Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,458 times

Advertisements

NEBRASKA:
Calvary Chapel Omaha has signed on, or will soon sign on, new station KZLW/90.1 (Gretna).

Although Gretna is known in the broadcasting industry as being the locale of a large broadcast tower, KZLW actually transmits from a tower with Wahoo with 100kW/20m, delivering a fringe signal to Omaha. (3/7/2011)

Upper Midwest Broadcasting

I myself only listen to 660 and 88.9 out of any christian radio stations in omaha area

plus I am more of a star 104.5 or brew 96.1 type myself when it comes to music. never got into CCM music. it's boring IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 PM

108 posts, read 284,496 times
Not on the air yet. The FCC has yet to process and approve the broadcast license as it remains in "accepted for filing" status.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwnelson View Post
Not on the air yet. The FCC has yet to process and approve the broadcast license as it remains in "accepted for filing" status.

so it's kinda like the never likely to air or happen KOHA TV channel 47.1 (the license still has to happen and the network still has to air

Old 03-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so it's kinda like the never likely to air or happen KOHA TV channel 47.1 (the license still has to happen and the network still has to air
I bet it'll be on within a few days. The FCC approved the license yesterday.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I bet it'll be on within a few days. The FCC approved the license yesterday.
ur talking about KOHA 47.1 right?

andrew wommack and jack van impe and joyce meyer all have been saying on their sites for sometime KOHA 47.1 airs their programs

Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
ur talking about KOHA 47.1 right?

andrew wommack and jack van impe and joyce meyer all have been saying on their sites for sometime KOHA 47.1 airs their programs
No, KZLW.

I wonder if KOHA will ever air. I'd like to see another broadcaster offer to buy the construction permit but Omaha is not a strong over-the-air market. As I've said before AntennaTV, MeTV, or -if the owners of KPTM were to pick it up- a My Network TV affiliate capable of airing a HD signal would be nice.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
No, KZLW.

I wonder if KOHA will ever air. I'd like to see another broadcaster offer to buy the construction permit but Omaha is not a strong over-the-air market.

As I've said before AntennaTV, MeTV, or -if the owners of KPTM were to pick it up- a My Network TV affiliate capable of airing a HD signal would be nice.

I wonder that too and I have a bad feeling about KOHA ending up like other LPTV channels

24/53/54/57 (i.e. non existent)

I think Daystar should just sell KOHA TV channel 47.1 and let Antenna TV or MeTv have the station. it's being wasted.

I suspect if KOHA TV 47 is eliminated, then COX will add it on channel 150 something.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I wonder that too and I have a bad feeling about KOHA ending up like other LPTV channels

24/53/54/57 (i.e. non existent)

I think Daystar should just sell KOHA TV channel 47.1 and let Antenna TV or MeTv have the station. it's being wasted.

I suspect if KOHA TV 47 is eliminated, then COX will add it on channel 150 something.
Their construction permit already expired so it may be a done deal. Only thing leaving a glimmer of hope is that the FCC hasn't deleted the expired permit.

24 and 57 were made unnecessary with digital television as their programming was simply moved to subchannels. 52/53/54 (and 39 and 45 before them) were all TBN channels. Many Christian TV channels simply do not have the audience to justify the cost of converting to digital broadcasting, apart from having plenty of donors in the broadcast area willing to fund it. TBN, Daystar, 3ABN and so on focus on a very niche segment (pretty much just the health-wealth-prosperity denominations; certainly not what might be considered even in the evangelical mainstream) and so I really doubt that any will be able to sign on digital stations in Omaha unless it can be shared with other broadcasters through multicasting, unless some generous donors show up. It wouldn't surprise me if analog 61 also goes away rather than converting to digital 19.

Then again, radio seems to be doing pretty well. It will be interesting to see what 90.1 is like when it takes to the air... still any day now.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:47 AM

I think KOHA being dead will become official soon and then Cox will add Daystar.

KOHA I still think should be sold to antenna tv.

what bothers me about the KOHA thing is that Jack Van Impe and Joyce Meyer and Andrew Wommack all claim their shows air on a station that dont exist.

Joyce Meyer Ministries — Nebraska (http://www.joycemeyer.org/OurMinistries/Broadcast/TV/tvlistings/LocalTelevision/Nebraska/ - broken link)

Welcome to Jack Van Impe Ministries International

(I btw contacted all 3 ministries about KOHA months ago and none of them ever got back to me)

as for k61ga aka channel 61, I too wouldn't surprise me if analog 61 also goes away rather than converting to digital 19.

plus we in omaha wont be allowed any more broadcast channels ever in omaha

cause that would cost cox cable of omaha money if there was more broadcast channels on non cable tv

joel: I btw contacted Antenna TV //www.facebook.com/AntennaTV and Me-TV on FB and elsewhere and suggested either one of them buy KOHA 47/48 since Daystar has no intention of using the channel and going to let the license/channel die and vanish.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-15-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM

Cox can't prevent new broadcast licenses from being issued. They can refuse to carry a new subchannel, as well as low-power stations, but any full power primary stations that were to sign on would be able to invoke must-carry and Cox would have to add them.

The economy is one thing holding new stations back. That and it's just not that many people watching OTA. There are quite a few, but not necessarily enough to really be viable. For example, statewide we've only had two new "full power" stations in the last few years. KTUW in Scottsbluff and KFXL (formerly KCWL, and before that KOWH) in Lincoln. KTUW was supposed to be a NBC satellite station of KTWO in Casper, if I recall correctly, but then KTWO switched to ABC and ABC already had KDUH in the Panhandle. KTUW then went with RetroTV for a while before failing and having their license deleted. The Omaha World-Herald's KOWH was in a construction permit state for quite a while before finally signing on at the last minute, at a tiny fraction of the power they were originally approved for (essentially a low-power station with a full-power license), becoming KCWL -- standard-def CW100+ programming with no local content except ads and weather inserts from Kearney. As KFXL they are in a little better position as a Fox affiliate, but despite being the "flagship" of "Fox Nebraska" KFXL 51 still remains a low-power SD-only station in Lincoln. And actually, there's been a net loss in stations, because with KFXL on the air, KSNB/KTVG in Superior and Grand Island went dark, with KFXL on a subchannel (in HD though) of the central/western NE ABC stations.

So here in Omaha, there's nothing really prohibiting someone from starting a brand-new station... even a million-watt full power station on a tall tower, maybe even trying to take a major network affiliation from another station... except the economy. And that's no small impediment. Now if there's someone out there with $50 million that wants to see that become $5 million almost overnight :P then anything's possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha