Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM

116 posts, read 281,944 times

Advertisements

I've been paying close attention to this case mainly because it happened not too far from where I live. I'm getting sort of frustrated with it because there has not been an arrest yet. It's been a week now, so is it safe to say that this case will unlikely get solved? Sheriff Tim Dunning wouldn't comment on anything at the press conference and they are STILL asking for tips from the public about a shooting that happened at 2am on a weeknight. That does not sound promising to me. There's no sketch or ANYTHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Well... when something like this is completely random... it's hard to figure things out. No cameras, nothing. Who knows what evidence they recovered, though.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 PM

116 posts, read 281,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Well... when something like this is completely random... it's hard to figure things out. No cameras, nothing. Who knows what evidence they recovered, though.

I'd imagine DNA possibly. The suspect had to have stopped at a gas station to purchase gasoline to try and start the fire, right? How many people in this city do you think goes into a gas station around 3am to put gas in a gas can? But then again, I'm just a business major and I work in accounting. What do I know? There has to be something though. ANYTHING!!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM

76 posts, read 142,508 times
The world isn't like CSI. Camera's aren't everywhere. And even the ones that are, they are usually very poor quality and you can't enhance the image 1000x and get a license plate number from the reflection in someones eye. It's a horrible tragedy, like any murder. I hope they are able to find something in that vehicle that leads them to some arrests. That person certainly needs to be off the streets.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugaha View Post
The suspect had to have stopped at a gas station to purchase gasoline to try and start the fire, right? How many people in this city do you think goes into a gas station around 3am to put gas in a gas can?
You're giving the Sheriff's Dept. and OPD way too much credit. Don't hold your breath on this one.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM

12 posts, read 21,674 times
Quote:
I've been paying close attention to this case mainly because it happened not too far from where I live. I'm getting sort of frustrated with it because there has not been an arrest yet. It's been a week now, so is it safe to say that this case will unlikely get solved? Sheriff Tim Dunning wouldn't comment on anything at the press conference and they are STILL asking for tips from the public about a shooting that happened at 2am on a weeknight. That does not sound promising to me. There's no sketch or ANYTHING.
Quote:
I'd imagine DNA possibly. The suspect had to have stopped at a gas station to purchase gasoline to try and start the fire, right? How many people in this city do you think goes into a gas station around 3am to put gas in a gas can? But then again, I'm just a business major and I work in accounting. What do I know? There has to be something though. ANYTHING!!
I've been traveling and just got back into town, so I really haven't heard much about this murder and certainly don't have any "inside" information from my contacts in the departments, but if this was a murder that happened late at night in West Omaha/Douglas County it's very possible there were no witnesses and even if there were witnesses they may not have got a good enough look at the killer to help much. Security footage from a gas station would be good, but that's assuming he didn't get the gas hours or even days before. DNA would be good, but then we'd have to have the killer's DNA already on file to match it. If that hasn't happened, we can try checking after the fact, perhaps if the killer was arrested for another crime.

Unfortunately, these things sometimes take time and yes, occasionally they don't get solved for years after and sometimes it never gets solved. We'll just have to be patient and see how it plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
You're giving the Sheriff's Dept. and OPD way too much credit. Don't hold your breath on this one.
First off, I think you're a generally police hating type as every thread I've seen you post on has some sort of snide remark about us. You're wrong here too. From what little I know this happened in DCSO's jurisdiction so OPD is not going to be involved in anything more than a support role, if that. Beyond that, OPD has some top notch homicide detectives and if there is evidence out there they will find it.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
I read the car was found at 43rd and Charles. Does OPD not have cops that regularly work that area, and cops that have relationships with people in that area? Does OPD not do community policing with the people in that area? But if they want to throw their hands up and say not my jurisdiction, I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Quote:
The OPD happens to have one of the highest clearance rates in the country.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:45 PM

12 posts, read 21,674 times
Quote:
I read the car was found at 43rd and Charles. Does OPD not have cops that regularly work that area, and cops that have relationships with people in that area? Does OPD not do community policing with the people in that area? But if they want to throw their hands up and say not my jurisdiction, I wouldn't be surprised.
The murder (the actual crime that determines jurisdiction) happened in unincorporated Douglas County from my understanding. Because of that, it is DCSO's case. They can and probably have asked for and received help from OPD, but it is still DCSO's case. Also, since the Sheriffs Department is a county entity, they technically have jurisdictional overlap into the Omaha city limits, though they pretty much stay out except for courthouse work and serving warrants. OPD does not have jurisdictional overlap into Douglas County though. That said, the two departments have a solid working relationship and we occasionally give them assistance as needed, especially on things like air support and SWAT work since they just finally started their own SWAT team about a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
The OPD happens to have one of the highest clearance rates in the country.
I never worked in homicide, but I remember when I was there a few of the homicide guys said that they were something like top 10 in cities with more than 250,000 people. Very impressive, those guys.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM

181 posts, read 358,332 times
Quote:
Vodka and charcoal starter are combustible too. More accelerates out there than gasoline. I once had a large fireworks cannon thing that had a bad fuse. Put some rubbing alcohol on the fuse area, made a trail of it to where I was, about 10 feet away, lit the alcohol, enjoyed my $25 fireworks display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha