Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 AM

39 posts, read 160,714 times

Advertisements

To start, here's my timeline:

1984-2000: Los Angeles, CA
2000-2010: St Louis, Chicago, & Dallas
2010-2012: Los Angeles, CA
2012-Present (6 months): Omaha, NE (Papillion La Vista area)

I've lived in several cities and states over the years (as you can tell from my timeline), and I have to say, unequivocally, Omaha Nebraska is the best place I've ever lived.

* Food (real food, like meats, poultrys, fish, etc.), Mortgage/Rent, Utilities, Taxes = Easy on the pocket book
* Traffic = Non existent
* Businesses/conveniences = everywhere
* City Attractions = More than there's enough time for (especially for families)
* Schools = Fantastic (my son loves his new teacher at his new elementary, and he's already made a lot of new friends. Not to mention, the elementary ranks well above average nationally)
* Roads/infrastructure = Could use some improvement, but nothing too crazy.
* General landscaping/scenery = Fantastic (better than any of the places on my timeline, minus some parts of west los angeles)
* Clean, low crime, low sales tax, friendly support and service staff at businesses around the city.
* Great city/state for online shopping -- save money on sales tax.
* Hot summer, but not unbearably humid like other parts of the midwest. Haven't noticed a lot of pest/blood sucking bugs either.
* Good broadband/technology with cox HSI in the area (a very reputable broadband service provider) -- this is something important to me since I work online and need a fast/reliable connection.
* Dealing with local government on getting registered, licensed, etc. was seamless, and uniquely pleasant given how rude/impatient most government agencies are. In and out very quickly. No ridiculous wait times to get complicated issues resolved.
* It's also very nice not hearing how bad the economy is *locally* every evening news.
* And it's awesome to see how well this city and local areas in Nebraska rank in terms of value, education, raising a family, etc. in major media publications.

This list could go on and on really. I've been here 6 months now, and I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about raising my family here. After 27 years, I've finally found a place to call home.

Last edited by idriveabucket; 11-14-2012 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 06:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveabucket View Post
To start, here's my timeline:

1984-2000: Los Angeles, CA
2000-2010: St Louis, Chicago, & Dallas
2010-2012: Los Angeles, CA
2012-Present (6 months): Omaha, NE (Papillion La Vista area)

I've lived in several cities and states over the years (as you can tell from my timeline), and I have to say, unequivocally, Omaha Nebraska is the best place I've ever lived.

* Food (real food, like meats, poultrys, fish, etc.), Mortgage/Rent, Utilities, Taxes = Easy on the pocket book
* Traffic = Non existent
* Businesses/conveniences = everywhere
* City Attractions = More than there's enough time for (especially for families)
* Schools = Fantastic (my son loves his new teacher at his new elementary, and he's already made a lot of new friends. Not to mention, the elementary ranks well above average nationally)
* Roads/infrastructure = Could use some improvement, but nothing too crazy.
* General landscaping/scenery = Fantastic (better than any of the places on my timeline, minus some parts of west los angeles)
* Clean, low crime, low sales tax, friendly support and service staff at businesses around the city.
* Great city/state for online shopping -- save money on sales tax.
* Hot summer, but not unbearably humid like other parts of the midwest. Haven't noticed a lot of pest/blood sucking bugs either.
* Good broadband/technology with cox HSI in the area (a very reputable broadband service provider) -- this is something important to me since I work online and need a fast/reliable connection.
* Dealing with local government on getting registered, licensed, etc. was seamless, and uniquely pleasant given how rude/impatient most government agencies are. In and out very quickly. No ridiculous wait times to get complicated issues resolved.
* It's also very nice not hearing how bad the economy is *locally* every evening news.
* And it's awesome to see how well this city and local areas in Nebraska rank in terms of value, education, raising a family, etc. in major media publications.

This list could go on and on really. I've been here 6 months now, and I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about raising my family here. After 27 years, I've finally found a place to call home.
Thank you for your post.

For me, it is a reminder of the mistake I made 40 years ago when I decided to leave Omaha because, in my restless youth, it was "boring". Live and learn, as they say, 'cause I had no idea how good I had it there.

Looking forward to visiting again soon.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM

588 posts, read 796,670 times
I lived for awhile in LA and a couple of other cities before returning to Omaha. Surprisingly, when I was in LA, I missed going to all the concerts I enjoyed in Omaha. In LA, the cost of tickets and parking, plus the time it took to go to downtown or most other places made attending concerts much more inconvenient. I'm sure LA has many more concerts, but the convenience of Omaha enables me to attend more here.

My salary was about 10K more in LA, but all of that went towards the $1,600 per month rent of a small one-bedroom apartment.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,026 times
Wow that's some interesting censorship on a supposedly free and open forum.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Wow that's some interesting censorship on a supposedly free and open forum.
it's not. Read the rules sometime.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM

I did. Not only is there nothing in there that would warrant this kind of censorship, but a lot of the rules are subjective, and some of the rules are put in quotation marks which causes confusion. Quotations marks are used to indicate a different meaning of a word than the one typically associated with it. Whoever wrote those rules - if you're going to put words in quotes, at least define what you mean!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
I did. Not only is there nothing in there that would warrant this kind of censorship, but a lot of the rules are subjective, and some of the rules are put in quotation marks which causes confusion. Quotations marks are used to indicate a different meaning of a word than the one typically associated with it. Whoever wrote those rules - if you're going to put words in quotes, at least define what you mean!
From the TOS:
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued.
Your post was not only completely off-topic, but it was condescending toward another poster. In short, it was completely uncalled for.

This thread is about Omaha and its many attributes that the OP appreciates.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 AM

That's a stretch. I wasn't even responding to the OP, I was responding to Data1000, who wrote about the cost of living. My posts were about cost of living and directly related to DAta1000's comments. That's not off-topic, nor hi-jacking. Censorship because you don't agree with someone is what is uncalled for.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM

993 posts, read 1,768,149 times
Quote:
That's a stretch. I wasn't even responding to the OP, I was responding to Data1000, who wrote about the cost of living. My posts were about cost of living and directly related to DAta1000's comments. That's not off-topic, nor hi-jacking. Censorship because you don't agree with someone is what is uncalled for.
If you have a problem with why your post was taken off, message a senior moderator, don't complain about it here.

Anyways thanks to the OP. Anyways. It's nice to see people liking the midwest cities instead of complaining about how they aren't "major enough."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha