Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM

109 posts, read 257,047 times

Advertisements

This is a troll. No reasonable person moves to Omaha thinking it is going to be NYC or Chicago. Also the language used in the post is all troll language. (inflamatory to create a reaction) Probably just a teenager from Omaha having a tantrum. I have spent to much time on this post already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMinSWO View Post
This is a troll. No reasonable person moves to Omaha thinking it is going to be NYC or Chicago. Also the language used in the post is all troll language. (inflamatory to create a reaction) Probably just a teenager from Omaha having a tantrum. I have spent to much time on this post already.
Well, OPS did have their second "Triple Snow Day" this week.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,405 times
What the heck is a troll? I don't ever use forums but I came across this one on Google and thought it would be good place to ask about Omaha. Obviously, most of the people on this forum are hardcore Omaha lovers who can't take criticism or offer any interesting feedback.

The guy with the bar advice was good.

I'll just use Google, you all suck and so does this town.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 PM

109 posts, read 257,047 times
If you desired a better response you should have formed your concerns in a more respectful manner. Your original post and the responses that followed reminded me of how most women respond to tired pick up lines in a bar. If you didn't sound so condescending and arrogant in your original post, the people on this forum would have been more than willing to help you out! The Boiler Room is excellent, try Dario's Brasserie in Dundee if have not already, it is awesome!

Old 01-08-2010, 05:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownNewbie View Post
What the heck is a troll? I don't ever use forums but I came across this one on Google and thought it would be good place to ask about Omaha. Obviously, most of the people on this forum are hardcore Omaha lovers who can't take criticism or offer any interesting feedback.

Yep, definitely a troll.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should have ASKED about Omaha, rather than just coming in and spouting off a bunch of angry drivel.

I'd be more than happy to drive you to the airport. Byebye!

Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 AM

3 posts, read 7,760 times
This thread wasn't helpful at all! The admin should just delete it and I can start a new one that's helpful

Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 AM

103 posts, read 232,995 times
Quote:

After a hiatus, I couldn't help wondering what was being said on this forum. No, I'm not the poster under a different handle. I like my handle.

As for you, OTownNewbie, I do feel for you. I was in Omaha for three months, and within a month, I knew I wasn't staying. You are absolutely correct that the hardcore Omaha lovers can't take any criticism at all. Thing is, they have never lived in areas outside of their Upper Midwest, or larger cities, or on the coasts, and have an inferiority complex about it.

Yes, the drivers are terrible. They are old, usually, since people in this area never leave - usually because they are stuck and can't get out, not because they love it. I'd rather live somewhere where the older folks have some spunk, and in the Southwest, they are always from someplace else. Hell, even Warren Buffet couldn't move out of Omaha.

I worked at a grocery store - one of those ridiculous places where they give in to the customers no matter what - it's the "____ Way", as in the name of the store Way. The old customers, and some younger ones, were terrible. They would complain if you forgot to give them their five cent bag credit (so that would total, what five cents, or maybe 20 cents at times.)

They would expect to get the sale price on a different brand that wasn't on sale. They would "insist" in that great old Midwest stubborn way on having the price they wanted, and management at this place would give it to them. They haven't figured out that time is money - why wait around in two lines for your five cent bag credit?

One old woman customer said to me, "wouldn't you insist on saving 30 cents." I told her no. If the sign isn't for what I'm buying, I move on. It happens all the time at places; things get misshelved. I'm not going to waste my time arguing over 30 cents.

She complained to management about me. I figured she was a person in her 60s who has never lived anywhere else; wanted to live other places, experience the nation, at least; yet, was just always stuck in Omaha, and really resented those from other places, with other accents.

I left Omaha about three weeks after that encounter.

I found the football thing ridiculous, and found people would complain for weeks if something didn't turn out their way. Take the game in which Nebraska lost by one point - just recently. I don't remember the other team, maybe Texas. I've heard comments the game was fixed, just like the one was fixed against Florida or someone 20 something years ago. It's never just a lost game; it's resentment. Nebraska should always win.

About the driving and winter weather - the people were driving slow prior to the snows and ice. Don't let the other posters have you think otherwise.

Yes, the bar reference is typical. That is what you do in Omaha.

I got a Christmas card from an old, old friend in Minnesota (about 90). He thought I was still in Omaha and he wrote, "What the hell are you doing in Omaha? Nebraska has got to be the worst place in the country?"

I don't live in Minneapolis anymore either since I just can't take the cold anymore. But, The Twin Cities have much to offer, however after 13 years, it was time to move on.

I certainly can't wait to hear back from some Omaha people since they usually can't write much of anything intelligent and only make snide comments about other posters.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
^^ I can't believe you came back. Once again, you are the only one talking about Nebraska football. Maybe you should try out for the team.

And I wouldn't be talking about intelligence. You're the one working in grocery stores and taking advantage of an elderly man right now.

**Also, do think for one second I haven't seen your anti-Nebraska trolling rhetoric on other forums as well. I think it is very apparent you had a hard time making friends and possibly finding a significant other in Omaha, amoung other personal problems I'm sure, but I wouldn't keep blaming it on Omaha. Trust me, I've lived many places and Omaha is no different from any other place, it's YOU that must be the problem.

Good luck finding what ever weird utopia it is that you're looking for.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM

So Vagabond Vistas got fired from his job working at a grocery store. How pathetic is that? Good thing the public library still has free internet access.

Funny thing is... Nobody is required to like anything. Nobody is required to like their job, their house, their car, their anything. But you have to be incredibly stupid to, for instance, sit in a bar and constantly yell, "This bar sucks! This bar is stupid! Everyone here is an idiot! The booze here sucks! You're all morons!" It's a guarantee that you're going to make people mad at you. Anyone with even nominal intelligence knows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha