Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,518 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I'm new to the forum so bear with me. My fiance and I are getting married this summer, which is the summer before his first year of Med School at UNO. Keeping in mind the normal difficulties of marriage compounded by academic stress, what is the best way for us to make the transition into this new city (we are both native Californians)? We need advice on everything from where to live to where to shop and everything in between! Are there relatively cheap yet quality rentals nearby his school? We plan on starting a family within the next couple of years, so we'd like to find somewhere relatively lasting, with nice playgrounds and plenty for me to do while hubby's slaving away. I'm qualified to teach as well, so what do the school systems look like in Omaha (very broad question I know, but this is my first venture researching any of this).
Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
Med School at UNO? You mean UNMC?

For living let me first ask, what type of enviornment do you prefer?
  1. Urban;
  2. Suburban;
  3. Small Town; or
  4. Rural???
The area has all 4 options available within commuting distance of both UNMC and Omaha....

So start with that question then that will probably guide the discussion.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,691 times
As far as your school district question there are a number of school districts in and around the metro area and all are generally good (some better than others, but all good)... so getting either a full-time or substitute position should be no issue.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:26 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,699,010 times
Elkhorn, Papillion-La Vista, and Millard all have the best school districts

Old 06-09-2008, 10:25 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,014,662 times
My wife and I are both currently in grad school and she currently attends the med center. We live in far west Omaha and my wife commutes to the med center everyday with no problem. Considering all that you are looking for I would suggest west Omaha. Depending on what part of CA you're from the commute he would have would be an absolute walk in the park. In fact, that's true for about any part of the Omaha metro area. You'll find traffic hear a breeze.

My suggestion would be the Elkhorn and/or Millard areas. However, the Pap-Lavista area is quite nice as well.

I'm curious...you mention the UNO med-center. There is no medical center at UNO. I'm guessing you meant UNMC.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
As far as teaching jobs go, I would suggest you apply everywhere possible, to give yourself some choices. I don't know how competitive teaching jobs are in the Omaha area, but in many parts of the country there are loads of applicants for every job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha