Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

There is no way around this simple conclusion.
Except to fire all the dinosaurs not doing their jobs. Does the Omaha Police Department have a 3rd party auditor whose responsibility it is to determine metrics on which to base performance? If not, they need one yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:36 PM

306 posts, read 714,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Except to fire all the dinosaurs not doing their jobs. Does the Omaha Police Department have a 3rd party auditor whose responsibility it is to determine metrics on which to base performance? If not, they need one yesterday.
The voter.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Except to fire all the dinosaurs not doing their jobs.
Except that gets you less officers on the streets, not more, which is what the other poster specifically cited as a deterrent.

X-Y+Y=X. Simple math.

Quote:
Does the Omaha Police Department have a 3rd party auditor whose responsibility it is to determine metrics on which to base performance? If not, they need one yesterday.
No, and to my knowledge neither does any other major metropolitan police department. Some of them (as OPD did at one time) have third parties that help evaluate citizen complaints and the like, but that is about it.

Beyond that, it should be pretty simple for you to tell us what you would find as grounds for termination, especially as it relates to traffic enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
The voter.
Voter is going to have next to zero control over the police department, and that is limited to their ability to pick the mayor, who in turn gets to pick the police chief.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM

35 posts, read 59,400 times
Just wanted to say- I feel people drive really fast here- and this is from a New Yorker- I think because a lot of the streets are huge in comparision to NY streets IDK...But for lil old pedestrian me, it can be very intimidating...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 AM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egyptianbrooklynite View Post
Just wanted to say- I feel people drive really fast here- and this is from a New Yorker- I think because a lot of the streets are huge in comparision to NY streets IDK...But for lil old pedestrian me, it can be very intimidating...
Most of the speed limits around Omaha are really too high is part of the problem. When neighborhood streets have a 30 or 35 speed limit there is something wrong. There is a big push throughout the uk and in much of Europe to make residential streets all 20mph. Going by the data they have posted it looks like a good idea.

If Omaha would just drop this auto centric planning and start looking at other options, then we would see things improve and the streets would become livable again.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,215 times
Alright, i just had to make an account to comment on this thread. Omaha has some of the dumbest slowest and all around worst drivers in america, or at least in the 36 or so states that I've visited. They can't wrap their minds around the idea that there is this thing called the left lane which is generally to be used by faster moving traffic and passing. The op is a joke if he thinks people are aggressive and drive fast in omaha. You need to seriously go visit some real sizable metro areas like los angeles, chicago, or phoenix. The reason you've probably been flipped off is because you're slow driving is irritating the people around you. People here are sort of in their own world and have a tough time grasping the concept that there are people who actually have schedules and need to get to their destinations. For some reason people here are convinced that driving slow equates to being a good driver but really that's not the case at all. Often times the slowest drivers are also the worst because they are distracted or are just down right bad drivers. The one problem that is actually a real issue in this city is people running red lights. That happens way too much and is never ok and is never a good thing. Over all though it is laughable to think that anyone thinks people are fast drivers in omaha because that couldn't be further from the truth. I wish it was true but it's not...

Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 11,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I have to admit this is surprising to me. I was just visiting Omaha over the weekend (im from southern california) and couldn't get over how slow everyone was driving. Felt like everyone had lots of time to dilly dally. Maybe I just wasn't there long enough to see.
This right here. As a life long resident of omaha this is exactly how I view my fellow omaha drivers. Many appear to not actually have anywhere they need to be as though they are just out for a cruise or something. It gets worse later in the week. Fridays you see a lot of this and I think it has to do with the fact that a lot of locals are too dumb to realize that there are people who need to get to their destination in a reasonable time...

Old 03-21-2014, 05:15 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Some times I drive fast and some times I go the speed limit. It depends on the circumstances. But when I'm not in a hurry, I always enjoy boxing in the people who are

Old 03-21-2014, 05:22 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee cool View Post
They can't wrap their minds around the idea that there is this thing called the left lane which is generally to be used by faster moving traffic and passing.
That rule only applies to highways. The times I really have problems with the fast lane are if you're going into or coming out of the metro. My theory is its the dummies who live in the city and almost never practice the rule.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,539 times
Because we are dark-souled, blood-sucking mutants. Is this the response you were waiting for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha