Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,709,215 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if any of the rest of you have had this experience...

Several years ago, we had Verizon cell phone service. The reception and service itself was okay, but their billing was crazy. The bill was never the same from month to month even though it was supposed to be. We were consistently charged anywhere from $25 to $125 more per month than was specified in our contract. 2 years later, after countless phone calls and arguments with Customer Service, we left Verizon because our contract was over.

At that time we went to Alltel. It was fantastic. Our bill never varied more than a couple pennies per month, due to either 30 or 31 days. No problems. No questions. No over-charges. Unlimited text messaging, etc.

Then along comes the merger in October of 2009.

All accounts were supposed to remain exactly as they were with Alltel, but IMMEDIATELY after switching over to Verizon, I started having the same crazy over-charges, etc. One month was $109 more than it ever had been with Alltel, and other months have been crazy as well.

Verizon, of course, claims that EVERYTHING is exactly as it was, but obviously they are lying.

Has anyone else in the Omaha area had this problem with Verizon, or is it just me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:21 PM

370 posts, read 1,359,020 times
I had First Cellular Omaha starting in 1991, which sold to Nebraska Cellular, then Aliant, then Alltell and now Verizon.

I've heard so many horror stories about Verizon and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

So apparently, your mileage may vary.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:46 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,428,324 times
I switched from Verizon to AT&T in July of 2007 and have never looked back. Now, I haven't had the problems you had (though I was a victim of predatory billing in early 2005 from them...after which I had a steady bill)...but I hated their customer service and lock down of an operating system.

I haven't really looked back. Love AT&T...yes it has a few problems, but the customer service is so much better!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM

14,569 posts, read 23,098,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
i switched from verizon to at&t in july of 2007 and have never looked back. Now, i haven't had the problems you had (though i was a victim of predatory billing in early 2005 from them...after which i had a steady bill)...but i hated their customer service and lock down of an operating system.

I haven't really looked back. Love at&t...yes it has a few problems, but the customer service is so much better!
+1

Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM

124 posts, read 309,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsThisOneTaken? View Post
I had First Cellular Omaha starting in 1991, which sold to Nebraska Cellular, then Aliant, then Alltell and now Verizon.

I've heard so many horror stories about Verizon and have had nothing but good experiences with them.

So apparently, your mileage may vary.
That's the problem with cell phone companies. There's never a consistently bad or good company, otherwise there would only be one.

I had Cricket when I first moved here, and liked it for awhile but then it seemed like their prices were going up, and up, and up. I switched to Verizon for about 6 months and it was meh. I don't remember what phone I had but I HATED it and it seemed like the most important places I needed it to work it wouldn't. I ended up giving the phone to a friend and they took over my contract.

Now I'm on AT&T because my boyfriend's mom let me join their family plan and I pay 15 bucks a month. Sure, we share minutes, but none of us use our phones that much and we have a zillion rollover minutes.

I think when it comes to choosing the best one, you really just have to go with what you want the phone for. If you'll be talking a lot, texting a lot, roaming a lot, etc. I still wish we had T-Mobile here though.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 PM

8 posts, read 38,185 times
No T-Mobile? Wow, I guess I'll have to worry about that along with everything else.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 PM

193 posts, read 657,162 times
This isn't the same problem, but I just realized that Verizon charges $2 a MB for data charges! That's as much as AT&T charges with the iPhone when you're over seas. Maybe it's less if you have some data plan, but still.

Just wanted to vent... carry on.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:05 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,014,264 times
Omaha,

I've actually had the exact opposite experience. I used to have Alltel and now that the merger has taken place I wish I would have made the switch a long time ago.

Ultimately, i think they all kind of suck. But so far I'm pretty happy with Verizon.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM

19 posts, read 91,775 times
Hmm, how can the bill vary so much if you don't go beyond your monthly minutes? I am with Verizon, and my bill is roughly the same every month, unless I happen to use Internet with my phone--which I do rather occasionally.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:08 PM

35 posts, read 175,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm wondering if any of the rest of you have had this experience...

Several years ago, we had Verizon cell phone service. The reception and service itself was okay, but their billing was crazy. The bill was never the same from month to month even though it was supposed to be. We were consistently charged anywhere from $25 to $125 more per month than was specified in our contract. 2 years later, after countless phone calls and arguments with Customer Service, we left Verizon because our contract was over.

At that time we went to Alltel. It was fantastic. Our bill never varied more than a couple pennies per month, due to either 30 or 31 days. No problems. No questions. No over-charges. Unlimited text messaging, etc.

Then along comes the merger in October of 2009.

All accounts were supposed to remain exactly as they were with Alltel, but IMMEDIATELY after switching over to Verizon, I started having the same crazy over-charges, etc. One month was $109 more than it ever had been with Alltel, and other months have been crazy as well.

Verizon, of course, claims that EVERYTHING is exactly as it was, but obviously they are lying.

Has anyone else in the Omaha area had this problem with Verizon, or is it just me?

Wow, your experience is identical to mine with verizon. I sure wish we had alltel back. Never had a problem with alltel in the six years we were customers, they even let me out of a smart phone contract that I wasnt using anymore without a penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha