Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:20 PM

4 posts, read 19,394 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have never been arrested but someone close to my heart has...and she is under age 21.....and I have just one q...after they book you and tell you to get a ride or call a cab and you do so (she called a friend)...then where do they put you? In this case the officer walked her out of the station to the garage where his undercover car was parked. He lectures her a second time about what she was doing wrong. (Im nt going into that) She asked him if he keeps her license he said yes and too bad because its a really attractive picture......ok she thinks thats an obnoxious comment....then he goes to his car and opens the pasenger door and tells her to get in...she does(yes, stupidly) .....he tells the gate keeper to open up and pulls out of garage with her in his car......where the heck was he going???? I asked her and she said she was scared to get mouthy about where and just did as she was told....he then got a call on his radio that her ride was at the station he just left....she sd it was somebody elses ride becuz her ride was not there when they returned but he took her back.....this guy also failed to read her any rights before she was arrested....we know what to do legally but..

This sounds fishy tome. Assume that this kid would never be devious enuff to make up the story...
Do they just have you walk out the door when theyr done with you and they release you to wait for a ride? You just stand around outside? Where was he going with her in his car???
Could he have had some idea to barter with her in his car and the cops in the office realized what he did (shes a kid for goodness sakes!) and clled him back to cover his rear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 01:38 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Who knows, police are normal people also. Some good some bad. Doesn't sound like procedure to me.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
Well, there are several issues with this.

First, she doesn't necessarily have be read any rights. It depends on the circumstances and here it would appear that she may have not been technically arrested. Yes, she was detained and taken downtown, but if no charges were filed in the process then she wouldn't necessarily need her rights read. But a lot of this would depend on what the actual allegation originally was.

Second, maybe the guy was taking her home. Maybe not. The point is that this can be painted to look really bad or it could be painted to look very thoughtful. Without hearing the other side of the story I'll reserve judgment.

Third, yes they'll just release you out the front door.

Finally, the idea that you suggest that "he was going to barter with her in the car" and then go on to suggest that "the officers at the station realized it and called him back to cover his rear" actually kind of disgusts me.

Yes, there are bad cops, but you are practically suggesting that the entire police force knowingly covered up a guy trying to "barter" with the young woman.

You go on this crazy wild speculative trip instead of simply considering the obvious. Why is it hard to believe that the cop was planning on taking the young lady home, until he found out that she had a ride at the station? Why do you immediately jump to the idea that he had devious intentions. Further, why is it almost human reaction to believe a person who was taken to jail to begin with over an entire police department?? Yeah there are bad cops, but they are the vast vast minority. For every bad cop you see on the news there are thousands of good cops.

I'm not saying she's lying and I'm not saying the cop didn't have bad intentions. I'm saying that NOTHING in what you just described who lead me to believe that the cop had bad intentions. You should also check the source...the person was in jail for a reason.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:08 PM

He was standing there with her when she called for her ride. He TOLD her to call a cab or other ride.

Gee, I don't know, we have the public yelling when they fired the police auditor and wont replace her, (HINT nobody trusts them) a cop who got off for asking for oral sex for a deal from a prostitute...(save it those of you who think a prostitute deserves whatever she gets) and I am supposed to assume they are all good guys?

A grown man who knows the young woman just called for a ride, tells her shes attractive and tells her to get back in his car and drives off with her. This disgusts me.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM

PS. By the way Matt are you in law school yet? When you get there you will have to read alot and very carefully. I said THEY booked her and told her to call for a ride. She gets her rights read to her.
And, where did I say that the whole of the police dept was bad....the cop was there the whole time, the cop told her to make a call for a ride... I assumed someone in the station, knowing she had made a call for a ride and then realizing the cop drove off with her was doing the right thing either for his sake or hers or both.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:53 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
I didn't insult you...why are you insulting me?? And I'm doing quite well in law school thankyou.

You claim she was booked, but then state that she was free to go, which would suggest that she may not have been actually charged with a crime. It also suggests that she probably wasn't "technically booked". Did they actually book her...as in take fingerprints, question her (in relation to the crime...not about generic info)? Did they actually lock her up? You leave nearly every bit of pertinent information out about the charges and filing process, so it makes whether or not "rights need to be read" a question that is entirely unanswerable.

Rights do not necessarily need to be read to her...sorry if you don't understand the details of the law. Even if she was actually charged with a crime she doesn't have to have her rights read...don't rely on "Law and Order" for you legal information and this wouldn't be a problem. Again, I DID NOT say she didn't have to have her rights read to her...I said she didn't necessarily have to have them read to her...there is a big difference between those two statements.

Second, everything you said was based on the word taken from someone who was arrested. I explicitly stated that I reserve judgment on the issue. My point is why do people instantly take the word of someone who was arrested and not believe the cop. That is practically the default opinion of people and its ridiculous. Can she provide any evidence whatsoever that this actually was how it happened?? Further, nothing wrong did actually happen. You're speculating as to what his intentions were.

You DO infer that the "whole of the police department is bad". Heck you even did in your second response.

You say, "a cop who got off for asking for oral sex for a deal from a prostitute...(save it those of you who think a prostitute deserves whatever she gets) and I am supposed to assume they are all good guys?"

The fact that ONE police officer was trying to have oral sex with a person has NOTHING to do with this situation. That is exactly what I stated before...for the 1 bad one there are thousands of good ones.

I know many more criminals who are liars then I know police officers who are sexual predators...again...check your source.

So, basically this is speculation of intent based on the word of an arrestee. Why wouldn't I be skeptical of your story...are you serious?? Any judge in America would laugh this case out of court...not that it would ever get that far.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM

46 posts, read 239,495 times
I have had no bad experiences with Douglas County police. I have found, however, that the Sarpy County police are pretty bored and aren't the nicest people to deal with.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:48 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,196 times
Having been arrested in Omaha I can tell you that it doesn't sound like your daughter was arrested at all. I don't understand the ride thing but there was also a mix up Downtown when I was arrested too. If I was you I wouldn't be worried about the police misunderstanding and worry more about why your daughter was arrested in the first place.

Also the cop you're talking about who made the deal the with the prostitute did not get off (well I guess he did in a way ) but he was convicted.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:01 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkfloridasink View Post
I have had no bad experiences with Douglas County police. I have found, however, that the Sarpy County police are pretty bored and aren't the nicest people to deal with.
ABSOLUTELY!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:34 AM

Thank you to those who had some knowledge of what happens when u r arrested. First she's not my daughter and believe me her Mother is going to be worse on her than any judge could even imagine.
Second, the problem was what happens when u get arrested....was she arrested? ...yes she was in this very weird way. Thats why I posted becuz it appeared weird. Maybe I am educating the reader on what happens, perhaps it depends on how mean the cop wants to be. I had no personal experience.
He took 45 minutes to actually handcuff her and say he is taking her in. The word arrested was never stated and look, with a kid who has just made a stupid mistake and is completely inexperienced and naive to the law she had no idea she was being arrested until the handcuffs. Thus she is at a disadvantage for 45 minutes and the knowledge of what happens when u get arrested would likely have been helpful. Not something her parents are familiar with either.
She gets to the station after the cop pulls somebody else over and she waits in the car another 40 minutes for him to deal with that guy. He then takes her in she gets the pic taken and stays in a little room the whole time. They tell her she is done after lecturing her and explaining things to her and she is fee to ask questions.
Then, she was free to leave. Nobody gave her her rights and for those of you who may be confused....I have a law degree, I have never seen law and order... (does not mean I know everything and I don't practice becuz I think the whole system is corrupt...especially in small Omaha....just based on my experience from long ago)
I certainly have no experience with the way you get arrested (law school does not make you an expert on anything but how to analyze wrong decisions) but I do know you get your rights read to you and I did consult a judge and a practicing lawyer...she gets her rights read to her contrary to any posting here....and here is where the cops have to follow the rules or people get off.....there is procedure that must be followed. This cop didn't do that.
Also, he sure looks strange with the issue of him telling her to call for a ride but while knowing she has a ride on the way to get her, commenting on her looks and walking out with her and getting her into his car and driving out of the station lot. This had the judge and the lawyer concerned.
So, thank you for useful posts....we can handle it from here....by the way the judge nor the lawyer was laughing.....they agreed procedure was not followed and the things the cop did were strange.
My advice is to stay out of trouble and while good people do dumb things..especially teenage good people ......remember that if a cop is going thru the motions or appears to be arresting you but taking his sweet time and asking alot of questions when you haven't been given your rights...its best to shut up.....or turn on your cell phone tape recorder.....always be polite and cooperative....and when it appears anything funny is happening start asking why or at least be aware that he normally doesn't arrest you and then take you back to your car or home just to be a nice guy! (at least thats the knowledge of the judge and the lawyer)
At the same time, the cops have the power/authority to be nice or as mean as they want short of absolute police brutality that u would have to be able to prove but if he was going to be "nice" he could have taken her home and not arrested her in the first place.
The young woman was too scared to say why do you want me to get back in your car...my ride is on the way, you are the one who told me to call a ride......where are you taking me.....or simply saying I'll wait in the station....
Matt- I wasn't insulting you but you go on a bend of the cops cannot possibly do anything wrong and the young woman cannot be credible...nobody on this end is condoning her conduct and MOM court is is going to be hell....however, surely you have heard innocent until proven guilty and you are presently likely taking civil procedure... ...if every person arrested is guilty and procedure is a fallacy nobody is going to need your services so you are wasting 60K+ on a law degree.... I'd suggest medical school.....or I guess the prosecutors office.....THAT job would open your eyes to just what really goes on in the legal system in Omaha NE....
good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: