are some of the lowest in the country
13)all military bases are targeted by Russian hydrogen bombs ( never dismantled )
14)centipedes
15)Gila monsters
16)millions of red or black fire ants
17)no really good jazz stations
18)fatal flash floods if it rains
19)some of the highest gasoline prices in the USA
20)vultures
21)West Nile virus
22) dust storms
23)bobcats walk the streets, sometimes 3 at a time
24)illegal aliens--400,000 or more, at last count
25)brown recluse spiders

I may have missed a few things, but, you get the idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: