Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM

39 posts, read 236,955 times

Advertisements

As far as I was told the siren is tested the first Saturday of every month at 10am..... I heard it the other weekend at exactly that time, so I'm pretty sure my source was correct!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM

117 posts, read 527,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
The sirens ARE to be sounded to be heard in every corner of the county as Dave mentioned..
Just FYI, this is not true any longer for the warning system as a whole. The NWS now issues what are called Polygon Based Warnings, and while they will alert and list counties, sirens and weather radios will not sound unless you are within the polygon they issue the warning for. See the following page for an explanation (this is in effect nationwide, but the Indianapolis website describes it best in their initial release article).

Storm Based Warnings

Now, that being said, the Valley NWS does issue warnings for Douglas County a little differently than the rest of the area it serves. If a storm is anticipated to hit any part of the City of Omaha or its connected suburbs, they will sound the sirens for the entire city. However, if a storm clips say the Northwest corner up by Valley or Waterloo, and there is no indication that it is reasonable to expect it to move towards Omaha, they will only issue the warning for the area and leave the rest of Omaha out of it. This basically cuts down on bugging people not affected, which may cause people to become accustomed to the warnings thus causing them to ignore them. See this map of Cherry County, Nebraska for a poster child of why this is needed.

Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

As you can see, it is the size of many small states. The sixth county from the bottom on the east side of the state is Douglas County (Omaha) for a size comparison.

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:05 AM..

Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,153,814 times
Thanks for posting that, I have noticed them doing the warnings with the polygon and being more specific with the areas.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM

117 posts, read 527,201 times
Yeah, it really helps in so many different ways. Most of the TV stations have switched here, but one (I can't remember who) doesn't reflect the polygons yet.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a42887 View Post
Yeah, it really helps in so many different ways. Most of the TV stations have switched here, but one (I can't remember who) doesn't reflect the polygons yet.
Really makes sense since the tornadoes generally follow a predictable path (once they are identified).... with the county wide warnings that we've grown up with it alot of locals tended to ignore the warnings... with the shift to the polygon I'll probably pay more attention (but will still go out and look at the sky - love those clouds during the storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha