Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,956 times

Advertisements

anyone think Gray got bought off? that is what many think happened.

Councilman Reconsiders CVS Vote - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/news/24939911/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,956 times
btw:

to councilman ben gray

when u going to say something or help bring business to the mostly empty bakers plaza at 50th and ames which is in your area

(unlike 49th and dodge which isnt in ben gray's area)

Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,537 times
I think he just finally realized that any new company is a good thing in this economy. While I may not agree with a suburban style store (like the walgreens at 24th @ L I assume), it's certainly better than the run down buildings there now.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM

306 posts, read 714,719 times
I think CVS is willing to design a more urban store to tie in with the surrounding buildings. It most likely won't be the traditional white box like you see off of 144th and Maple.

Here's one example of another project. It doesn't look too bad:

Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

262 posts, read 1,026,270 times
Actually, that looks terrible to my eyes. The color scheme is obnoxiously loud and the sign is huge. That doesn't look like it fits in with the rest of the neighborhood at all.

Another national chain pharmacy isn't going to help Omaha's economy. Get this crap out of Dundee!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
Another national chain pharmacy isn't going to help Omaha's economy. Get this crap out of Dundee!
I disagree, Any job is a job. Sure they likely pay most employees just above minimal wage but is that not better than unemployment?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM

306 posts, read 714,719 times
The 49er isn't exactly the prettiest structure out there, let's face it. Anything new that goes in that corner will be a vast improvement aesthetically.

Putting a CVS in will increase property values in addition to the sales tax revenue generated. I don't see anything other than the desire to remain stagnant that's preventing this project from moving forward.

http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/assessdoc/Photos/39/R09526500000001.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-10-2010, 01:32 PM

48 posts, read 103,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
The 49er isn't exactly the prettiest structure out there, let's face it. Anything new that goes in that corner will be a vast improvement aesthetically.

Putting a CVS in will increase property values in addition to the sales tax revenue generated. I don't see anything other than the desire to remain stagnant that's preventing this project from moving forward.

Preserving the character of the neighborhood is what is preventing the project from moving forward. I really don't understand this new is better attitude. Dundee is an old neighborhood and the people who live there like it that way. Keep your beige, boring, characterless buildings in the suburbs and when you drive to Applebees tonight you can be very happy that you don't have to look at any historic buildings that make you uncomfortable. Really, this is the same attitude (I understand the scale is different) that resulted in this city losing the old post office and jobbers canyon. And, by the way, the 49r has been a successful business for decades - there is nothing stagnant about running a successful, local business that has history and character. Next you will want to tear down Joslyn Castle and build a White Castle.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaw08 View Post
there is nothing stagnant about running a successful, local business that has history and character. Next you will want to tear down Joslyn Castle and build a White Castle.
You can't really compair the Joslyn Castle with the 49er bar! The Joslyn Castle has style, class, character, and history. Not to mention the fact it is Omahas only castle. The 49er bar is a run of the mill box that is not really architecturally significant! Now if it had some of the charm of the 1800's era buildings along s24th I could say it was worth saving, but really, save a box?

Now something like this is worth saving
http://douglasne.mapping-online.com/assessdoc/Photos/37/R04105900000001.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM

262 posts, read 1,026,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
I disagree, Any job is a job. Sure they likely pay most employees just above minimal wage but is that not better than unemployment?
There is no employment crisis when it comes to the minimum-wage jobs that CVS would grace Omaha with. The unemployment crisis isn't about a shortage of ****ty jobs, it's about a shortage of well-paying professional-level jobs. It's not hard to find a fast food restaraunt/grocery store/pharmacy/retail store that is hiring, especially not in Omaha where unemployment rates are relatively low any way. Omaha needs more hole-in-the-wall bars and less commercialized franchised crap. The former is what makes neighborhoods and cities great. The latter is what makes them identical to every other suburban landscape in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: