Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 20,012 times

Advertisements

My husband and our son may move to Omaha next year, where he has some family.

Is there any catch to cheap rent? We're currently paying rent, with electric and garbage. I've seen a few places mention a water bill? What is average electric cost?

What is the average cost of daycare? I'm paying $100/week for PT family group daycare. (Our little one will turn 5 next October, so may not start kindergarten until 2016)

How close is the country and country views to Omaha? I live in a very scenic, not small town but not huge, area. I love the history and how beautiful it is! I need parks, trees and grass, can you get that in or near Omaha?

I hate the freezing cold winters and hot summers here (It's not humid too often)... Snow starts around end of November, December (Oct snow is rare), and Spring is brief, then it's hot lol Falls are very nice though! Is Omaha about the same, or a little more cold?

Around here there are things to do, but it usually costs too much, so we enjoy the outdoors (fishing and hiking). I read a lot of reviews saying how boring Omaha is... But it seems like there is a little of everything!

Lastly how long does it take to find work, on average? I'm studying human services, and the hubby would do a little of anything.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1009 View Post
Is there any catch to cheap rent? We're currently paying rent, with electric and garbage. I've seen a few places mention a water bill? What is average electric cost?
No catch, though I'd recommend buying as the low cost of living here makes it a better proposition than renting, at least long term. Average electric bill is going to depend on a lot of variables but Omaha (and most of Nebraska) have public rather than private utilities, so our rates are some of the cheapest in the entire country.

Quote:
How close is the country and country views to Omaha? I live in a very scenic, not small town but not huge, area. I love the history and how beautiful it is! I need parks, trees and grass, can you get that in or near Omaha?
The Omaha area is basically a metro area surrounded by rural country so yes, scenic country views are close by. There is a lot of great scenery to the north of Omaha, Fontennelle Forest, lots of parks...etc.

Quote:
I hate the freezing cold winters and hot summers here (It's not humid too often)... Snow starts around end of November, December (Oct snow is rare), and Spring is brief, then it's hot lol Falls are very nice though! Is Omaha about the same, or a little more cold?
I personally didn't think the weather was too bad in Omaha. The winters are really not bad at all (on average) though the summer can get a little hot and humid.

I live in Florida now where there are basically two seasons: "Hot as hell" and "Slightly less hot".

Quote:
Around here there are things to do, but it usually costs too much, so we enjoy the outdoors (fishing and hiking). I read a lot of reviews saying how boring Omaha is... But it seems like there is a little of everything!
Anyone who tells you Omaha is boring is simply a boring person. There is loads to do all over Omaha, much of it for low costs.

This is a good place to start. Omaha Attractions - Museums, Omaha Zoo & Historic Sites

Quote:
Lastly how long does it take to find work, on average? I'm studying human services, and the hubby would do a little of anything.
Generally speaking, work is not hard to come by in Omaha, though I'm not sure what the market is like for your particular professions.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:40 PM

906 posts, read 1,811,026 times
I'd recommend renting - you'll find it makes more sense when you factor in property taxes.

Winters are brutal in Omaha. They are freezing cold and seem like they'll never end. It's something you have to endure if you live here.

Unless you're coming from the west coast or a big city, Omaha is not boring. The fun at the museums/zoo is a bit overestimated, but overall there's lots of drinking and social events. You have big name concerts every weekend, and you can see an amateur (local) band every day if you want. There are unending amounts of golf courses and sports leagues. Depends what you're into, of course, but it's probably available to you here.

I don't even know what human services means, but work isn't hard to come by in Omaha. One of the best things about this city is the low unemployment rate.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I'd recommend renting - you'll find it makes more sense when you factor in property taxes.
That is absolutely not the case in Omaha, especially with the still low interest rates.

Quote:
Winters are brutal in Omaha. They are freezing cold and seem like they'll never end. It's something you have to endure if you live here.
Again, I have to disagree. I understand this is largely a matter of opinion and some people (like my parents) who had the tropical mentality might consider it brutal, but from a purely objective standpoint the winters in Omaha are not that bad at all. The Northeast is where the truly "brutal" winters are.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That is absolutely not the case in Omaha, especially with the still low interest rates.
I'll put it this way - I own a home, and I have a $1,100 monthly payment, and $412 of it is for property taxes. Another $434 is goes into the bank's pocket for interest payments. Only $200 of it goes towards principal. So $900 of my hard earned money floats into the air every month, for the privilege of owning real estate in Omaha. I should have my head examined.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM

14 posts, read 20,012 times
Well we wouldn't be buying anytime soon! And yes I'm Northeast, Winters here are cold! I did not leave the house on a few days that were below zero! We did Florida, and I actually found it nice, one day it felt like 112 and I walked like it was nothing... I tend to be cold lol So it seems like maybe they're the same, maybe a little bit longer.

Human services is also social work. Thanks seems like good info and a good place to live!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'll put it this way - I own a home, and I have a $1,100 monthly payment, and $412 of it is for property taxes. Another $434 is goes into the bank's pocket for interest payments. Only $200 of it goes towards principal. So $900 of my hard earned money floats into the air every month, for the privilege of owning real estate in Omaha. I should have my head examined.
Just so we're clear, you're claiming you pay $5208 per year in property taxes? Assuming you are either honest or correct, and given the current tax rate of 49.92 cents for every $100 of valuation, that puts your house's valuation north of $1 million if my math is correct.

I don't have any sympathy for the tax whiners to begin with (that money pays for your roads, police/fire/EMS...etc) and certainly not for anyone living in a million dollar home in Omaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1009 View Post
Well we wouldn't be buying anytime soon! And yes I'm Northeast, Winters here are cold! I did not leave the house on a few days that were below zero! We did Florida, and I actually found it nice, one day it felt like 112 and I walked like it was nothing... I tend to be cold lol So it seems like maybe they're the same, maybe a little bit longer.

Human services is also social work. Thanks seems like good info and a good place to live!
The winters in Omaha are...obviously...much less harsh than the Northeast. I think you'll be okay.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
that puts your house's valuation north of $1 million if my math is correct.
It's not. My home is worth $180-200k. And yes, the taxes on it are $5k per year. While I do use roads, I must say they are in poor condition for the price I'm paying. I have never used any of the other services, except I tried to use police a few times, but they were utterly useless.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
It's not. My home is worth $180-200k. And yes, the taxes on it are $5k per year. While I do use roads, I must say they are in poor condition for the price I'm paying. I have never used any of the other services, except I tried to use police a few times, but they were utterly useless.
Then you are not in Omaha, and also probably lying.

Given the 49.92 cents/$100 tax rate in Omaha, you'd pay $898.56 in property taxes every year if your house was valued at $180k.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:44 PM

My tax "levy" on the assessors page is $2.19974. Use that number instead of your 49.92 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: