Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times

Advertisements

It is possible, but how would you all feel if we got Nebraska legislators and the US congress to approve secession of Omaha and possibly a few outlying areas?

I think both the state of Nebraska as well as the city(s) of Omaha if a governmental split where to occur. We could either split into a new minature sized state or we may het approved to enter the state of Iowa.

What would you like to see happen as far as what Omaha should do after secession, what cities you'd like to see join or is most likely too.

I'd personally Like to see sarpy for sure join and possibly other metro area counties too. Heck I may even consider taking dodge county if they wanted. Id say remain an independent state. Would make economic sense, but really wouldn't mind joining what is one of the nations more progressive states (Iowa).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,921 times
Well, then whatever is left in the rest of the state would just die. States need their big cities to sustain the state, just cutting that off would kill it. Then another state would just absorb the land and get the aquifer and actually some really nice state park sites. Nah. . Just leave it.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:03 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
That sounds like a horrible horrible idea.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 AM

306 posts, read 714,562 times
According to the US Constitution, secession would require approval not only from Congress, but Nebraska as well since Omaha is in its jurisdiction. Omaha provides a large chunk of tax revenue for Nebraska, so I highly doubt an Omaha secession plan would even get off the ground.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
Section 3 - New States

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 PM

92 posts, read 187,842 times
LMFAO

Why don't you just move to Iowa? A much better solution to your problem.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:09 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,941 times
No thanks.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Oh how the mind wanders on sleepless nights.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
Just curious. I'm not saying that I don't want to be a part of Nebraska. I was just curious what your thoughts would be.

You're not kidding about sleepless night from the mind wondering. That's what made me think on this to begin with.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 PM

350 posts, read 741,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
It is possible, but how would you all feel if we got Nebraska legislators and the US congress to approve secession of Omaha and possibly a few outlying areas?

I think both the state of Nebraska as well as the city(s) of Omaha if a governmental split where to occur. We could either split into a new minature sized state or we may het approved to enter the state of Iowa.

What would you like to see happen as far as what Omaha should do after secession, what cities you'd like to see join or is most likely too.

I'd personally Like to see sarpy for sure join and possibly other metro area counties too. Heck I may even consider taking dodge county if they wanted. Id say remain an independent state. Would make economic sense, but really wouldn't mind joining what is one of the nations more progressive states (Iowa).
Go ahead and secede, the state legislature likes to ignore us, people in Lincoln and Omaha like to pretend that the state doesn't exist west of York or Grand Island, maybe Omahans should start to care about the rest of their state. Rural Nebraska is where your food comes from. Rural Nebraska is what many urban dwellers left behind only one or two generations ago. Rural Nebraska is your roots. In its effort to be a world-class "cosmopolitan" city, Omaha wants to leave any inference the rest of the country might make of being a "cow town" behind. No matter how hard Omaha tries and no matter how untrue it is, the rest of the country is always going to see it as a glorified "cow town". Instead of taking this attitude, Omaha should embrace the rest of the state and realize how much it has to offer. With a growing world population without a proportionate increase in food supply, Nebraska's economy stands only to benefit from a strong agricultural sector. Your rural cousins find your condescending attitude disgusting and if it weren't for your domination of politics, we would love to deal with you as little as possible. I'm embarrassed that Omaha is part of Nebraska when it disdains 90% of the landmass that makes up the state.

Last edited by SCentralNEGuy; 03-17-2012 at 12:10 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,987,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCentralNEGuy View Post
Go ahead and secede, the state legislature likes to ignore us, people in Lincoln and Omaha like to pretend that the state doesn't exist west of York or Grand Island, maybe Omahans should start to care about the rest of their state. Rural Nebraska is where your food comes from. Rural Nebraska is what many urban dwellers left behind only one or two generations ago. Rural Nebraska is your roots. In its effort to be a world-class "cosmopolitan" city, Omaha wants to leave any inference the rest of the country might make of being a "cow town" behind. No matter how hard Omaha tries and no matter how untrue it is, the rest of the country is always going to see it as a glorified "cow town". Instead of taking this attitude, Omaha should embrace the rest of the state and realize how much it has to offer. With a growing world population without a proportionate increase in food supply, Nebraska's economy stands only to benefit from a strong agricultural sector. Your rural cousins find your condescending attitude disgusting and if it weren't for your domination of politics, we would love to deal with you as little as possible. I'm embarrassed that Omaha is part of Nebraska when it disdains 90% of the landmass that makes up the state.
You're taking his post way to seriously. He admitted this thread was the result of a sleepless night. Now everyone in Omaha has a condescending attitude and despises the rest of the state? There is nothing wrong with Omaha wanting to be seen as progressive city, no matter what its roots maybe. I've seen threads about splitting up states and making a new state, its not gonna happen but some find such threads entertaining its not about the politics of one state or another, its just a kind of what if scenario. Hey since you're not happy with Omaha, we could give ya Sioux City as a trade.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha