Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 AM

23 posts, read 79,439 times

Advertisements

Hey out there!

Can anyone suggest a good park, or trail system in Elkhorn/Omaha were I could jog with my dog safely? I'm an early bird, so I'd be starting at about 4:30-5:00am during the week. Since I'm new to the area, I'd like to be aware of my best options. Additionally, if anyone can suggest a good fitness facility in the Elkhorn area, that would be fantastic. I don't need bells and whistles, just up to date equipment and free weights. How about a reputable vet? I prefer a Vet who tends to be more minimalistic. That is, someone who doesn't seem to over-prescribe, or up-sell. Just trying to get things in line for my move. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyamc View Post
Hey out there!

Can anyone suggest a good park, or trail system in Elkhorn/Omaha were I could jog with my dog safely? I'm an early bird, so I'd be starting at about 4:30-5:00am during the week. Since I'm new to the area, I'd like to be aware of my best options. Additionally, if anyone can suggest a good fitness facility in the Elkhorn area, that would be fantastic. I don't need bells and whistles, just up to date equipment and free weights. How about a reputable vet? I prefer a Vet who tends to be more minimalistic. That is, someone who doesn't seem to over-prescribe, or up-sell. Just trying to get things in line for my move. Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Since you will be in the Elkhorn area you will actually have some of the more rural vets available to you and not the city vets. Go to one of the smaller towns around Elkhorn for you vet and not into West Omaha.

The rural vet will tend to be more minimalistic. If you go into West Omaha you will tend to have the vets who see the animals as people - you will experience the orthopedic surgery for a bum leg (instead of putting it down), you will see the long-term daily insulin shots for diabeties (instead of putting it down), you will see almost human level of medical treatment with lab tests, medications, etc. The rural come from more of the farming or old-school vet side where the pets are great companions, but they are not people. If an animial gets sick and can't be reasonably treated at a reasonable cost then do the humane thing and put it down.

I know the above could spark a lot of controversy and please don't take it that I am putting down the newer extra treatments for animals. I am just responding to the "minimalistic" request.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Right, gotcha. It could spark controversy, but I hear what you're saying. I appreciate your suggestion, and will certainly explore my options for his basic care in the more rural areas.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Hey out there!

Can anyone suggest a good park, or trail system in Elkhorn/Omaha were I could jog with my dog safely? I'm an early bird, so I'd be starting at about 4:30-5:00am during the week. Since I'm new to the area, I'd like to be aware of my best options.
The metro area has a great trail system. Omaha invested in trails and also a number of the growing towns in the metro area have been very concious about adding trails as well. Everyone has done a great job in planning those trails and insuring the interconnectivity.

In Elkhorn and that part of Omaha you don't have anything to fear in the early morning runs.

Check out this link for more on the Trails in Washington, Douglas, and Sarpy counties: Your Complete Guide to Omaha Trails

Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 PM

88 posts, read 106,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
In Elkhorn and that part of Omaha you don't have anything to fear in the early morning runs.

Check out this link for more on the Trails in Washington, Douglas, and Sarpy counties: Your Complete Guide to Omaha Trails
Wait...... There is the occasional mountain lion sighting!!! There is a new Lifetime Fitness Center on 172nd and Center - Nice club, and it's not too expensive either. It has a great swimming pool-plus the grounds hook up the Lake Zorinsky trail system.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse--james View Post
Wait...... There is the occasional mountain lion sighting!!!
That is true, but that's been in many parts of town. Reminds me, I better get my conceled carry permit - or I could just take my dog on the walk (he can be the bait while I run).

Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 AM

Tigers and bears too? lol....Tell you what...I had kind of a neat experience. I grew up mainly in the Catskill Mountains. Early one morning, while navigating through a ton of S curves on Rt. 32 (which goes right through the mountains, and valley towns...) I noticed what appeared to be a huge tan dog, sloooowly crossing the road up ahead. I brought my car to a stop about 15 yards away from a pair of eyes staring at me...they belonged to a mountain lion, not a dog. She stood defiantly in the road, and I stared with little-kid saucer-eyes. Finally after what seemed like forever, she proceeded to cross, but stopped, and continued to stare at me. Just a few seconds later, two amazing looking cubs came out and crossed. They had to have been at least 30 lbs. a piece. Man...that was neat. I am going to miss the mountains...Tell me...are they within driving distance....a day's worth at least?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Man...that was neat. I am going to miss the mountains...Tell me...are they within driving distance....a day's worth at least?
Mountains are generally west, the Rocky's. You think of them being Colorado, but the range does extend north into Canada, so you can also experience them in eastern Wyoming. You are 8-10 hours from the mountains depending on what you are looking for. If you want a good weekend of sking, its an easy day's drive to Colorado on a Friday... ski Sat/Sun... Not a day trip back/forth, but makes for a good long weekend.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 AM

Thanks all. Great info.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:49 PM

I looked into Lifetime Fitness. We don't have that particular chain in NY, but it appears to be HUGE facility. Are there any smaller gyms around that anyone could suggest? If not, no big deal...looks like a great place. Also...I travel frequently, and do not board my dog. I have a "sitter" here, who checks on my home, plants, blah blah blah...as well as takes fantastic care of my dog. Any pet owners out there know of someone, or an agency that offers this service??? A few days after arriving in Omaha, I will be taking off to San Diego and will need to make arrangements for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha