Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 35,643 times

Advertisements

Well we were suppose to move to Indiana but a better opportunity came from a company in Omaha. We currently live in NC, only been here a little over a year. I have never been to Nebraska and the only things I know about Omaha are steaks and cold weather Any helpful info would be great. Looking for a nice house in a safe community with lots of activities for children. Would like to stay at around 500,000 for a house. We are making the trip to Nebraska in a couple weeks to see for ourselves but any tips or helpful info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:37 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galady View Post
Well we were suppose to move to Indiana but a better opportunity came from a company in Omaha. We currently live in NC, only been here a little over a year. I have never been to Nebraska and the only things I know about Omaha are steaks and cold weather Any helpful info would be great. Looking for a nice house in a safe community with lots of activities for children. Would like to stay at around 500,000 for a house. We are making the trip to Nebraska in a couple weeks to see for ourselves but any tips or helpful info would be great.
We do have some cold weather in the winter for a bit of time, but it won't be as bad as you may think and a consolation to that is that you will have a much less heat/humidity problem here that you do in NC..

500,000 for a house will get you a very large and beautiful piece of property here. Housing prices are generally 1/2-1/4 of the price here than they are in NC..

A kid-friendly area with that much to purchase will give you several options..

Go to page (8) and get prepared for some drapping jaws: http://www.homes.com/Content/Listing...AD&FirstRec=55

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galady View Post
Well we were suppose to move to Indiana but a better opportunity came from a company in Omaha.
Well you lucked out there.

Quote:
I have never been to Nebraska and the only things I know about Omaha are steaks and cold weather Any helpful info would be great.
The weather isn't actually too cold in Omaha. I think Indiana is worse probably. Anyways, what exactly where you looking to know about Omaha? Someone here can surely help you out with the specifics, in the meantime here are a few general links.

Omaha Wiki

Live - Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce

Live - Learn the Lingo

Live - Neighborhoods & Housing - Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce

Quote:
Looking for a nice house in a safe community with lots of activities for children.
Omaha is very safe with the exceptions of a few neighborhoods in northeast and southeast parts of town. The last link I posted above explains some of the neighborhoods and parts of town that are available.

Quote:
Would like to stay at around 500,000 for a house.
$500,000 will go a LONG ways in Omaha. I've seen smaller, two bedroom houses in decent neighborhoods for $50k- $80k and even out in the newer, suburban parts of west Omaha you have plenty of options under $200k. With $500k to spend you could pretty much have any house you wanted in Omaha.

Quote:
We are making the trip to Nebraska in a couple weeks to see for ourselves but any tips or helpful info would be great.
We'll be glad to help. Just kinda give us a more specific idea of what you're looking for.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Default ..

Also..

Omaha has become a rather high-demand area..

Our population has begun to swell the last 15 years..

Our metro population is reaching 900,000, and if you include the Lincoln metro which is a stone's throw away (literally less than 25 miles from the edge of Omaha city limit to the edge of Lincoln city limit) you have a very high population that is approaching 1.3 million people..

So your options here are numerous..

Largest cities per 2008 census:
Omaha - 438,646*
Lincoln - 251,624
Council Bluffs- 59,536**
Bellevue - 49,699***
Fremont - 25,224 ****
Papillion - 23,739
La Vista - 16,643
Gretna - 6,572*****

*The Elkhorn annexation will not be counted by census until the 2009 estimates, with two annexations that have not been counted up to this point the city has actually surpassed 450,000 people

**Council Bluffs, an Iowa city sits literally 50 feet from downtown Omaha, and this city has a TON of entertainment venues and lives way larger than a city of 250,000 let alone a city approaching 62,000.. There was a special census that counted a little over 2,000 more people than the estimates offer..

***Bellevue has had a few annexations that are not counted quite yet by the census, and its real numbers have it near 58,000 people

****Fremont is a city that is about 15 miles west of the western edge of The Omaha city limit (which is less than a mile from Waterloo and Bennington)..

*****Although Gretna is small, it has tripled its population in 7 years and if it were to annex enough land the city could literally hit 10,000 people now and the amount of homes in this area give the city one of the most diverse range of homes in the entire metro..

Last edited by ehenningsen; 07-08-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 07-19-2009, 07:21 PM

49 posts, read 160,205 times
One of my friends grew up in NC and moved up here. He really likes it a lot. He was in central NC. and said the cost of living is lower here, and the cold up here was at times more bearable than NC because it was more dry and less windy-for what it's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha