Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,930 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys, but putz85 is right about one thing...

I am too stuck up to have an open find for putz85 rationalizations...

putz85, I am too good for your opionion on this city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,835 times
No putz. If I go to Chicago and tell them their city sucks there is a decent chance I'll get punched in the mouth. As hard as it is for you to understand, people from all over the world possess pride for the city/state/country that they live in. Its part of them. My god, why do you think pro sports teams are so successful. Do you really think its just the "team?" No...its about the community and the city. Tell someone from South Boston that their neck of the woods is horrible. I promise you they won't just "brush it off."

No one has a problem with you not preferring Omaha. No one ever said that was problem. The point is you present it in such and insulting and uneducated manner that its impossible to NOT take offense. You go on and on about the pitfalls of Omaha, but yet get upset when someone says anything positive about it. You should note no one is tearing down your preferred city or lifestyle, they are simply defending their own. I've been all over the world and there are tons of cities that I really like, all for different reasons. But just because Omaha doesn't have an Eiffel Tower or a Rodeo Drive does NOT make it a bad or incomplete city. You can go on and on anecdotally listing things Omaha doesn't have that some other city does. However, you fail to list the things that Omaha DOES have and the things that many cities considered "superior" do NOT have. There is no set formula to a "good city." Omaha isn't trying to be L.A., N.Y, or Miami. Omaha is trying to be OMAHA!

Next, your analysis of the Omaha city police is absolutely absurd! The "two times" you encountered the police is about as useful to analyzing the police behavior in Omaha as the two times I walked by a Portuguese dictionary is useful in teaching me Portuguese. Do you even no what anecdotal means?? Moreover, how many police have you encountered in the 40 some metro areas with populations that are larger than Omaha?? Finally, you've never heard of the police-minority issues that cities like L.A., Cleveland, New York, D.C., and Houston have had?? Why don't you watch the news once in a while...I heard its on 3 times a day.

Further, I've been in nearly ever major European city and U.S. city there is. Don't pretend that because we live in Omaha and love it that we simply haven't left. I could give a rats a$$ about the number, size, or quality of the "clubs" in any city. Why you incessantly bring the "clubs" in Omaha up is beyond me...no one cares...and few in any city would make that a deciding factor when moving to a city. Well, unless they have no real set of priorities and don't seem to understand the number of "clubs" in a city should rank below job availability, cost of living, crime rate, level of disposable income, robustness of the economy, and quality of education on the 'ol priority list.

Furthermore, this is a discussion board...NOT a diatribe board. We're not obligated to simply "accept your opinion" when your presentation of "your opinion" insults and belittles life in Omaha. Maybe YOU should simply accept OUR opinion and move on.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 08-06-2008 at 12:27 AM..

Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,823,308 times
Well, I'll say one good thing about Omaha and my perception of the people from there: If it weren't for all this hoopla then all of the comedians on the General US forum wouldn't have any city to use as the butt of all their jokes.

So that's a plus! Yay Omaha for becoming the butt of every joke!

Seriously, I don't think most average people who've never been to Omaha give it a thought, positive OR negative. I really never did until I joined CD.

And back to the original topic... Things are what you make of them. Omaha is probably a great place for some people, and not so great a place for others. It's all relative. If you're a moderate family type of person who wants a safe, medium-sized city, then Omaha is probably a good choice.

If you're looking for something extremely worldly and cosmopolitan and have the money to splurge, then living in the core of a major city like NYC, Chicago, or SF would probably be more of an option. Likewise, if you want to be in a remote region that's an eco-paradise full of eclectic folks then you might head to somewhere like Humboldt County, California. Like I said... It's all relative. No single place can have it all.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 AM

15 posts, read 68,686 times
Here's my opinion of Omaha:

I do not think that Omaha is a thriving, world renoun, metropolitian, city like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago. Now, I do not think that Omaha in anyway is a boring and not happening city. For me, it is the perfect city. I wouldn't mind visiting New York, but I couldn't stand living in that concrte jungel. With all of the traffic, polution, and buildings, i'd really have a hard time. But Omaha is small enough that you still have that small town feeling and all of the friendly people, but it's big enough that you get all of the advantages of a big city. I'd like to point out that I recently read an article, and it's title was something to the extent of, "Small Metro's with Big City Advantages." Omaha was ranked number 2 on the list. There is plenty to do in Omaha. Omaha is considered one of the safest and best cities to relocate a family too. The crime rate is below average, the cost of living is fairly low, there are plenty of great schools and many more reasons to make Omaha a great city. So to sum it up, I think that Omaha can and cannot be a great city depending on the kind of person that you are. But, for me, Omaha is a great city.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:55 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue joy View Post
Here's my opinion of Omaha:

I do not think that Omaha is a thriving, world renoun, metropolitian, city like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago. Now, I do not think that Omaha in anyway is a boring and not happening city. For me, it is the perfect city. I wouldn't mind visiting New York, but I couldn't stand living in that concrte jungel. With all of the traffic, polution, and buildings, i'd really have a hard time. But Omaha is small enough that you still have that small town feeling and all of the friendly people, but it's big enough that you get all of the advantages of a big city. I'd like to point out that I recently read an article, and it's title was something to the extent of, "Small Metro's with Big City Advantages." Omaha was ranked number 2 on the list. There is plenty to do in Omaha. Omaha is considered one of the safest and best cities to relocate a family too. The crime rate is below average, the cost of living is fairly low, there are plenty of great schools and many more reasons to make Omaha a great city. So to sum it up, I think that Omaha can and cannot be a great city depending on the kind of person that you are. But, for me, Omaha is a great city.

Ummm.. I think its happenning, we have more than everything we need to have a Great life here in all facets of life..

We are Omaha.. I don't want to be NY or Chicago, if I did I'd move there, I live here because I think Omaha is happening..

Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 AM

605 posts, read 1,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
There seems to be a horde of people telling me that Omaha is a nothing to do cow town and there is nothing to do..

Basically being an Omaha-advocate my whole life, I guess its time to find out what I am missing...

Please tell me what I am missing in my life that I can find elsewhere outside of here..
If you're gay you have it horrible!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:18 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,529 times
I try to make it fabulous!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 AM

605 posts, read 1,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I try to make it fabulous!
Me too! And I had a fabulous time demonstrating my right to protest this past Saturday! Had a good laugh at all the bigots who flipped the bird, shouted F-you to us wary, funlovin protesters. They showed the rea bigot side of Omaha. LOL What a brave bunch of tards.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,619,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
They showed the rea bigot side of Omaha.

I believe that side is Omaha west of 72nd.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM

240 posts, read 504,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
I believe that side is Omaha west of 72nd.

West of 96th is conservative.

Westside (District 66) is still pretty progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha