Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 24,141 times

Advertisements

Omaha is coming along yes and I am proud of it. But I get tired of people justifying how great Omaha is now, in part, by bashing her past. Omaha was a great place to live and build dreams 20, 30 and 40 years ago too. And a lot of the things we enjoy and are set to capitalize on today come thanks to the efforts and accomplishments in our city's proud past. It might have been different enough then that some of our younger posters may have a difficult time appreciating it for what it was, but rest assured there were many in these earlier periods who were just as enthusiastic about their city and with GOOD REASON!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:34 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,283,275 times
I don't doubt that it was always a great city, but now the city has things that distinguish itself from other cities and give us an edge, and frankly we had much fewer things like that ten, twenty years ago. At least in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,283,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
The bashing is not coming without some provocation. Just ease off of the 'in your face' promotion of Omaha.
I'll give it my best...

Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 PM

24 posts, read 85,070 times
Great pics, star_gazer!
Thanks for posting

Old 07-12-2008, 10:03 PM

10 posts, read 49,809 times
Those pictures are great! I feel Omaha is such an impressive city, especially for it's size. I feel it really is a great, clean, nice town -- from downtown to suburbs!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 33,508 times
Smile thank you!

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures of Omaha!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 AM

700 posts, read 2,598,415 times
I just followed another post from another city that mentioned "the tallest building between Minneapolis and Denver is in Omaha" Who knew...(well i assume Omahanians did)
Pretty nice city, nice green spaces in the downtown with the river. Not many people on the streets except the Old Market photos, is that just a fluke of the photos? After being in Tokyo for awhile, a little elbow room looks pretty good.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:32 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,566,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
I just followed another post from another city that mentioned "the tallest building between Minneapolis and Denver is in Omaha" Who knew...(well i assume Omahanians did)
Pretty nice city, nice green spaces in the downtown with the river. Not many people on the streets except the Old Market photos, is that just a fluke of the photos? After being in Tokyo for awhile, a little elbow room looks pretty good.

You get elbow room here!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM

536 posts, read 2,156,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Wow. Apart from the pic of the basketball game, is everyone white?
I know this post was a year ago and probably has had several responses. I just joined so here's mine. I'm from Omaha, born and raised. I grew up in Benson, not far from 60th and Ames Ave. I attended Benson & North Highschool which have most the percentage of African American students. I guess im the only one here who grew up around it. I had to take a bus to North, because it was not safe enough to walk a mile home. I'm not at anyway associating blacks with ghettos and crime but im just trying to make a point since there are several ignorant people who think cities that have ghettos (which Omaha does have, in fact it even has projects) are cooler than cities that don't. SO yes, 12% of the 13+% of African American's live in the eastern part of Omaha, mostly to the North of Dodge to as far west as 72nd Ave. The shot of "all white people" that was posted above was probably taken on a Saturday afternoon in the Old Market, possibly during the Farmers Market, which won't draw much of Omaha's urban crowd. Make sense?

I've lived in Portland, OR for 2 years now, which aside from a huge Asian population is one of the whitest cities in the country. I ask myself daily... where is everyone? I guess growing up in North O, working at Crossroads, & having a majority of black friends, moving here really makes me miss that about Omaha.

Let me also tell you why most people who stop in Omaha for a short stay don't see alot of African American's is because yes, Omaha is still segregated, like many cities in the midwest and south. You won't see Omaha's culture just from a trip to the zoo. There are a few spots that draw in tourists to North Omaha such as The Great Plains Black Museum & Malcolm X's birthsite (which was a nice spot when I was in highschool, but was vandalized pretty bad recently so the marker was removed, the lot has not been mowed and now all that's left to idenify the location is a street named after him) and a few other spots that usually don't appeal to family vacation.

My suggestion is to stay away from west Omaha and Millard, that's not even Omaha to me. Take a trip to North O, get some ribs or fried chicken, and sit down on N. 24th street and play some bones or craps with some local folks. Then come back and say there are no black people in Omaha.

Thanks,
L

Old 07-22-2008, 08:29 PM

737 posts, read 1,919,201 times

Here is a rare one that is very hard to get, mainly because you cannot get on the roof of this very tall building.

They really missed the boat when designing the building, they should have built a public observation deck.....I would pay 5.00--10.00 dollars to go up and look over the railing. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: