Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,085 times

Advertisements

Could you name a store that sells refurbished tablet computers or Laptops? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firfir View Post
Could you name a store that sells refurbished tablet computers or Laptops? Thanks
Apple. They sell refurbed Ipads.

Or...I listen to a computer call-in show on Saturday mornings....I think something like ARC Computing or something. I think they sell refurbs.

Honestly though...you can buy a brand new Toshiba laptop for about $300. Do you really need a refurb?

Last edited by Calvinist; 08-18-2011 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 09:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,921 times
Yeah, refurb laptops are yuck. What kind of performance are you looking for? Finding good used laptops are difficult.

Your best bet would be to call the small computer stores around town. Most of these stores buy, refurbish, and sell used equipment. This rarely includes laptops, but occasionally they will run into a pile of decent ones for dirt cheap and pick them up, but it's really hit or miss. They have to be cheap enough that they can still make a fair amount of money on them after paying for parts and labor for refurbishment, which is usually more expensive on a laptop. This is even harder to do now with new laptops going for like $300 bucks. You can't make squat.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Just occurred to me...I drive by a truck almost every day by the Gamers on 72nd and Dodge. It advertises used laptops for $200...and the sign says they fix laptops starting at $35. I think it's the cellular place in the little strip of shops by Gamers.

I have no idea how reputable they are....so buyer beware.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:57 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Many of the local pawn shops sell cheap laptops. Most of them also send out their laptops to be worked on and given the once over to ensure they work. A few even give basic warranties.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM

306 posts, read 714,562 times
2nd Byte :: Off-Lease Computer Equipemnt (http://www.2nd-byte.com/index.shtml - broken link)

I don't know if 2nd-Byte is still selling off-lease computer equipment (their eBay store seems to be gone), but you might want to give them a call. I bought an IBM Thinkpad from them a few years ago and had no problems with it. I also worked with its parent company's IT support arm quite a bit at my last employer and they were all good people.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 142,508 times
You can always try eBay. I've had decent luck with refurbished computers/electronics through several different sellers. Obviously, you'll have to have it shipped to you instead of just walking into a store, but sometimes it's worth the wait.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
You can always try eBay. I've had decent luck with refurbished computers/electronics through several different sellers. Obviously, you'll have to have it shipped to you instead of just walking into a store, but sometimes it's worth the wait.
I've bought a laptop off of Ebay for my father in law....wasn't impressed for what I spent. For $100 more I got the wife a brand new one.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Just occurred to me...I drive by a truck almost every day by the Gamers on 72nd and Dodge. It advertises used laptops for $200...and the sign says they fix laptops starting at $35. I think it's the cellular place in the little strip of shops by Gamers.

I have no idea how reputable they are....so buyer beware.
I was going to suggest the same place, but for the life of me, I can't recall the name. And I was just in there yesterday, lol- I needed to check on how much it would cost to fix my daughter's netbook, which has nothing but vertical, colored lines when you turn it on. The guy told me the $35 is for diagnostics, but if you have the work done, they take that amount off the total. Have no clue what kind of work they actually do, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha