Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:37 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,550,271 times

Advertisements

just like blondo and 72nd's old bakers

and the old target on saddle creek

it time these old lots be used for something
=======================================

It used to be known as the golden mile of Sarpy County," said La Vista Mayor Doug Kindig.

Twenty years ago, the stretch of 84th Street in La Vista was the best place to find retail. Now, at the old Wal-Mart the only thing being sold are used vehicles. The retail giant has been paying the rent for the space ever since it left La Vista to build a new store a mile away in October of 2006. But now that the lease has ended, the grip is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
Annette Ryan, owns Amber Ray's Tanning in the same complex. She says her place has a great clientele but the walk-in traffic has lacked because of the empty anchor.

"I would love it. it would definitely help bring this area back up to speed, and get this whole plaza going again," Ryan explained.

Wal-Mart previously said it would try to find a tenant in good faith, but after 5 years it sits vacant. Rent has been paid all along to the Kroenke Group.

more...

Retail Giant's Lease Ends at Empty Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,622,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
just like blondo and 72nd's old bakers

and the old target on saddle creek

it time these old lots be used for something
=======================================

It used to be known as the golden mile of Sarpy County," said La Vista Mayor Doug Kindig.

Twenty years ago, the stretch of 84th Street in La Vista was the best place to find retail. Now, at the old Wal-Mart the only thing being sold are used vehicles. The retail giant has been paying the rent for the space ever since it left La Vista to build a new store a mile away in October of 2006. But now that the lease has ended, the grip is gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
Annette Ryan, owns Amber Ray's Tanning in the same complex. She says her place has a great clientele but the walk-in traffic has lacked because of the empty anchor.

"I would love it. it would definitely help bring this area back up to speed, and get this whole plaza going again," Ryan explained.

Wal-Mart previously said it would try to find a tenant in good faith, but after 5 years it sits vacant. Rent has been paid all along to the Kroenke Group.

more...

Retail Giant's Lease Ends at Empty Building
I have heard a building like that makes a great church. Nice high ceilings...plenty of room to divide up into classrooms, etc.

No idea what the rent would be, or how much it would cost to purchase...if it would be viable.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,550,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I have heard a building like that makes a great church. Nice high ceilings...plenty of room to divide up into classrooms, etc.

No idea what the rent would be, or how much it would cost to purchase...if it would be viable.

considering ambassador's worship center is in the old walmart on 103rd and fort,

I could see the one on 84th in lavista becoming a church

Old 03-11-2011, 07:11 PM

737 posts, read 1,918,127 times
I would be in favor of making it a Paintball Arena.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

624 posts, read 1,310,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
I would be in favor of making it a Paintball Arena.
That would be sweeeeet.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 AM

306 posts, read 714,957 times
Joel Osteen satellite church perhaps?

All kidding aside, there are plans to redevelop that mile long stretch along 84th Street:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011020...702099981/1122

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
Joel Osteen satellite church perhaps?
That would be awesome. I've wanted to give him a swift kick in the balls for some time now and him coming to Omaha would allow me to kill two birds with one stone.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

175 posts, read 442,230 times
I had no idea they've been paying the lease all these years. You'd think the owners of the building would want them off the lease so they could fill that space and bring in new business. I hope they fill the space soon, but seeing all the other empty buildings around I find that doubtful.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,087,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheO! View Post
I had no idea they've been paying the lease all these years. You'd think the owners of the building would want them off the lease so they could fill that space and bring in new business. I hope they fill the space soon, but seeing all the other empty buildings around I find that doubtful.
Those buildings are surprisingly hard to fill, so taking the guaranteed income is a safe bet. Besides, if they managed to find another tenant they could release the original contract without much issue.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM

29 posts, read 67,525 times
The owners of the building are in Arkansas as well, which means they don't really care about what downtown La Vista, Nebraska looks like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: