Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 AM

8 posts, read 38,190 times

Advertisements

I'm living in St. Louis currently, but I'm being forced by my employer to relocate to either Omaha or Coral Springs, Florida. I've lived in Omaha before, and I know the winters can be brutal. Property taxes seem very high although the overall cost of living probably isn't bad. With Coral Springs of course there would be hurricanes, and I'm sure there is more crime and a higher overall cost of living. I'm really torn because I'm more familiar with Omaha, but Coral Springs just seems so enticing. I have one daughter, but she is going to finish High School here before relocating so schools aren't really a factor. Many of the advantages or disadvantages between Omaha and Coral Springs seem pretty obvious, but if you were in my shoes which would you choose, and what would be the determining factors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,716,337 times
Being a Midwesterner, I make myself feel better by saying that I can just go in my house to escape any blizzard. Not so with hurricanes, earthquakes and forest fires.

Really though, the decision belongs to nobody but you. You'll figure it out. Beside, it's not really as though either Omaha or Coral Springs would be a BAD place to live.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:28 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,107,195 times
I moved from Omaha to Tampa (not willingly) and now less than 10 years later I'm dying to move back to Omaha.

Florida is tempting at first, but it sucks in a lot of ways too. I don't know much about Coral Springs, but it's in Florida and that enough would keep me away.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 AM

3,277 posts, read 3,532,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I moved from Omaha to Tampa (not willingly) and now less than 10 years later I'm dying to move back to Omaha.

Florida is tempting at first, but it sucks in a lot of ways too. I don't know much about Coral Springs, but it's in Florida and that enough would keep me away.
So what is it about Florida that is so off-puting to you? I'm going to be thinking about relocating as soon as business allows me to do so and Florida is always some place I've considered. But.... I don't want to regret it.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
So what is it about Florida that is so off-puting to you? I'm going to be thinking about relocating as soon as business allows me to do so and Florida is always some place I've considered. But.... I don't want to regret it.
- Oppressive heat in the summer.
- No real seasons. You have "effing HOT!" and "not as hot"
- Not a real big fan of the politics down here, although to be fair I have as many gripes with Nebraska's.
- Not a big fan of the "southern" mindset, which kinda goes back to politics.
- Wayyyy too much traffic.
- Sprawl. Seriously, it's bad here. Everything is all spread out and it's like strip mall central here.
- Schools. They suck.
- The ****ty economy. Tampa is one of the worst job markets in America.

On top of that, things that are the main draw for the people here (the beaches) is just not that big of a deal to me. Sure it's cool at first but it loses it's luster pretty quick. I don't think I've been to the beach more than 5 times in the past year.

If you're really interested in Florida, I'd spend a few vacations down here before I decided to move.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,482 times
Omg, I moved from big city La to omaha a couple years ago and let me tell you omaha is an extremely beautiful city.

Omaha is a very big city, about half the size of LA it also has terrific housing economy ranked 10th in 2010 ( 6. St. Paul, MN
7. Austin, TX
8. Oklahoma City, OK
9. Pittsburgh, PA
10. Omaha, NE)
Omaha is very quiet but with lots of attractions and beatuiful downtown area. Also west omaha has mansions compared to LA. Like in california a $1,000,000 house can only cost you like $350,000 in omaha. Plus west omaha houses are brand new

Old 03-15-2010, 05:51 AM

8 posts, read 38,190 times
Thanks for the great answers. Bosco brings up a good point about traffic and sprawl. That is also a big problem in St. Louis, and something I really really dislike.
A question about Omaha sprawl. Before I left 15 years ago I lived near Elkhorn, and the drive in on Dodge wasn't too bad. I know it has changed a lot. They have built up Dodge, and apparently a lot of folks have moved way out West. How bad is the drive in on Dodge nowadays?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent121 View Post
Thanks for the great answers. Bosco brings up a good point about traffic and sprawl. That is also a big problem in St. Louis, and something I really really dislike.
A question about Omaha sprawl. Before I left 15 years ago I lived near Elkhorn, and the drive in on Dodge wasn't too bad. I know it has changed a lot. They have built up Dodge, and apparently a lot of folks have moved way out West. How bad is the drive in on Dodge nowadays?
The West Dodge Expressway (108th to 124th?) has improved the situation immensely. Even so, I'll do my best to stay off Dodge Street during any of the busy times of the day.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent121 View Post
Yeah, Omaha is a pretty compact city. They haven't seen nearly as much sprawl as other cities, and thanks to a very liberal annexation policy we can keep the sprawl somewhat under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
The West Dodge Expressway (108th to 124th?) has improved the situation immensely. Even so, I'll do my best to stay off Dodge Street during any of the busy times of the day.
When did they build the Expressway? I never ventured out into that part of town much so I can't remember if it was there when I moved.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yeah, Omaha is a pretty compact city. They haven't seen nearly as much sprawl as other cities, and thanks to a very liberal annexation policy we can keep the sprawl somewhat under control.

When did they build the Expressway? I never ventured out into that part of town much so I can't remember if it was there when I moved.
I couldn't remember for sure, but it looks like they opened it mid-2006.

It's a good deal. My wife works at The Omaha Home For Boys with several women who live in the Elkhorn area. They say it cut almost an hour off their commute each way, each day.

http://www.hdrinc.com/13/38/1/defaul...?projectID=253
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha