Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,570,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_webster View Post
Actually Omaha is the best place to live if you are moving to Omaha. I live near 20th and Spencer and I love it. Close to downtown and plenty of fun things to do. Good luck with your husband's job interview.

Max
Do NOT listen to this... really bad part of town, probably close to highest crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
Has anyone heard of Tregaron Ridge Townhomes? Are those available to rent or only to buy? Are they located in a decent area?

Cannot say I am familiar with them, but did take a quick look at thier website to see if I can recognize them. Tregaron Ridge Townhomes (broken link)

That part of Bellevue is ok. They are a newer smaller complex. Can't swear to it, but I think they are for sale - not for rent.

If you are looking to rent and want options in Bellevue take a look at my long response on this part of the forum - it gave the phone numbers for a good number of what appear to be decent apartments in Papillion. https://www.city-data.com/forum/nebra...ng-advice.html

If wanting to buy then you have tons of options in Papillion from used to new construction. Many many price ranges.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 PM

98 posts, read 395,518 times
There were like 5 shootings in a very short time at the Spencer St Apartments/Projects between late 2006 and early 2007. These apartments/projects are on 28th & Spencer. Not a very good location. The poster may enjoy living in that area, but I would not recommend that neighborhood to anyone. There are many more locations in the downtown area, of Omaha, that are much nicer!!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,407 times
We are moving to Nebraska soon (have never been there) and have been looking at homes via the web in Papillion and Bellevue, really seem to like Papillion better. Will that be too far of a commute for my husband - he'll be working in Neb City

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,246,309 times
I've only visited in Omaha a few times, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Elkhorn as a safe, nice place to live, new homes on rolling hills...it appears to be mainly young families and supposedly has a good school.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelinkansas View Post
We are moving to Nebraska soon (have never been there) and have been looking at homes via the web in Papillion and Bellevue, really seem to like Papillion better. Will that be too far of a commute for my husband - he'll be working in Neb City
Depends on your perspective... if you come from one of the coasts or a large urban area then NO its not a bad commute; however, people around here would say its long because anything over 20 minutes is long.

It is about 40 miles from Papillion and a good highway - you would generally be going against traffic during the normal travel times, which helps.

45-50 minute commute on good road.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:30 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,474,151 times
Nebraska City is about 45 minutes from Papillion. The drive is boring. During the snowy winter days the drive is long and boring. Living in Nebraska City wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it's definately small town lifestyle.

There are some areas of Bellevue that aren't too bad, but I personally wouldn't live there. Papillion is ok, but the city is very picky about what you can and can't do. The police are bored and thick, so it's pretty safe, but you will also get pulled over for the slightest thing. The city is clean, but that's because of the strict ordinances. You can get ticketed for a car sitting in your driveway without moving for a period of time. Not mowing your grass will get the city there to do it for you and leave you the bill. These are things a normal decent citizen would do anyways, but I'm just saying it's inforced here more so than other places. I consider it a good thing.

You might also consider the area south of L Street close to 144th Street. This will provide you good access to the interstate and highway while keeping you in a nice part of Omaha. West Omaha is a great place to live, but the further west you get the longer you have to drive to get to the interstate, the commute starts to get longer and longer, mostly because the roads to the west are single lane and have not yet been upgraded to handle the sudden boom of growth in those areas.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,407 times
Thanks for the info. We have 2 boys, so schools are important too. I haven't done any research on Omaha schools, but generally the suburbs are better than the big city. Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 AM

475 posts, read 2,237,304 times
Consider Plattsmouth if you're working in Nebraska City... which places you at an easy commute to Omaha for entertainment/shopping as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha