Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM

138 posts, read 264,774 times

Advertisements

Bosco55David called Nickelbck culturally relevant as well. So that's fun too.

Again MY POINT is that relevance isnt just numbers based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
It's pretty hypocritical to admonish someone else for pulling assertions out of their butt when you pretty much did the exact same thing, don't ya think?
Actually it wasn't an assertion, and I just had my timeline a little off. 2003 was the rough year and 2004 was outright cancelled. 2005 and 2006 were a little better though. Oh, and 311 stacks up pretty well to most of their recent acts. In fact one of them, Snoop Dogg, was actually their opening act in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
Bosco55David called Nickelbck culturally relevant as well. So that's fun too.

Again MY POINT is that relevance isnt just numbers based.
Then what exactly is your definition of "relevance" based on? Outside of record sales and concert attendance numbers I can't see any objective and measurable scale to compare them with.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM

And that is precisely why you dont get it.

But you go ahead and enjoy being the band's publicist/biographer. I'm sure it's sorely needed.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
And that is precisely why you dont get it.
Then explain it to me.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Oh here's a good indicator: does anyone under the age of 30 give a **** about 311?
And Im not counting the rural kids or the college stoners that will go to anything 420-related.
Im talking about the cultural driver kids. The ones that are on things first and on good things for the long haul after. The kids that can appreciate Cut Copy as well as Sharon Jones.

Id be surprised if any of them knew who 311 were outside of maybe local nostalgia at best.

You're free to call it elitist but it is what it is.
311 are a 90s relic that were never terribly huge to begin with and were pretty lackluster in their heyday. They have fallen into a groove of playing the summer shed circuit to a core audience and that's great. Ya know who else can do that? The Black Crowes. And you dont see them as a festival stalwart either. The fact that the only fest 311 can headline is one in their hometown is the one of the best indicators of their relevance. And with a younger generation of Omahans raised on better and less douche-bro-ey shows at the Slowdown and Waiting Room who will almost certainly be greeting 311 with a shrug in any capacity, I'd be really interested to see the eventual makeup of the crowd at this thing.

Hell, the fact that your perception of Lollapalooza is of the failure of the late 90s version of the touring festival and not as the destination festival in Grant Park that it has been for SIX YEARS now shows that you simply do not get the importance of cultural relevance.

Can 311 headline to their hometown crowd in a small-sized inaugural festival? Probably. Is it a cowardly, lackluster and bush league booking in the year 2011? Hell yes. Especially in the wake of what KanRockSas put together.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Oh here's a good indicator: does anyone under the age of 30 give a **** about 311?
And Im not counting the rural kids or the college stoners that will go to anything 420-related.
Im talking about the cultural driver kids. The ones that are on things first and on good things for the long haul after. The kids that can appreciate Cut Copy as well as Sharon Jones.

Id be surprised if any of them knew who 311 were outside of maybe local nostalgia at best.
LOL! That's your definition. Hell, I alone shatter that theory as I'm only 24, never once smoked pot and yet I'm a very big fan of 311, and there was certainly no shortage of people my age at their concerts.

You're gonna have to try again man. I don't even want to have to drag Nickelback into it again.

Quote:
You're free to call it elitist but it is what it is.

311 are a 90s relic that were never terribly huge to begin with and were pretty lackluster in their heyday. They have fallen into a groove of playing the summer shed circuit to a core audience and that's great. Ya know who else can do that? The Black Crowes. And you dont see them as a festival stalwart either. The fact that the only fest 311 can headline is one in their hometown is the one of the best indicators of their relevance. And with a younger generation of Omahans raised on better and less douche-bro-ey shows at the Slowdown and Waiting Room who will almost certainly be greeting 311 with a shrug in any capacity, I'd be really interested to see the eventual makeup of the crowd at this thing.

Hell, the fact that your perception of Lollapalooza is of the failure of the late 90s version of the touring festival and not as the destination festival in Grant Park that it has been for SIX YEARS now shows that you simply do not get the importance of cultural relevance.
Yeah, we get it. You don't like 311. Judging by your reverence for the Slowdown and Waiting Room I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you're one of those types who are simply not fond of mainstream music acts and prefer the indie scene. That's all well and good, but attitudes like yours don't decide who headlines most of the mainstream shows in America. Sales...whether they be record or tickets...are what decides that. 311 is solid in the former and does extremely well in the later, and that's why they're going to be the premier act of the first Red Sky.

Unlike you though, I can separate my personal feelings of the bands and take an objective look at the situation. You should try it some time.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 PM

The lulz just keep on piling up:

Quote:
Omahype: George Clinton, Cowboy Mouth, & Better Than Ezra will all play at the Red Sky Music Festival. So who's excited?

Cue the Better than Ezra fanboys showing up to tell me that "BTE still packs em in all over the country and they had the #17 song on Billboard's Waiting Room (Non-Pediatric) Chart in 2003"

Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
The lulz just keep on piling up:
Saw this posted on another forum and I definitely agree that it's the lulz.

"So essentially you're calling a number of separate concerts a festival... That you have to pay for separately... That's like calling a movie theater a film festival..."

Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,322 times
Better Than Ezra, George Clinton, and Cowboy Mouth have all been added. I don't think I need to try to make fun of this, it seems to do the work for me.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:15 PM

Rumors that Jay-Z and Sublime are in.

DJSOULMAN: "Latest Tour Update @Red-Sk…" « Deck.ly (http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/SOULMANAZ/~arYW8 - broken link)

That would be huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha