Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:13 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,698,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
What about the military? Get into the AirForce band (large presence at Offutt Air Force Base in Bellevue, just south of Omaha)... get the best of all worlds... Military help for paying for the advanced degrees, use your musical passion, and have steady income...

Yeah, this is good advice here, especially the military band gigs. More than a few professional musicians have and continue to come up through the ranks from those bands.

Problem is, me in the military would be like throwing a fish on land. Anyone remember how Jimi Hendrix fared in the military?? It's probably better nowadays since one is allowed to masturbate on base...

BTW, it's now early August and I don't think Omaha's had even one day with temps near or above 90 dF. I DON'T SEE WHERE NEBRASKA HAS HOT WEATHER, GUYS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

187 posts, read 663,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
BTW, it's now early August and I don't think Omaha's had even one day with temps near or above 90 dF. I DON'T SEE WHERE NEBRASKA HAS HOT WEATHER, GUYS...
This summer has seen record low temperatures. It's usually much worse than this.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajosh618 View Post
This summer has seen record low temperatures. .
Global warming is skipping Nebraska.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM

187 posts, read 663,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Global warming is skipping Nebraska.
I'm thankful for that. I can actually go outside and enjoy myself.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Today (Saturday) looks real rough guys, how does it feel?? High temps (95), high dew point (69) and real high winds (25 mph).

Only a real Nebraska man or wo-man would head out into that!!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,300 times
Personally, I was born and raised in Omaha. I have lived now in five states and several cities in those states. I think I can fairly say that Omaha is one of the most BORING cities I have lived in. The reason it is so affordable is because not many people desire to live there. I guess I am just spoiled. There are no mountains there, no oceans, very few lakes and nothing to do for kids. At least when I was a kid they had two fun places to go...Merrits beach and Peony park which were about the only happy memories for me. They ended up getting rid of both places. I ended up getting into trouble as a teen because I was so bored...and of course my parents didn't help by not supporting me in any sports or anything.

This is just my opinion but I thought you would want to know since you asked. Honestly I wouldn't move there unless I absolutely was forced to. . I don't mean to offend anyone but it is the way I feel and I have been back several times to visit and can't wait to leave... And not to mention the Huskers always lose to OU.....Again no offense but it is True.. Hopefully the football team will improve pretty soon..

Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM

I hear you and appreciate your input, Rae.

One thing I don't like is that I'm figuring out the Omaha area is rather unusually humid. Kansas City isn't too far away and it's not nearly as humid there. South Dakota and Minnesota are much drier. I am from the Northeast and I think humidity really BLOWS! Why is it so darn humid around Omaha? Anyone know??

On another note, apparently this recession is so darn severe that people can't even find the money to pack up and move (mainly talking about middle-class and working families here).

But surely younger people and people who don't need a Mayflower rig to move must be heading to the Omaha area to find work, right?

Are you Omaha-ites hearing about or witnessing any influx of more mobile job seekers from other states? If so, what's the scoop? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,286 times
We have been fortunate also with not having alot of severe weather this year. I hate Tornados.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:04 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times
We don't have huge influx, as far as I know, but we have been growing a little bit faster lately, probably because people aren't moving away as much.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
We don't have huge influx, as far as I know, but we have been growing a little bit faster lately, probably because people aren't moving away as much.
The demographics are also the youngest of any city in the Midwest. That explains much of the local growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha